When did you or have you accepted your Aspieness?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 8:46 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Ah well, so much for my psychic diagnostic skills. :lol:

I figured you were justified in your hostility, Zoonic. A lot of folks here carry a lot of hostility. You just type yours more, that's all.

I still think Equinn needs to check the source of her own hostility... not every parent is a good parent, and she took something pretty D*** personal in your statement about your family it seems to me. Wonder why.

Not hostile, just cautious. I don't want to convince my son is something that he doesn't feel to be true. So, I don't and I listen to Zoonic's tale. It is interesting to me and I think, if in fact zoonic is being truthful, he endured a failed attempt at forcing a kid to accept he has "aspergers" and everyone else too. Zoonic suggests it marked him and it could mark a child and it is true that others tend to pity, overdo or avoid someone with a diagnosis, even when it's Aspergers.
Contrary to Atwood's congratulatory praise for aspies, sometimes, it is best to call a child off, or quirky and leave it at that.

I'm not sure how to handle my own situation, with my son, and this is the reason why his story got my attention. I have no other hidden motive whatsoever (that I'm aware of). Don't mean to offend.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 9:02 pm

Zoonic wrote:
DonkeyBuster wrote:
Yeesh, Equinn, not every Aspie has to like Spock. I'm pretty certain it's not in the DSM IV.

A lot of Aspies don't like other Aspies... Zoonic's not alone in that. Maybe more vocal in her hostility towards the whole human race, and I think she made a misdiagnosis of her stalker (sounds more psychotic on psycho-active drugs to me). I am certainly frequently wounded by rude, thoughtless Aspie comments and can't stand how some go on and on and on.... I can recognize the weirdness in other's, I'm clueless about my own.

I'd be interested in finding out WHY he doesn't like that other kid... is that kid tormenting him somehow? Is he loud, rude, a bully, smells... ?

I think you might want to look into your own hostility. It reeks.

The stalker was diagnosed with asperger's and we first met when I was forcefully put in a specially designed AS class (which I soon dropped out of) in the 8th grade. Years later he started stalking me. Of course the teachers as well as the mother of this guy had told him what a typical "aspie" I was, so he believed that we were the same. He wanted to reflect himself in me and know who I met, what I did every second of the day etc.

I was mentally raped and had my self image thrashed during my teens, by the asperger diagnosis and how the teachers, doctors and my parents acted. The anger and humiliation have scarred me and enhanced any personality disorders I might have had.

When I was around 14-16 I had so much supressed rage, as a result of having my social life ripped from me by teachers who "just wanted to help by informing everyone", having my parents threatening me with being hospitalized if I did anything they didn't like etc. I was mentally slapped, spat at, humiliated and I wasn't allowed to vent so all this anger and humiliation combined with being a developing teenager resulted in violent outbursts. Several times my parents called the police and had me locked up in child psychiatry ward for two weeks or so at a time. When I was locked up I was put on medication against everything from depression to schizophrenia, was further humiliated and had my humanity stolen from me by arrogant doctors. I was in a clear state of mind, completely sane but locked up as punishment and denied access to the outside world. One of the medications was Risperdal and I was on it a few months and the medicine made me paranoid, oversensitive to sounds, afraid of the dark in the middle of the day etc and gave me feelings of anxiety I never experienced before in my life. My stress tolerance was completey abolished. These are symptoms for when a non-psychotic person is medicated with anti-psychosis medicine, it backlashes. In the end all medications failed and psychiatry gave up after my 16th birthday but by then I was already well beyond traumatized.

After this, I've felt like a subhumanized chained dog who is expected to humbly accept the ignorant and maybe even misdiagnosed verdict placed on me by an entire society. The only way I could find harmony was through complete withdrawal from society. I think it's a survival mechanism in order to keep me sane. I'm still the master of my own mind, I've never been psychotic. As soon as I'm faced with the ignorance of society, the feeling of being slapped and labeled strikes me. People won't ever know the truth and my chances of finding harmony within the normal system are non existant.

What a story. I think you should write a book, show the other side, how embracing the aspie label is not always as easy as it seems and sometimes it is unhealthy. This would sell for sure! I do think kids have the right to be label free. My son does not want to be in special ed next year. He wants no part in any of it. He wants to be left alone. This is why your story is especially interesting to me. In some areas, he needs some assistance, but I also think the additional attention smothers him and he wants to be free of it. The idea of someone following him around, checking in on him, watching his every move is disconcerting to him. (It would be to me too). He wants to be like his classmates, free. It is almost as if he's being penalized for thinking differently. It's difficult from a parent's perspective to make the right decision.

No, I don't try to convince my son he is an aspie. I don't discuss. I've mentioned it a couple times, a couple yeas ago, after he found some books, he inquired, we talked briefly and I said he was normal for him. I can't bring myself to tell him his brain is wired differently. It's too weird sounding, almost gruesome. He knows Aspergers and has diagnosed kids himself, which is sort of weird. A couple classmates over the last couple years he identified as Aspergers. At one point, he kept repeating it under his breath, or he'd blurt it out when other people were around and it was out of context. He has done this a few times. Not sure what this means. If that was my cue to say, "Yes, that's what you have," I missed it. I simply changed the subject.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 9:58 pm

Would it be possible to just ask him what he means when he does that? Because you feel you're missing something, not because it's... yah-dah-yah-dah.

I think that might be perseveration... my manifestation is different, but in myself it indicates not feeling heard.

I'm glad I wasn't labeled and stuck in Sp Ed with a bunch of drooling idiots AND I wish there'd been some identification of the difference so that I could have gotten the support I needed.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 10:25 pm

I'm not really bothered by my family. The only person who knows about my issues is my mother, who has stopped bothering me for the time being.

In the past year, probably not quite that long, I've come to terms with myself - somewhat. Definitely a move in the right direction. I've learned more about myself, and worked to better myself a bit. I'm actually not the only one who's noticed a difference. I'm learning to accept that I am who I am. I'm done trying to act like somebody I'm not, which is something I tried for a really long time. I would constantly put myself in uncomfortable situations, get involved with things that were over my head or weren't in my best interest. I would force social situations, and just end up feeling awkward and looking stupid.

I've stopped doing this, and I made it clear with my mother that I wasn't to be pushed to it anymore. It took some months of fighting, but she's finally backed off.

philosopher
Raven
Raven

17 May 2009, 11:54 pm

No nt understands it so we have to educate them if they dont listen and give you grief move on will be hard but what is the point of being abbused by ignorance.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 May 2009, 12:28 am

About a year. There were two factors:

(1) I already knew something was very different about me and I'd been searching for years.
(2) WP's positive attitude gave me decent role model(s) to accept, as opposed to hopelessness.

That sounds a *whole* lot tidier than it was!

lordmutt
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2009, 12:41 am

I have not fully accepted it - i know that however since coming here and seeing i'm not the only one with a million f****d up thoughts and habits i have accepted it to a degree

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:38 am

equinn wrote:
Zoonic wrote:
DonkeyBuster wrote:
Yeesh, Equinn, not every Aspie has to like Spock. I'm pretty certain it's not in the DSM IV.

A lot of Aspies don't like other Aspies... Zoonic's not alone in that. Maybe more vocal in her hostility towards the whole human race, and I think she made a misdiagnosis of her stalker (sounds more psychotic on psycho-active drugs to me). I am certainly frequently wounded by rude, thoughtless Aspie comments and can't stand how some go on and on and on.... I can recognize the weirdness in other's, I'm clueless about my own.

I'd be interested in finding out WHY he doesn't like that other kid... is that kid tormenting him somehow? Is he loud, rude, a bully, smells... ?

I think you might want to look into your own hostility. It reeks.

The stalker was diagnosed with asperger's and we first met when I was forcefully put in a specially designed AS class (which I soon dropped out of) in the 8th grade. Years later he started stalking me. Of course the teachers as well as the mother of this guy had told him what a typical "aspie" I was, so he believed that we were the same. He wanted to reflect himself in me and know who I met, what I did every second of the day etc.

I was mentally raped and had my self image thrashed during my teens, by the asperger diagnosis and how the teachers, doctors and my parents acted. The anger and humiliation have scarred me and enhanced any personality disorders I might have had.

When I was around 14-16 I had so much supressed rage, as a result of having my social life ripped from me by teachers who "just wanted to help by informing everyone", having my parents threatening me with being hospitalized if I did anything they didn't like etc. I was mentally slapped, spat at, humiliated and I wasn't allowed to vent so all this anger and humiliation combined with being a developing teenager resulted in violent outbursts. Several times my parents called the police and had me locked up in child psychiatry ward for two weeks or so at a time. When I was locked up I was put on medication against everything from depression to schizophrenia, was further humiliated and had my humanity stolen from me by arrogant doctors. I was in a clear state of mind, completely sane but locked up as punishment and denied access to the outside world. One of the medications was Risperdal and I was on it a few months and the medicine made me paranoid, oversensitive to sounds, afraid of the dark in the middle of the day etc and gave me feelings of anxiety I never experienced before in my life. My stress tolerance was completey abolished. These are symptoms for when a non-psychotic person is medicated with anti-psychosis medicine, it backlashes. In the end all medications failed and psychiatry gave up after my 16th birthday but by then I was already well beyond traumatized.

After this, I've felt like a subhumanized chained dog who is expected to humbly accept the ignorant and maybe even misdiagnosed verdict placed on me by an entire society. The only way I could find harmony was through complete withdrawal from society. I think it's a survival mechanism in order to keep me sane. I'm still the master of my own mind, I've never been psychotic. As soon as I'm faced with the ignorance of society, the feeling of being slapped and labeled strikes me. People won't ever know the truth and my chances of finding harmony within the normal system are non existant.

What a story. I think you should write a book, show the other side, how embracing the aspie label is not always as easy as it seems and sometimes it is unhealthy. This would sell for sure! I do think kids have the right to be label free. My son does not want to be in special ed next year. He wants no part in any of it. He wants to be left alone. This is why your story is especially interesting to me. In some areas, he needs some assistance, but I also think the additional attention smothers him and he wants to be free of it. The idea of someone following him around, checking in on him, watching his every move is disconcerting to him. (It would be to me too). He wants to be like his classmates, free. It is almost as if he's being penalized for thinking differently. It's difficult from a parent's perspective to make the right decision.

No, I don't try to convince my son he is an aspie. I don't discuss. I've mentioned it a couple times, a couple yeas ago, after he found some books, he inquired, we talked briefly and I said he was normal for him. I can't bring myself to tell him his brain is wired differently. It's too weird sounding, almost gruesome. He knows Aspergers and has diagnosed kids himself, which is sort of weird. A couple classmates over the last couple years he identified as Aspergers. At one point, he kept repeating it under his breath, or he'd blurt it out when other people were around and it was out of context. He has done this a few times. Not sure what this means. If that was my cue to say, "Yes, that's what you have," I missed it. I simply changed the subject.

it sounds like it all comes down not to the fact that the kid is Autistic but why the kid has a hard time accepting it; and it seems to come once again down to social pressure.

Everyone here is expecting society to finally say 'we understand, it's cool'

Well, I got news for you: doesn't happen. Has never happened. Society will always out some group; if you want proof, watch X-3: the Last Stand. I know a lot of fans didn't like it, but listen to the speech Magneto says; he's totally right.

People don't understand, and they really never attempt to, either. Nor do they care, or will they want to.

Then unfortunately the different people so badly want the acceptance they won't get.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 6:47 am

Woodpecker wrote:
Some years ago my wife (then my gf) told me that I had AS. I flatly refused to accept the idea, and I was living in denial. I held the point of view that nothing was wrong with me and that it was not possible for me to have AS. Some time later when I found that I was not able to act like a NT at all times and in all places, I considered the idea of me having AS again.

That's about the same for me, although I feel like I've outgrown many of the symptoms I used to have as a child. And this happened about 2 weeks ago.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 6:58 am

Zoonic wrote:
I would have been saved so much pain if my family hadn't accepted the diagnosis when I was a child. I envy those who have families which refuse to accept it.

I'm of a generation that wouldn't have been diagnosed with AS as a child. At one point my 3rd grade teacher thought I should have been tested because I was "in my own little world" and "sang in math class," but my mother didn't see what the point was because my grades were stellar. She told my teacher, "I'm sure if you test me long enough, you'd find something wrong with me, too!"

I consider myself extremely fortunate that my special interest (music) was "normal" enough not to draw attention to me. I think society makes more allowances for musicians to be a bit quirky than other hobbies. And that my mother refused to have me tested.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 7:02 am

I've accepted it, when I was 26. That was when I've decided that the only opinions about me that counted, were the ones that I had about myself. My opinions were positive. The opinions of everybody else were negative.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 8:43 am

equinn wrote:
No, I don't try to convince my son he is an aspie. I don't discuss.

I think that's absolutely fantastic. Providing a place where he is loved and accepted for who he is without a label I believe is the single most important thing that you can do as a parent. I think it runs more acutely in many, however, and there may be a certain point when they need to know. I see it as a last resort to tell them.

I have a 9-month old son. If he ends up having AS, I don't see any point in him knowing until he's old enough to be confident in who he is... unless it becomes a necessity for him to know.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 11:36 am

My situation was different. I was diagnosed PDD-NOS at the age of 4, well before diagnosis of Aspergers became commonplace. My language and social ability were too high functioning to be labeled autistic but I had pretty extreme behavior problems. I was an extremely fussy child with sensory sensitivities and violent temper tantrums. My younger brother's crying bothered me so much that I would hit him. That's why my parents decided they had to figure out what was wrong with me early on.

That said, I never really had to go through any kind of "acceptance" process as I would have had I been diagnosed with AS later in life. It never really became something I identified with strongly, it was always pretty far in the back of my mind.

I did notice I was different in school. I scored very high on tests but I always agonized over homework, especially writing assignments and projects on subjects I wasn’t interested in. That was probably the most trying issue for me in school. I was also put in a resource room part of the day.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 11:49 am

Zoonic wrote:
I'm still the master of my own mind, I've never been psychotic. As soon as I'm faced with the ignorance of society, the feeling of being slapped and labeled strikes me. People won't ever know the truth and my chances of finding harmony within the normal system are non existant.

This really got me.
Especially the bit about being labeled.

And I thought I had it bad.

This story has really broadened my perspective.

It makes me glad that my family tried to fight against my being labeled and tried to do their best for me.

People will only see the negative label and will judge.
Many will not see the individual.

The label can harm more than help, especially if there's a lot of ignorance and negative misinformation.

I wish that there was a better way for people to help people understand other's social perspectives on both sides without labeling.

That way there'd be a lot less hostility and miscommunication, plus more understanding.

Filip
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2009, 12:00 pm

I don't know if i already accept my Asperger. I got the diagnosis a year ago and in the beginning I researched autism and Asperger a lot and recognised myself in it. A year later, I understand Asperger and I can see that there are a lot of traits I have, but there are others I don't have. So sometimes I still doubt. Futhermore, I am still in the closet. My parents know about my diagnosis and my mother told some family members, but there are still a lot of people who don't know about my condition. Like at work, nobody (except one colleague) knows and nobody suspects. As a result, I don't really talk about Asperger. For that reason I started a blog (in Dutch, because it easier for me to express myself) and that helps to accept it and learn more about it.

philosopher
Raven
Raven

18 May 2009, 12:47 pm

I got my diagnosis two years ago at 40 it has been a mixed blessing.Since i can remember i thought what does everyone seem to know that i dont.I was medically retired for another reason and eventually through Internet research diagnosed myself.The diagnosis has made me like myself but others want to hold onto a negative view of me.Iam in the process of moving city to go to university to start again it is very difficult but in my brighter moments i feel as free as a bird.My main problem is loneliness i get on like a house on fire with some individuals but in a group become invisible.The diagnosis which i have had confirmed has changed my life i feel good that i worked it out but disappointed that others seem to see it as an excuse for my perceived bad behaviour.My feeling is aspies are more human than nts they have there moments but live in a dream.