On a happy note, good things about having autism are...

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Feb 2015, 11:41 pm

The good things:

Understanding/empathy for social issues and concerns. I think this is true for the AS world. Where the NT world may overlook social causes and concerns, I think the AS world is more oriented towards them, because we understand how being an underdog feels. I have a saying, "Never underestimate the underdog." Much truth to that.

Ability to think outside the box. While I grew up being very logical and rigid in thinking (and I am extremely logical to this day), I became more creative over time. I began to see things that others could not. I hear business people say all the time, "We can't do this or it's never been done this way." Who says it has to continue being that way? I think how if companies and corporations saw the skill sets and talents of adults on the spectrum - and could see the benefits of having a more diverse workforce, that these businesses would be "walking the talk" instead of merely giving lip service about diversity. While I may like having familiarity with things, I like knowing I am not restricted by what's inside that box.

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 12:37 am

I enjoy being able to hyperfocus. It would be weird not to be able to do that, or at least not easily. I also agree with the people who say creativity.

mlogan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2015, 10:04 pm

Great topic! would say finding profound pleasure in things like music literature great arts. when cool helping others see things in a minus ´personal´ perspective. :idea:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 3:55 pm

Marky9 wrote:
Enjoying my own company.

This is a quote from "Wyrms" by Orson Scott Card. I find it...fitting.

And while my mind is at times both my best friend and my worst enemy, it's seldom boring.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 8:40 pm

Since I paid off the mortgage, I now have the option of either fixing it or buying a new one!

I recently had some issues with a cheap lawnmower, so I went online, and within half an hour, a much higher quality one was on its way! And delivered even faster than I expected!

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 8:41 pm

Social hierarchy ignorance

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 3:03 am

Quote:
- Being unbound by conventional thought.

- Remaining unswayed by sales pitches, political lies and religious double-talk.

- Obsessive focus on solving problems.

- Perceiving systems as overlapping and inter-dependent functions, instead of discrete and independent functional blocks.

- Being able to sense when something is wrong before anyone else would even care to notice.

- Appreciating silent and still environments as necessary to a joyous life.

Agreed, to all six. :)
I'm also beginning to see not being in any box as a good result of autism. I used to dislike this as people were constantly trying to force me into a box, but being able to be free from the social restraints of things like age, gender, nationality, economic class, ethnicity, occupation, location etc. It means I don't belong in any of these demographics, but also that I'm not bound by them.
Also -
Quote:
enjoying little things in life that most people don't notice.

Yep.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 9:19 am

Autistic people have been scientifically shown to be superior to non-autistic people in the areas of:

-joint attention (paying attention to more than one thing at once)
-focus
-spatial abstract thought (transforming ideas into visualizations)
-finding errors in a series of things

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 11:19 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
Autistic people have been scientifically shown to be superior to non-autistic people in the areas of:

-joint attention (paying attention to more than one thing at once)
-focus
-spatial abstract thought (transforming ideas into visualizations)
-finding errors in a series of things

Very much disagree with the first. Executive Functioning disorders are a common co-morbid with Autism making multitasking problematic for many Autistics. Poor Multitasking abilities can mask as social difficulties. Difficulty listening to multiple conversations, difficulty trying to make eye contact with another person while trying to listen to what they are saying, difficulties presenting as interested when listening to another person.

The positive of hyperfocus is a at least partially explained as reaction to a multitasking world and sensory overstimulation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Carl_m
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2015, 10:19 pm

Being comfortable with my own company is definitely an advantage as already pointed out.
Greater understanding of how the mind works as a result of all the time spent within it?
Better able to live in peace with others? NTs, weaving their webs of deceit are capable of just about everything except living in peace with each other. Never happy to just exist they need to be constantly engaged in a fight with somebody or something to prove their inflated sense of self. What would an Aspie society look like I wonder?

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2015, 8:10 pm

Being immune to peer pressure. I'm also incredibly difficult to insult.

BAMvsGAME
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2015, 6:06 am

Being able to enjoy myself is definitely something I appreciate. Also, I think I have a near eidetic memory but thanks to my issues it's often s double edged sword.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 9:02 pm

We can use our focus to achieve things regular people only dream of. Case in point, Dr. Michael Burry saw the real estate crash coming because he was the only person who actually read the investment documents aside from the lawyers drafting them. And it's not insider trading if the other party doesn't bother to read the info. He made millions because he had the focus to be able to see what no one else could. As an aside, Dr. Burry is a hero of mine. :)

Myers-Briggs: INTJ
AQ: 44

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 11:16 am

Solitude has allowed me to develop in my own way and I love the view of humanity from space. Everything is so blissful up here

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 1:16 pm

The ability to quickly come up with a sensible solution outside the box while "normal" people are standing wondering what to do. :roll:

Rosey86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2015, 1:22 am

em_tsuj wrote:
I am free from the mythology that most people are locked into because of social conditioning.

I live a simple life because I don't have serious relationships, and I don't expend a lot of energy trying to climb the social ladder.

I am logical, and clear-headed.

I am free to pursue my interests because I don't have a family. I plan to use my freedom to the fullest by traveling the world and completing everything on my bucket list.

I will be financially independent when I retire because am focused on it. Most people don't think, just go with the flow until they get a lot older than I am. Going with the flow in modern America means being heavily in debt, stressed out, miserable, in bad relationships, and constantly searching. Our society is designed for corporations to exploit consumers, without thinking about the individual's welfare or the welfare of the society.

I am creative. i see things from a different perspective. This is needed in every situation.

I am humbled by knowing that I have limitations in cognition. I don't function under the illusion that I know enough and can handle things just because I am an adult. Most people are too optimistic.

No STD's, no children, and no ex-wives.

I get to be a member of wrong planet.

I can't think of any more. I know that when I was younger, I hated being different. My teenage years were a living hell and my 20's were just a little less miserable than my teenage years. Now, looking back on it, I am grateful that I didn't fall into a lot of traps that 'normal' people fall into due to their social nature. I figure most of my peers will catch up with me when they get in their 50's or 60's.

This post has cheered me up significantly. Thank you.