Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

VictorOfAveyron
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2024, 11:03 pm

Disclaimer: This is about my dad, a few years from retirement age.

I'm convinced he has a form of Asperger's. He managed to get by so far, but since I understand him much better now, certain things have become a lot more obvious to me.
He does not keep order anywhere, especially in the house, he just leaves things in all places. It has driven my mum mad, and it certainly has a bad effect and influence on us kids, let alone on himself. I don't wanna know how often she has told him about it, and tried to change him, to no avail. He doesn't react well to such advise, I think partly because he instinctively knows it's wrong, but just resigned over the fact that he has always struggled with it, and never managed it. How can we approach him over this topic, minimising negative repercussions? Is it hopeless, that late in a life?
He is also chronically overweight, eats extremely unhealthy things in very autistic ways. How can we try to change those habits? Which forms of external help could be useful? Is it possible to visit doctors, or similar things, on his behalf?
I suspect he has a major depression now, too, while I realise that I can also do much harm, I hope that it's not too late for positive change.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 11:05 pm

it is a possibility he also has ADHD, inattentive subtype. your description of your father reminds me of myself. my ADHD was successfully treated with Strattera. YMMV, of course.

VictorOfAveyron
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2024, 2:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it is a possibility he also has ADHD
Definitely. He does display those symptoms.
auntblabby wrote:
my ADHD was successfully treated with Strattera
What was your process of acquiring this medication?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 3:22 pm

VictorOfAveyron wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
it is a possibility he also has ADHD
Definitely. He does display those symptoms.
auntblabby wrote:
my ADHD was successfully treated with Strattera
What was your process of acquiring this medication?

when I had a pdoc [psychiatrist] he started me on Strattera as soon as I was dx'ed with AS. he said that was one of very few drugs that could help me.