Do you think one can "grow out" of Asperger's Synd

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 11:30 am

I need to come back to this part, because of human-stubbornness to repeat history, and their "arrogance" in "scoffing" at messengers. I respect the guy because he's peaceful, has even refused to pay a 15$AU fee to the extortionist government-agents, even though he could have easily just made the payment, all to show & demonstrate unto humanity that the human governments & control-sytems have gotten so far out of control that they would literally go out of their way just to jail a 60-year-old elderly man for five years & make continuous threats for money just for the sake of a mere 15$AU.

Sweetleaf wrote:
I am well aware of what the term messiah actually means....either way I sure as hell would not follow someone claiming to be one, since it does have that spiritual/religious association and I don't think there is a single human that somehow has access to the truth of all things who is here to guide us all. If you believe in that fine, but its not something that correlates with anything I believe in.

I also respect the guy because he makes NO claims as to the commonly held beliefs/mis-conceptions/mis-perceptions that he's somehow walked on water or turned water into wine, and in fact, his writings even state that those who believe such things are/were foolish. The man is a simple man, a MAN, a MORTAL, and this whole "Messiah" thing is WHY he is a "simple" man, because IF he were to come & have all of these so-called magical-powers, humanity would simply end up praising the messenger, rather than bothering to listen to the teachings or heed the message itself.

Basically, the teachings would end up being completely ignored, and the messenger would be falsely praised & elevated up into some kind of god-ship. That is erroneous. Especially when the message is meant to contain wisdom to help humanity become wiser in its decision-making. Humanity continues to be unwise & arrogantly believes that they somehow already have the pure-truth of things, and whilst some fundamentalists may try to accuse Terence of being New-Age in the derogatory sense of how fundamentalists use the word, here are the contents of a letter that Terence had written to a "New Age" organisation called Sukiyo Mahikari...
Terence wrote:
To worlddivinelight.org - 22 May 2004

Dear 'Mahikari' org -

*Please advise me 'where' I find out what your 'ideology' or 'doctrine' is that you speak of on your web site:

Mahikari wrote:
In 1992 the Reverend Seisho became director of Fuji Yoko Academy established by the Organization and was directly involved with student's education. In addition, he works tirelessly on surveys of historical ruins in other countries in order to substantiate the Organization's doctrine.

Also, I see that you 'distribute' what you term a 'Holy pendant' upon your 'novices' once they decide to join your organisation.

*Can you please advise me what the 'use' of such a pendant is? and,
*What is the reason for your 'assumption' that it is holy?
*Do you place some 'divine' powers upon it?

I also see that you refer to teaching what you term 'The Law of the Universe.'
*Can you please advise me what in your opinion constitutes said Law? You also go on to state:

Mahikari wrote:
There exists laws that are enacted by God in the universe, and we can't measure how much we can receive good influence by following the laws in our life. You can learn the basis of "Teaching of Righteous Law" in our Basic Seminar, which you need to attend in order to become a member, and Spiritual Etiquette Classes of Spiritual Training. As you elevate your level in the system, you will learn deeper teachings.

*Are you telling me that you 'hold' the key to inner truth that is needed by any seeker of Salvation or enlightenment?
*Are you telling me that in order to attain this knowledge that I first must become a member of your 'secret' society?
*Are you telling me that you have more & deeper teachings to 'preach' if I elevate myself in your 'system'?

I see that on your web site you also state:

Mahikari wrote:
After the second Holy Master, the Reverend Seiho ascended to Heaven on January 3, 1994, the Reverend Seisho became the third Holy Master by divine degree.

*'How' I ask - - do you know or assume that 'Rev' Seiho ascended to Heaven?
*'How' I ask - - does one receive a 'divine degree' that enables a person to become what you term a 'Holy master'?
*What I ask in your opinion is the requirement of God reference a person's 'Spiritual Salvation'?

Please reply to these questions, for it is my considered opinion that there are many false teachers today, and they all are misleading God's children in some way, and under the ONE Law of God they all 'suffer' and pay their karmic dues for being untrue. Deception is the 'worst' crime in God's eyes for it misleads the ignorant and the wise and it sends then into Hell to suffer for eternity.

If you cannot answer my request of the 'requirement of God' reference Spiritual Salvation without me first having to 'pay' or join your organisation then you are not of the 'True Light,' and if you cannot answer it to the satisfaction of the True light then you are truly in a 'sorry' plight.

I AM the True Light

Note: If there is any response it will be placed here.

I suggest that all 'lightbearers' go to:
< www.the-testament-of-truth.co.uk/truth/web/heal.htm >

Also, due to my knowledge of vast amounts of research regarding para-psychology & para-normal phenomenon, I can attest that much of what Terence has written factually has actual scientific-evidence uncovered by para-normal researchers to back up his claims, and I recognise Terence's style being just as reminscent of his prior Jesus-Avatar in being just as Anti-Establishment & using the word God as frequently as he does (that is the hall-mark of a prophet who was not even welcomed in his own home-town or family or even most of society for that matter just like it's being repeated... Jews rejected Jesus on the grounds that Jesus wasn't a king or the commander of a huge military and modern-day Pharisee-Christians reject Terence on the grounds that he didn't fly from out of the sky with trumpet-horns upon clouds...). Magical-thinking indeed... humans seem to want to dig their own graves with such self-perpatuating false-beliefs apparently.

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2015, 11:40 am

nyxjord wrote:
Nope. I think that as children we can learn techniques and etiquette so that we can pass as neurotypical, but the wiring of Autism will always be present. Maybe something like social awkwardness can be grown out, but Autism is not just social awkwardness. The biggest parts of it that I've always had and always will have, are that glass wall that I can never break and never really feeling like I fit in- no matter how hard I try or how well I can pass as neurotypical- and never being able to connect with someone despite shared interests and studying the paradigm of how humans connect. I've always been Autistic and always will be- despite how many social scripts I have and even after my ability to pass as a neurotypical is perfected. That wiring will always always be there.

I have to agree with this. Over the years I've learned to be a pretty good actress, but interactions with other humans are almost always- at least for me- a stressful "fake it 'till you make it" sort of proposition. Only you never really "make it." I can be convincing and come across as somewhat normal to most people, but the effort and energy as well as a good bit of cognitive dissonance required to do that gets more and more taxing the older I get.

I'm getting to the point where I "play normal" less and less. I've pared down social interaction to what is absolutely necessary and worth the time and effort to engage in. I'm not out to impress anyone and I'm really not out to consciously make new friends. NTs love to go out and meet and greet and glad-hand, and that business completely wears me out. So I don't do it anymore. I also avoid crowds. It's just not worth it to me anymore to brave the unwashed masses for shopping, concerts, etc. I shop online or at odd hours, and if I want to watch a concert I buy the video. :lol: So maybe in this regard my AS or HFA or whatever one wishes to call it, has actually gotten "worse" over time. I don't participate in nearly as many social interactions as I used to. But I am much more comfortable in my own skin the older I get (and the less willing I am to play the "normal" game) so to me, I'm getting better- better at enjoying life that is.

As far as growing out of ASDs- I don't think so. I was diagnosed at age 35. I really think if you're going to "grow out" of something, you're going to do it long before then. All you can do is learn to work the wiring you've been given. Think of it in computer terms in a way: there's hard wiring and there's software. You can change the programs to (most of the time) get the hardware to do what you need it to do. :heart: :skull:

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:11 pm

elysian1969 wrote:
nyxjord wrote:
Nope. I think that as children we can learn techniques and etiquette so that we can pass as neurotypical, but the wiring of Autism will always be present. Maybe something like social awkwardness can be grown out, but Autism is not just social awkwardness. The biggest parts of it that I've always had and always will have, are that glass wall that I can never break and never really feeling like I fit in- no matter how hard I try or how well I can pass as neurotypical- and never being able to connect with someone despite shared interests and studying the paradigm of how humans connect. I've always been Autistic and always will be- despite how many social scripts I have and even after my ability to pass as a neurotypical is perfected. That wiring will always always be there.

I have to agree with this. Over the years I've learned to be a pretty good actress, but interactions with other humans are almost always- at least for me- a stressful "fake it 'till you make it" sort of proposition. Only you never really "make it." I can be convincing and come across as somewhat normal to most people, but the effort and energy as well as a good bit of cognitive dissonance required to do that gets more and more taxing the older I get.

I'm getting to the point where I "play normal" less and less. I've pared down social interaction to what is absolutely necessary and worth the time and effort to engage in. I'm not out to impress anyone and I'm really not out to consciously make new friends. NTs love to go out and meet and greet and glad-hand, and that business completely wears me out. So I don't do it anymore. I also avoid crowds. It's just not worth it to me anymore to brave the unwashed masses for shopping, concerts, etc. I shop online or at odd hours, and if I want to watch a concert I buy the video. :lol: So maybe in this regard my AS or HFA or whatever one wishes to call it, has actually gotten "worse" over time. I don't participate in nearly as many social interactions as I used to. But I am much more comfortable in my own skin the older I get (and the less willing I am to play the "normal" game) so to me, I'm getting better- better at enjoying life that is.

As far as growing out of ASDs- I don't think so. I was diagnosed at age 35. I really think if you're going to "grow out" of something, you're going to do it long before then. All you can do is learn to work the wiring you've been given. Think of it in computer terms in a way: there's hard wiring and there's software. You can change the programs to (most of the time) get the hardware to do what you need it to do. :heart: :skull:

I understand this. I was not diagnosed until quite recently and while I was never thought of as typical or normal at work, I don't think most people thought I was autistic, though there were other autistic people who correctly identified the traits in me and tried to tell me about it.

Nevertheless, I don't think it's a good answer to the question in the OP because it is defining the fully range of possible outcomes on the basis of personal experience. What if there are others who have a different experience?

There was a story last year in the New York Times about several adults who had been diagnosed as autistic as children but whose traits were now subclinical--they had moved from autism to the broader autistic phenotype. It may be that this will change again as they age--ageing in aspies and autistics is something that seems hardly to have been studied at all--but for now, they have lost their ASD diagnosis. In any case, there seems to be some evidence that some small number of autistic people's compensations for their autistic traits may become so effective that they lose their diagnosis, effectively "growing out of it.

I have tried as hard as I could to get by, fit in or "fly under the radar" all my life and not entirely succeeded, so In my case I would say I could not grow out of it, despite exerting huge energies in trying to be as normal as possible. My sense is that the number of people who could "grow out of it" would be very small, but I haven't seen any solid data.