Page 9 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Lupus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2012, 8:34 am

My IQ is pretty average. I scored an average of 89 IQ points in early December last year. I always thought of myself as a ret*d, and in order to make me feel better I ran an IQ test on the Internet, known as Mensa. They were pretty excited about my IQ, but later on I tried W.A.I.S. III and ... according to this particular test I scored an average of 89, which made me feel bad to worse. My writing skills are pretty good though, all things considered.
Nowadays, I still think of myself as a complete moron, I'm diagnosed with Asperger's but I try to hide it very often. I make myself believe I'm not autistic although all facts point at the opposite direction. And yes, I'm not that good at maths either. You know, problem solving is the main reason why people with autism score around or below average. My psychiatrist believes that people with autism deserve a higher rating, thirty points up at that. We simply can't help being handicapped, I mean, we didn't ask for it. If I for instance weren't suffering from autism, I would have had an average score of 119.
I think tests aren't reliable in cases like these. Cases like us. They were made to test subjects without handicaps. But, that's just me.

Best regards,
Lupus

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 10:00 am

Lupus wrote:
My IQ is pretty average. I scored an average of 89 IQ points in early December last year. I always thought of myself as a ret*d, and in order to make me feel better I ran an IQ test on the Internet, known as Mensa. They were pretty excited about my IQ, but later on I tried W.A.I.S. III and ... according to this particular test I scored an average of 89, which made me feel bad to worse. My writing skills are pretty good though, all things considered.
Nowadays, I still think of myself as a complete moron, I'm diagnosed with Asperger's but I try to hide it very often. I make myself believe I'm not autistic although all facts point at the opposite direction. And yes, I'm not that good at maths either. You know, problem solving is the main reason why people with autism score around or below average. My psychiatrist believes that people with autism deserve a higher rating, thirty points up at that. We simply can't help being handicapped, I mean, we didn't ask for it. If I for instance weren't suffering from autism, I would have had an average score of 119.
I think tests aren't reliable in cases like these. Cases like us. They were made to test subjects without handicaps. But, that's just me.

Best regards,
Lupus

What do you mean, problem solving is the main reason while people with autism score around or below average? First, most people with autism do not score " around or bellow average". While average IQ for people with ASDs or AS or something is around average, the scatter is unusual, with an unusual amount of people towards either pole and less in the middle. Second, unless you are referring to social problem solving, problem solving is not a deficit related to autism, in factautistic people tend to be better at many forms of problem solving. The reason why autistic people tend to score worse than their actual intelligience relates to difficulties with communication, which is a core part of autism. Saying that if you didn't have autism your score would be ** is just ridiculous, if you didn't have autism you wouldn't be you, your brain wouldn't be your brain, so your score could be anything. The fact is you're what you are, and there is no point in mourning over the fact that you aren't something that you aren't. That won't get you anywhere Instead, focus on your strong points. You say your writing skills are good. Instead of focusing on the fact that you aren't good at math and your IQ is technically below average (as in it's less than the mean, it's still in the average range) focus on the fact that you are good at writing. IQ is just a number, unless it's significantly farther from the average it doesn't mean much. Anyway, if your IQ was 30 points higher than it was you wouldn't be in the average range anymore, you would be in the above average range, which means you are smart, not stupid.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

Lupus wrote:
I'm sorry, Ganondox, I think I may have made a mistake there. :cry:

Hey, no reason to worry, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Lupus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2012, 2:31 pm

You needn't worry yourself, Ganondox. I've been raised in Belgium and it is said opinions on the subject may vary from country to country. I just read you're from Brazil, so maybe this is the reason why our opinions differ so much. (And maybe it isn't.) But, you raised a good point when stating I should look at the things I can do. It's true that social problem solving is a tough issue among Aspies. Last December, I was told by my psychologist to ask questions during the test whenever I deemed it necessary. I didn't, I wanted to get the hell out of that room. I rushed, and maybe that's the reason why I lost a few points.
I should have elaborated my point of view, I know that we're very good at solving computer problems for instance. I was told by many people that problem solving is just fine, as long as it isn't related to the way we communicate. Anyway, I should have elaborated. My mistake.

Thanks, I hope we can still be friends one day! :)
Lupus

Cryforthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2012, 2:48 pm

Venerab1e1 wrote:
johnny77 wrote:
Agreed if we were all like Einstein there would be more problems. Most people dont know any thing about how he functioned out of the "lab". He had a lot of help but thats history now. I have a high I.Q. but I would give any one 20 points off it to function better and to comunicate better with the average joe. What good is a hight I.Q. number if you cant comuicate you're thoughts. The last test given by New York state when I was a teen was 155 but you look at my speling and gramer you would not belive it.

So in other words I.Q. is worthless as a test in real life. Genius my :!: :!: :!: I have to be reminded to pay bills, feed the animals, put gas in the car, ect.

I agree, having a high IQ is pretty worthless when you still have low emotional intelligence and poor social skills, either of which is more important then IQ in the modern world. If you have trouble communicating your own thoughts NT's will still think you lack intelligence anyway, because communicating their thoughts comes naturally whereas we have to think about everything we say.

I have agree with this to.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 3:23 pm

Ganondox wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Personally, I learned I have poor working memory and processing speed, which goes a long way towards explaining my crappy math. By researching "help" for students with these disabilities, I also learned I had instituted many of the recommended strategies on my own without having to be told.

I may be dumb, but I'm a highly creative dunce.

Well I also have poor working memory and low PSI, yet I'm create at math. Hmm...

Just a thought, it seems that relatively low WMI / PSI and higher VCI / PRI (POI) is a common characteristic of ASDs:

http://books.google.hu/books?id=taaLZsy ... &q&f=false
(pages 247-249)

I tested relatively good at WMI (equal to VCI), but I used three different techniques to improve my performance at digit span that are learned skills, not innate abilities. It's very likely that if I'd been tested at a much younger age I'd have scored lower relative to VCI, not having learned about those techniques yet (visualizing, grouping, simultaneous memory extension by phonetic memory).

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 4:26 pm

OJani wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Personally, I learned I have poor working memory and processing speed, which goes a long way towards explaining my crappy math. By researching "help" for students with these disabilities, I also learned I had instituted many of the recommended strategies on my own without having to be told.

Well I also have poor working memory and low PSI, yet I'm create at math. Hmm...

Just a thought, it seems that relatively low WMI / PSI and higher VCI / PRI (POI) is a common characteristic of ASDs:

I just want to say that there is as much variation in AS as there is in the general population. These things written about VCI>PMI and low WMI and PSI should be taken with a grain of salt. This is like saying that NTs tend to score 100 on the WAIS.

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2012, 4:48 pm

I took the WAIS-IV a few weeks ago. FSIQ was in the high-average range, nothing special. PRI, WMI and PSI were all either in or between the average or high-average ranges, VCI was superior to very superior.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 3:49 am

Rascal77s wrote:
OJani wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

I just want to say that there is as much variation in AS as there is in the general population. These things written about VCI>PMI and low WMI and PSI should be taken with a grain of salt. This is like saying that NTs tend to score 100 on the WAIS.

Yes, I've seen data that contradicts it, Australien's scatter is one of them. Maybe I shouldn't be caught up in it, but I can't help. ;)

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 2:10 pm

Barely above average for me, around 115.

Crazygirl79
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 11:28 am

You and I have similar sentiments about this!!

I could not agree more with this statement, I am an Aspie with an average IQ as is my partner but often find that we seem to be down graded by these Aspie "elitist" types who use the high IQ thing to boost themselves and make themselves out to be better than those with average IQ's.

Selena

DentArthurDent wrote:
I often read on this forum about how those with Aspergers Syndrome have above average to high IQ's. This argument is often used by 'aspie elitists' to defend their position. someone in PPR has just asked the question wheres the proof. So I had a quick search around and came up empty. As General seems to be a bastion for this belief I was wondering if any of you can provide evidence for this belief? Until this morning I also accepted this as true.

Crazygirl79
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 11:33 am

I totally agree with this..

To mock those with severe to profound intellectual disabilities just to make a point is disgusting and wrong!

Abstract_Logic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Okay. Since the idea of Aspie elitists has been raised I will go on record by saying my IQ is 20. That is my official 1Q score. 20. It can get know hire. I never saw it get know hire than that. Honest. Know wonder I can't find a job!

You are clearly not severely ret*d. For you to say that is just plain absurd. For you to stoop so low as to become a troll of this board is beyond my comprehension.

I believe the correct answer to the original post has been already made clear enough.

I will forever fail to understand people who want to know the truth, yet they repeatedly try to deceive others by professing to "know the truth".

Hala and I have answered the original post with the most correct answers that exist. So I believe we're done here, as we have better things to do with our lives than to deal with the trivialities of lesser people: namely TROLLS and LIARS.

Crazygirl79
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 5:13 pm

I would to say that upon reading this thread further I have come to realise that I misjudged ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo so my apologies to Ana..

Crazygirl79 wrote:
I totally agree with this..

To mock those with severe to profound intellectual disabilities just to make a point is disgusting and wrong!
Abstract_Logic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Okay. Since the idea of Aspie elitists has been raised I will go on record by saying my IQ is 20. That is my official 1Q score. 20. It can get know hire. I never saw it get know hire than that. Honest. Know wonder I can't find a job!

You are clearly not severely ret*d. For you to say that is just plain absurd. For you to stoop so low as to become a troll of this board is beyond my comprehension.

I believe the correct answer to the original post has been already made clear enough.

I will forever fail to understand people who want to know the truth, yet they repeatedly try to deceive others by professing to "know the truth".

Hala and I have answered the original post with the most correct answers that exist. So I believe we're done here, as we have better things to do with our lives than to deal with the trivialities of lesser people: namely TROLLS and LIARS.

Crazygirl79
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 5:23 pm

I hear you!!

Like you I am also sick to death of these stereotypes that everyone with Aspergers has to be like Einstein and everyone with ADD/ADHD is dumb, those stereotypes are totally incorrect and they need to be corrected

I am an Aspie with ADHD and I have average intelligence, I have met some really smart ADDer's and some really dumb Aspies and vice versa, in the case both Aspergers and ADD/ADHD the only thing we really have in common is our diagnostic label, in most cases AS and ADD/ADHD manifests itself different in each person and we are completely different to one another in lots of ways and that includes levels of intellectual functioning!!

Like you I also agree that IQ doesn't count for anything..

johnny77 wrote:
[quote="Cryforthemoon
We are not all Albert Einstein and at times I'm kind of sick of the whole we all have to be Albert Einstein to be on the spectrum or that we all have to be really dumb to have ADD or whatever Hollywood likes to throw at us.

We really have no idea if there was anything wrong with Einstein at all and we never will really know unless someone can travel into the past and test him.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is can I just be me and not be compared to ever one else thats on the damn spectrum. I mean really I don't even like that they call those things spectrums.

Agreed if we were all like Einstein there would be more problems. Most people dont know any thing about how he functioned out of the "lab". He had a lot of help but thats history now. I have a high I.Q. but I would give any one 20 points off it to function better and to comunicate better with the average joe. What good is a hight I.Q. number if you cant comuicate you're thoughts. The last test given by New York state when I was a teen was 155 but you look at my spelling and gramar you would not belive it.

So in other words I.Q. is worthless as a test in real life. Genius my :!: :!: :!: I have to be reminded to pay bills, feed the animals, put gas in the car, ect.[/quote]

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2012, 2:06 am

Actually, gifted children are more likely to be misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD than anything else.

Back on topic, I think there would be a small correlation, since ASD is strongly correlated with the introverted and thinking>feeling Jungian personality types, which are both correlated with IQ more positively than their counterparts. But I strongly doubt there is anything causal, such as ASD = exaggerated cognitive behavior of highly intelligent people, like some idiotic "psychologists" who seem to think that ASPD = high intelligence because they saw a movie about a fictional character named Hannibal Lecter once.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 5:11 am

My IQ is 167. It apparently "masked" the Asperger's according to my doctors(well, at least the Executive Function problems) when I was younger.

I don't necessarily think there a correlary between Asperger's and IQ. Which is a shame. Then again, many of my symptoms render my IQ moot in many situations.