Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:57 am

I wonder if other AS people have this issue...either from AS or augmented by having AS.

I can't say that I never cried as a child, but over the years, and the painful experiences that came from life, I find that for some time, I am unable to show emotion for many things, but shedding tears is one of them.

I remember teaching myself not to cry so that people wouldn't see how badly I was hurting, but now it seems that only extremes of the emotional state have any chance of getting a reaction out of me. In a way, I feel emotionally stunted, and I'm not sure how much of that is AS and how much of it is personal trauma.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:03 am

Join the club many of my friends describe me as cold and machinelike but people but too much value on things they can see and not things that they can feel. I believe it is product of taking many products based on looks

But I remember from the Toa te Ching I do not need to be like the others smiling blindly as they were in an parade
I gladly keep my feelings to myself

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:08 am

Crying is a release. I'm denied the relief of crying. This only increases the pain.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:22 am

To a certain extent, not crying very often is pretty typical of an NT male. Many cultures on some level promote men keeping their emotions to themselves. It may seem to be augmented by AS, but it could simply be that you're not emotionally affected in ways that society is expecting you to be.

That's not to say you don't have emotions, of course.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:28 am

I know what you mean. I wonder if it's related to suppressing your emotions. Sometimes it is very difficult for me to cry too. At other times, I will have an emotional outburst of tears and feel deeply empathic to either myself or whoever was unfortunate enough to provoke my tears.

Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:33 am

When someone's angry with me I can cry tears for everyone in the Netherlands:p

But when I'm sad for another reason, the crying comes in very short bursts, usually it takes about two seconds and then it stops.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:53 am

My crying is "skewed".

I could produce a river over a great video game, but be stone-cold when told of the death of a close family member. I don't think this demonstrates a problem with my THINKING; I know family members are "real" and characters are make-believe. It's just that my EMOTIONAL reaction is off between the two.

Situations get me too. When someone is willing to sacrifice themselves for a greater or exceedingly noble cause (real life or imagined). For example, news of the "Subway Superman" made me tear up, but 9/11 didn't make me leak at all.

Izzy_Dolphin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2009, 11:37 am

I definitely don't cry when there are external emotions. I feel bad that I don't cry when people close to me are hurt or die, but I can't. The only time I cry is when people are mad at me for something that I'm putting all of my effort into fixing and they're still mad at me. It's very frustrating to not be able to do what people want, and its even worse when they yell at you even though you are doing your absolute best. I guess its a feeling of hopelessness that is self-perpetuated that makes me cry, not other emotions. When my grandparents and my piano teacher all died, I was sad, and my mom got mad at me for not crying because that was the appropriate thing to do. I think I finally started crying when she yelled at me for the 3rd time.

mosto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2009, 11:51 am

I cry every day, 90% of the days of my life so far, at work I sit at my desk and cry whole shift

puzzle62
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2009, 11:53 am

Yeah, I don't cry either. I thought it was just that nobody close enough had died. But then my mom died and nothing happened. I am female and this is not acceptable!! My family knows this now, but I feel terrible for what others may be thinking. Even my 20 year old asperger son thinks its weird. He says the same thing I used to. Nobody close enough has died for him to cry yet. But he thinks he will, I bet he's like me though. I get pissed if I watch something on TV and cry (rare) because I didn't even cry for my Mother whom I miss and loved so much!

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 11:54 am

I can cry at will

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 12:08 pm

I don't think that "crying'' is that big of an indicator of feeling because I know swarms of girls who manipulate people with a couple of teardrops all the time. A lot of people feel things in a big way without all the waterworks.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 12:20 pm

Well, for me, I'm troubled that I can't cry at times when I think I need to.

Sometimes I hurt, but because it doesn't hurt as bad as I've been hurt before, the switch doesn't flip.

That wouldn't be a problem, but sometimes my eyes burn and my head hurts because I feel the need for the release, but it won't happen because I'm not hurting enough.

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2009, 12:37 pm

I am in a similar "boat" to ViperaAspis I am very unemotional about living stuff but I definitely remember feeling something positive after finishing pokemon yellow

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 12:39 pm

I was crying every day as a school-aged kid because of something. Due to routines, sensory, whatever.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 1:18 pm

I rarely cry, but I'm not sure that's necessarily related to AS...