yes 84%  84%  [ 48 ]
no 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
I like to press zi button 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 57

MKDP
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2009, 2:20 pm

I have autism, not Asperger's. Savant high functioning. My problem is I am always laughing and everything is always waaayyy too funny. I am also very hyper. And I can experience very sudden crying sometimes, but when I cry there is no depression emotion. No sad or down mood, just no emotional feeling in that regard at all. I can actually be laughing when I am crying tears. I don't know how to describe it, except maybe is it a form of pathological crying ? And even when this happens, it is so fleeting (can even just be a couple minutes), just as suddenly as tears come, I am laughing and everything is waaayy too funny again. I have been accused of being too optimistic before, but that is just how I am. I have even recently seen some of my childhood films from circa age 6, and I was the same way -- always laughing and smiling and very hyper. But it does tend to throw off some people, because they are certain my family history must mean I have depression, and this is a terrible danger for misdiagnoisis because it just isn't what is going on with me. I have a very difficult time, in fact, understanding depression and the line of thinking people experience who are supposedly depressed. I really just *don't get* about the depression emotion/mood/mindset, although depression does run in my family history on my mother's side. But, even though I really enjoy my overly-positive, funny oriented-neurology, it does get me into a lot of trouble when I laugh or think something is funny at the *wrong* time -- and it pisses off some neurotypical in a more somber mood. And that is no laughing matter ! In a neurotypical world, the only thing worse than saying the wrong thing at the wrong time is laughing at the wrong time !

millie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 3:05 pm

co- morbids of depression, severe anxiety and adhd.

much better with good diet, regular exercise and basically taking responsibility for the lot I was handed when i checked in to planet earth 46years ago.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 3:09 pm

philosopher wrote:
It seems to me illogical not to be depressed some of the time wether aspie or nt.We are born into a world that is in denial.No one wants to speak about anything in case they are singled out conformity seems the best policy why are most towns filled with churches bars crack dens gyms and malls full of things we don't need.Loneliness is terrible but dont assume that having loads of cards on your birthday means you are not lonely perhaps we are all lonely deluded that there is any difference between us.Friends are fairwether as long as you are low maintenence thats ok speak about how you feel thats a no no.
There is a light and it never goes out.

I think there's a difference between having a down day here and there and truly being "depressed." When I have a down day, I am able to tell myself that my body is just temporarily unbalanced, and that it will work itself out soon... usually within 24 hours.

I have never been prone to depression, as far as I know. The closest I get is in situations where I'm obsessed or passionate about something and I share it with others, yet get rejected. I can get kind of down when others don't share my enthusiasm. But I can either pick up something else or ignore it. I guess I can move on.

I am very lucky that I am able to do this. It makes me wonder, in fact, if I really have AS.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 5:58 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
The more I try to suppress who I naturally am in order to 'fit in', the worse I end up feeling. And being forced to be around large numbers of people, day in, day out (as I used to in the previous job that sparked the last bad episode) does bad things to my brain chemistry.

I think that's what sparked my current depression.

Personally, I've had depression on and off my whole life. Generally I have a few good years, then one really bad year. It's almost cyclic, but stages span over large periods of time. I can't wait for this depression to be over, but it will probably be a while yet. There's nothing worse than feeling completely empty, and unhappy, all the time - and NOTHING you do can make you feel happy (including all the things that used to make you happy).

It frustrates me, because naturally I'm a happy, positive person - and the depression in some way prevents me from being myself. It's also very irritating because the depression is illogical, unchosen, and hangs around like a bad smell no matter how many different ways I try to get rid of it.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 6:25 pm

Both situational depression and clinical depression, yes.

It seems to run throughout my family (at least on my mom's side; not so sure about my dad's side.).

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 6:29 pm

Well I think everyone goes though an emo phase at some point, especially when they're young. XD; I was really sad when I was 10 because I felt like a useless speck, but I got over it. I'm very happy most of the time. I think it's because I'm too spacey to keep my mind on a problem for too long. Maybe that's not the best thing though, since it makes it easier to procrastinate..

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 6:38 pm

My depression started around the prime age of 7-ish.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 6:50 pm

I was diagnosed with depression AND Asperger's Syndrome at the same time (though I had depression for many years before it). However everytime, I went to counseling and such I was always treated for depression and not for my AS (which was the cause of my depression to begin with) cause well...doctors have a guidebook for treating depression (drugs and such) since they dont know anything about AS.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 12:48 pm

I may or may not have a form of minor clinical depression... no one's sure.

I like to think that what I have is Cyclothymia, but it's not necessarily the case - afterall, I'm an aspie, and as such I'm viable to being sensitively in tune with things to such a degree that my lows are real low and my highs are perhaps a wee higher than many non-aspies.

I like the idea of Cyclothymia - it sounds fun, and if you can accept the down phases, then all the better for the up phases. I do have pretty striking mood swings.