Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 4:35 pm

Is this a common aspie trait? I've always had amazing short and long term memory.
I'm also really good at math, but only a common "really good". My rote memory my most exeptional AS related gift.
Maybe for the same reasons that little kids have good memories?

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Apr 2009, 6:19 pm

protest_the_hero wrote:
Is this a common aspie trait? I've always had amazing short and long term memory.
I'm also really good at math, but only a common "really good". My rote memory my most exeptional AS related gift.
Maybe for the same reasons that little kids have good memories?

I've heard that some people with AS have a better-than-average long term memory, but it's not an official trait. I myself have a very good long term memory but a terrible short term memory to the point where I'm asking where the TV remote is when I'm holding it in my hand (yes I really do this lol).

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2009, 6:49 pm

I have an extremely good long-term memory, but only for matter absorbed through visual means. Tell me something and I'll usually forget it in a few minutes. Write it down and show it to me and I'll remember it for 30 years. My short-term memory is dodgy, sometimes quick and sharp; other times totally porous.

However, my memory for numbers, both short-term and long-term, tends toward the extreme. I have a number-form synaesthesia where numbers have melodic qualities as well as an indescribable but distinct, memorable character. I can remember numbers far more easily and reliably than, for example, names, faces and personalities.

Biogeek
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2009, 6:54 pm

I have a great long term memory, especially for subjects I'm interested in. My working memory--analogous to a computer's RAM--is horrendous. For instance, I can't do simple math in my head. As for the TV remote example--I can identify.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 7:12 pm

My memory skills are very bad.

IndridCold
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2009, 7:20 pm

When it comes to facts, and topics that I like, I can remember every detail.

On the flip side, my memory of childhood events isn't that great.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Apr 2009, 7:46 pm

i cant remember half the stuff that happend to me when i was a kid, when my sisters say, "do you remember the time when" sometimes i lie just so it doesnt seem like i dont remember. :lol:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 8:02 pm

My memory USED to be SO good! I can have a pretty good long term memory. Some things I have remembered for over 40 years. Not bad since that represents about all my life.

I describe my memory now as episodic. If I see a movie, etc... I may remember a LOT of it.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 9:13 pm

Particularly as a child, I was often able to recall events with extraordinary precision and cohesion. However, this was in my view a flow on effect of not being able to really understand things, coupled with repetitive tendencies (I would mentally repeat things in an attempt to "mine" for information that would enable to comprehend and this constant and comprehensive repetition caused exceptional recall for the mentally repeated events).

At one stage, in an attempt to end criticism about "talking too much" and "dominating the conversation", I would track all conversations, timing how long people talked for and noting how often they talked. I could recall any conversation I had taken part in, in terms of who talked when, the subject matter of their comments, and how long they talked for...often I could recall what they had said verbatim. I no longer track conversations like this, and I no longer recall them with the same intensity. So I do not think I ever had an exceptional memory, so much as an exceptional set of habits that happened to result in inadvertent and intense memorization of things that no one else would bother to put effort into memorizing.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 9:35 pm

I would say my long term memory is better than average. My short term memory is average, mabe less than average.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 12:23 am

My medium/long term memory is really strong, and it's off the charts for anything concerning numbers or words.

My short term memory is average at best.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 1:49 am

Close to perfect for facts that are in relation to an interest. It goes [in order of closest to Sol]: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune, with Pluto kicked out of the club because he wasn't cool enough.

Not that good with life events, unless I was paying attention to them at the time (which isn't that often).

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 2:23 am

I have a good visual memory and automatically pick up on faces, locations, and objects.

But names on the otherhand /:

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 9:17 am

My content memory is very good, especially in the verbal context. My pragmatic memory, like peoples names, what to get at the grocery store, is meidorce at best.

For example: I can talk about architectual history of northeastern and midwestern cities, yet forget the name of the person I am talking to, or where I parked the car.

With regards to math, I am very good at remembering demographic, statistical and economic data. I am not sure how well I do on math outside quantiative and statistical analysis, because I have not used math outside these areas since high school. But contrary to the stereotype with regards to people with NLD, I actually did pretty well at math.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 11:47 am

I have amazing long term memory, a lot of times I can look at a page of text (usually biology related) and remember it forever. I don't forget things I learn, if I'm interested in it.

I have very little short term memory, it's embarrasing how much I loose stuff.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2009, 12:34 pm

I have a weird short-term memory.
Sometimes I can remember entire MSN conversations(idk if that's long term or short term), sometimes I don't. I never forget telling someone something. There was also this game in maths where it'd tell you a number, then you had to tell it what number it just said, then it'd tell you the first number and another one, and you get the picture. I got to 22. Completely forgot it once it was finished, so I'm pretty sure it was short-term memory...but apparently short term memory is only 3-14 items, and it's usually 7(that's why there's 7 digits for most phone numbers).
I'm just TERRIBLE with names.
I have a good long term memory, esp. with numbers, statistics and things I'm interested in.
IDK if this post sucked, it was sort of hard to make the distinction between short-term memory and long term memory. If anyone could tell me what it is, I'd appreciate xD.
Also, my sensory memory sometimes goes into my long term memory, though this is only with particular things, I think it happens with everyone. Like if someone says something that really hurts me, it'll be just as clear as it was the first time they said it in my head.
EMZ=]