Page 7 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

limping2victory
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2012, 11:31 am

I think my first concert was Guns N Roses/Skid Row when I was about 21 (1989 I think). Went with a friend, had fun (though I'm not a big fan of swearing). My ears rang for about 2 days.

kinako2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2012, 2:53 am

1994, Pink Floyd's 'Division Bell' tour at RFK Stadium in DC... boy that was some introduction to the mega-stadium show. 8O

Later that year would be a pivotal defeat in the war to manage my conditions. Both a mind-blowing and frightening couple of years, '94-'95. :?

RDOS: 178
SPIN: 49/68

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 8:57 am

Tesla, with Firehouse as an opener I believe... :oops:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

This is funny,the first one I went to I was seven,Sonny and Cher!!After about 30 mnts I wanted to go home,the place was full of cigarette smoke.

Samual
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2012, 7:27 pm

The only live concert i've been to (that i can remember) is Power in the Park, an old UK festival that happened somewhere in Hampshire. I think its still running but under a different name.
I remember being told "dont go to the front, you'll be crushed!". We were standing about 6 rows deep at the front so i pushed forward to the barrier and thought "what bollocks, im not squashed at all".

So theres my 2 pence.
Seeya.

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2012, 8:19 am

Little kid memory of the Beatles at the London Palladium in 1963. I remember sitting on my Grampa's lap. I could see the Beatles playing but I couldn't hear them because so many girls were screaming. One girl ran up the aisle and threw flowers on the stage near Paul.

My older brother took me to see Janis Joplin at the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco when I was about 10. He had painted the bathroom there and I think I must have begged him to take me because that's one of the only times I remember him doing something with me without my parents forcing the issue. Usually he took my little brother places because they were really alike.

The first concert I chose and bought tickets for was Grand Funk Railroad in 1971. To this day, I love "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)," especially the bass riff. For that matter, I also love "I Can Feel Him in the Morning," "Mean Mistreater," and "Aimless Lady" as well as their renditions of "Feelin' Alright" and "Gimme Shelter." Their bass runs give me chills.

Thanks for this post--it made me remember GFR's work beyond "(We're an) American Band" and "Locomotion." Nothing against these two songs, but I really don't think they alone represent GFR in totality. You need the whole picture with really good bands.

I almost forgot how awesome GFR is!

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 6:13 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
I've yet to go to one. :P

I don't think I would ever actively choose to go to a live concert, though. They're excessively noisy. I'd much rather purchase a CD or DVD.

Same here. I don't even like it when my DH cranks the bass on his stereo!

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2012, 12:26 am

My first concert I went to was Australian band Icehouse at Expo 88 in 1988 great concert had ringing ears the next day but it was worth going to see them.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 7:22 am

Kevin Bloody Wilson with my first BF and a TAFE classmate in.....2004?

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

Easy. It was KISS at the Summit in Houston TX 1977. I was a HUGE fan, which was tough because I got a lot of grief about how they were probably devil worshippers -- those that are old enough probably remember that their name was supposedly an acronym for Kings In Satan's Service. Heheh....it sounds even stupider now than it did then. I eventually saw them 4 times. The best seat of the four was 3rd row.

One cool thing about this concert -- it's one of the shows on the Best of KISS DVD. My little brush with greatness. :)

Martens
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2012, 8:27 pm

Testament
Megadeth
Judas Priest

Haven't yet encountered a line-up like that. It was awesome.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 12:54 am

Martens wrote:
Testament
Megadeth
Judas Priest

Haven't yet encountered a line-up like that. It was awesome.

I saw Judas Priest with Alice Cooper and Motorhead back in about 1990-ish. Doesn't get much better than that.

I notice several of you have said you can't imagine liking concerts because of the crowds. I don't mind crowds as long as I don't have to interact with anybody. I don't mind movies, ballgames or concerts because I can go and enjoy the event and talk to other people or not. It's different than parties or classes or seminars in that you HAVE to talk to people. I don't go to concerts any more because I can't take the sound. It might be age or something else, but all the headbanging and screaming amps finally caught up with me. I can't take loud noises anymore. Even the sound of the TV too loud or a big truck driving by is enough to make me put my hands over my ears.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 11:33 pm

The Dead Kennedy's. It was a great show.

Nightturtle
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Nov 2012, 9:51 am

Pink Floyd, the Atom Heart Mother tour. Birmingham Town hall, front row, LOUD!

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 5:06 pm

Some friends had a spare ticket to a concert of 5 punk bands in the Olympic Auditorium in downtown L.A. This must have been around 1982 or 83 as I was in high school at the time. Public Image Limited and The Butthole Surfers are the only bands I remember. This concert went on for 4 hours and since I was with friends, I couldn't leave on my own. I had a splitting headache for a week afterward.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 9:40 pm

Not just the first, but the best, and I have been to many.
May 1975 at the Hammersmith Odeon, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.
It was recorded for their "Live" Album so probably a reason they performed so well.

Was also the occasion of my first asking out a girl, she said no of course so took my friend instead.