Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 9:44 pm

4 I'm Female, Autistic / Aspie and have an excellent sense of direction *if* I can see the horizon. Otherwise I'm like a demagnetized compass.

Quote:
Those with AS may have spatial deficits, and verbal IQ > performance IQ.

My spacial & verbal are at the top of the charts. My performance IQ is, too - once a long delay due to auditory processing disorder was compensated for.

Crazyshy42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2015, 10:32 pm

I usually do OK about where I know I'm at, unless if I happen to be in a larger, more crowded city since I'm used to driving on country roads. All of the cars, lights, and roads are super confusing to me and lots of locations look almost the same when there's so many buildings.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 11:03 pm

Mine is nearly nonexistent due to NVLD. I couldn't find my way to my college for over a year, even though the drive is only about ten minutes. Once I get a driver's license, I'm going to need to rely on a GPS in order to get places.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 11:39 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
Mine is nearly nonexistent due to NVLD. I couldn't find my way to my college for over a year, even though the drive is only about ten minutes. Once I get a driver's license, I'm going to need to rely on a GPS in order to get places.

How does that work, please? I have rather severe NVLD & wasn't aware it could impact other tasks/skills (I'm not saying it can't, I'm saying I'm ignorant of how it does)?

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2015, 2:15 am

I actually have a great sense of direction. Horrible motor skills, but I always kind of visualize where I am from above, and where I want to go, and kind of see how to get there.

thesewalls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2015, 10:39 pm

As long as I have a map I can find anything. I planned out a huge vacation we took thru the mountain states when I was 11. Another one of my quirks. :)

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 11:17 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:

How does that work, please? I have rather severe NVLD & wasn't aware it could impact other tasks/skills (I'm not saying it can't, I'm saying I'm ignorant of how it does)?

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it's a common symptom for NVLD. Just a cursory online search will tell you about all the symptoms.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 11:31 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
AJCoyne wrote:
Dylbea wrote:
Does people who have Asperger's normally lack a sense of direction. I know one who gets hopelessly lost on every stage in a computer game.
Can't say so. I have a perfect sense of direction, it's a bit scary really. :?

Agree. I get nervous, in fact, when I don't know what direction North is in.

Agree too. I'm peculiar about directions. In actuality, I am acutely good at directionality and have an innate sense of north - I love maps! I am spatially inclined too. Like you, I need to know where I am.

Which brings me to the next point.....If I'm ever in an unknown place such that I cannot know directions, I am quickly anxious. (In fact, I once had a serious anxiety attack when lost). Being off by 1 block may as well be the equivalent of being dropped on the face of the moon for me.

To add: being physically lost is terrifying for me...terrifying 8O

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2015, 5:41 am

I have a great sense of directions and remember routes for a long time. I guess this is because I have a better then average visual memory (but not photographic). It also depends on how much I get distracted by other traffic, how complex and visually busy/noisy the area is (cars, signs, lights, sounds etc) and how tired I am.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 8:08 am

I have pretty good sense of direction. I usually look at a map before I leave, memorize the route, and go right to my destination. The sun always helps me keep my directions. If it is cloudy or nighttime, it's harder, but I can usually still keep my direction. It's very rare but if I do lose my directions, then I'm usually seriously lost.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Dec 2015, 11:48 pm

I do but I assume it's due to my dyslexia & ADD.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

27 Dec 2015, 6:25 am

Yes, I have a good sense of direction, with one big caveat. I always get lost the first time, can't remember the directions properly. Second time and after no problem. GPS is a life saver!

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

questor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 7:37 am

I am very good at finding my way in suburban and rural areas, but tend to get confused in busy city and big town areas, when driving. I am good at finding my way on foot also, unless I am in a crowded area. I think the crowds and busyness causes info input overload. Too much is coming at my brain at once, and I can't process it fast enough to handle it well. Once I learn a new neighborhood, I'm a little better. I seem to have a built in compass, not necessarily geared to the four main directions (NESW), but centered on the "home" or "starting" point. I've known for a long time that I usually have a sense of what direction my home or start place is in while I am traveling. It's kind of weird, but it is a real sensation--as I change direction, I have a feeling of where the "key" point is, whether the start point, or a major familiar landmark, major intersection, or other major site along my way. It's feels sort of like there is a place in my brain that is a map plotting area, with plotting tools on it, that has "key" important spots plotted, and it automatically adjusts the course plot in relation to these points. This makes it easier to find my way. I do occasionally get lost, but never for long, partly because of that sense of position, and partly because I do use maps when necessary. I have never had one of those electronic map devices, but do sometimes print out maps on my desktop computer. I still prefer the old fashioned paper maps, and map books, though.

It is unlikely that I inherited this from my mother's side of the family. She had zero sense of direction. She could get lost in a closet. She was alright in familiar places, but no good in new places.

It doesn't surprise me, though, that a lot of other people on the Autism/Asperger's spectrum have a problem with this, as our brains have problems processing info. However, each of us is different, so we won't all have the exact same processing problems. Some of us will be good at some things that are a problem for others.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 9:23 am

I have a good sense of direction as long as all the choices are right angles. However, any time I'm in a city with a lot of diagonal streets, I get lost quite rapidly. This is even true of areas I've been in numerous times.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

27 Dec 2015, 9:42 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I have a good sense of direction as long as all the choices are right angles. However, any time I'm in a city with a lot of diagonal streets, I get lost quite rapidly. This is even true of areas I've been in numerous times.

LOL, yes, I had a project in Tokyo for a few months. Tokyo is a tough city to navigate. If I left by a different door I could get hopelessly lost. Sometimes, I would retrace my steps and leave by the proper exit. Once, I got so lost that I needed to get a taxi home.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure