Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2013, 7:18 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
LizNY wrote:
A 'professional' diagnosis would help me to move into a protected class; a way to say I have struggles that are with me all day and everyday and that inhibit my ability to follow the NT social rules, to tolerate certain sensory experiences, and to experience social stimulation for prolonged periods of time.

I don't know how it is where you are, but in Ontario you can be put on a disability payment for having things associated with ASD. For example, social anxiety or depression.
If you have to continue to see the dismissive guy, maybe he would be more open to a different diagnosis that would have the same result for you.

The thing is, i don't want to be on disability. it is extremely difficult to get on it, and i don't want to stay at home anyways. With discrimination legislation in new york; in our excessively litigious state, it is a really bad idea to discriminate on the job against someone with a disability. No one will ever try to discriminate based on race or being gay, or with an obvious disability, but with something like asperger's.....we are still open for targeting. the bullying i've experienced is ridiculous and beyond comprehension and I have no idea why NTs believe mistreating someone like me is completely acceptable. Sometimes it seems related to asperger traits and other times it seems to be other insecurity issues on their part. Either way, i think i will wait for things to get so bad as to force me out of work. Then I will try for a diagnosis, because I can't deal with supposed professionals disrespecting my opinion, feelings, thoughts, humanity.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 9:13 pm

LizNY wrote:
No one will ever try to discriminate based on race or being gay, or with an obvious disability, but with something like asperger's.....we are still open for targeting. the bullying i've experienced is ridiculous and beyond comprehension and I have no idea why NTs believe mistreating someone like me is completely acceptable.

Some people don't seem to take it seriously . . . I'm not sure why. I guess they just don't understand what it's like to have autism spectrum disorder.
Quote:
. . . because I can't deal with supposed professionals disrespecting my opinion, feelings, thoughts, humanity.

Fair enough - that guy doesn't sound like a particularly good doctor. But you may get a completely different response from another professional. I wouldn't give up on them yet.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2013, 6:16 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
LizNY wrote:
No one will ever try to discriminate based on race or being gay, or with an obvious disability, but with something like asperger's.....we are still open for targeting. the bullying i've experienced is ridiculous and beyond comprehension and I have no idea why NTs believe mistreating someone like me is completely acceptable.

Some people don't seem to take it seriously . . . I'm not sure why. I guess they just don't understand what it's like to have autism spectrum disorder.
Quote:
. . . because I can't deal with supposed professionals disrespecting my opinion, feelings, thoughts, humanity.

Fair enough - that guy doesn't sound like a particularly good doctor. But you may get a completely different response from another professional. I wouldn't give up on them yet.

When I was in grad school I did mention it to some professors who were also practicing psychologists. Two of them laughed at me and said that was only diagnosed in children. Comforting. Indeed. Two others on separate occasions tilted their heads like an intrigued puppy and asked why I thought that. As if they were truly interested. I told them how an ex-boyfriend who I was with for 6 years said I acted just like a girl he knew who had asperger's. But they were not believing. I have found any form of autism is extremely difficult for most people to understand regardless of their education/profession. Especially since i've spent so much of my life around mental health professionals and they were unable to see it due to my ability to successfully fake for a few hours on my good days.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 8:38 am

LizNY wrote:

I've never understood that either. I'm told it's a tribal instinct to protect the group but for some reason, both at work and at school it's a big no-no to make fun of race, physical/mental disability and especially retardation. However for Aspies it's fair game and boy did they have a field day with me before I learned to become a bit of an arrogant prick! I suppose it's because we look 'normal' that we are intentionally being socially stupid and fully aware of our actions and just refuse to change them. I still can't figure out why the double standard exists though. :roll:

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 1:13 pm

LizNY wrote:
When I was in grad school I did mention it to some professors who were also practicing psychologists. Two of them laughed at me and said that was only diagnosed in children. Comforting.

I think adults are being diagnosed more and more, but this idea that it would have been caught in childhood is ridiculous. It doesn't take into account that some auties can pass for limited amounts of time. In my case, doctors weren't aware of Asperger's Syndrome when I was a child - they didn't know what to do with me.
I told my friends and co-workers that I have ASD (diagnosed by a psychiatrist) and some of them still don't believe me. I think they just don't understand what it is.
It is very annoying, though, when you open up to someone and they disregard what you are telling them.

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2013, 2:13 pm

There are some professionals who indeed don't take ASD seriously and are not likely to diagnose an adult with it, especially an adult female, who may have a very different presentation of autistic traits than a male. Adults have spent years learning to "correct" their social skills to fit in. ALL adults, not just people on the spectrum. And because of the socialization of females starting from when they're infants, it makes it easier for autistic adult women to appear NT. So it's important to listen to someone when they're describing their internal state and what efforts they have to make in order to do things.

I agree with you that you should keep looking for someone to diagnose you so you're protected at work. You didn't work so hard on your education to be held back now. It can be profoundly helpful just to be able to dictate your own workspace and be in better control of your social time at work.

I would just shop around and find someone else.

Oh and I agree with that other poster about neuropyschologists being better for diagnosis because they use more tests and less opinion. But with any doctor you can get someone who is not listening to you and isn't keeping up with current literature.

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2013, 1:08 pm

Here in Norway I first had to "bully" my GP into referring me to be assessed for Asperger's.
He said he really doubted I had it, but I was insistent and he referred me to a psychologist.

The first psychologist woman was more interested in WHY I thought I had Asperger's instead of finding out IF I had it, I stopped going after a couple of appointments, she and I REALLY didn't click, she mostly just sat there blinking at me like an owl, ugh..

A few months later I tried again, new psychologist, another woman, she at least did some of the standard tests and in the end admitted that, yes, I might have Asperger's, then she flat out told me that it didn't matter since there wasn't anyone qualified to diagnose adult females and the only help they could offer was to treat comorbidities like depression and anxiety...

So I simply gave up.

Why is it that the professionals think that Asperger's just magically manifested at the same time as the diagnosis became more common? Surely they should be intelligent enough to understand that the condition has always existed, regardless of when someone named it?

I was already nearing my teens when Asperger's entered people's vocabulary, and at that time it was nearly inconceivable that girls had it too, even now girls with the condition are seen as an anomaly here in Norway... It's just so wrong...

OsmosisAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

I'm yet to get formal diagnosis. Psychologist said I should. In Australia there are restrictions as to who can diagnose.
Reading through these is interesting and reassuring that, if I'm crazy, then I'm crazy like the rest of you. Sorry I know it's not crazy just that people treat me that way at times. I couldn't believe that I've finally heard of someone else finding cold painful. I live in Qld Australia and often others are complaining about the heat and humidity but I hate the cold dry air caused by air conditioning. I hate having sleeves down on my wrists. I hate water on my face. I flap when I'm excited and other wonderfully eccentric behaviour.

Just one problem........ I'm not rich enough to be called eccentric.

AudioSperg
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2013, 9:04 pm

I have a formal diagnosis of Asperger's as of a couple of weeks ago.
I had suspected for several years that I may have an ASD, but remained skeptical and bulldozed on ahead with life anyways.
I have suffered from depression and anxiety issues from a young age, and gone through several cycles of "gain job, excel, fail at the social component, get stressed, meltdown, lose job" with the periods of unemployment in between getting longer and longer.
I have been on medical benefits for the last three years, and living in supported housing as I became homeless after losing my last job.

During all of the last 5 years I have been receiving treatment for the depression and anxiety. I was considered a low priority case as I'm no danger to myself or others, so medication was thrown at me and I was assigned a social worker.
After several years of trying different medications which all made me feel considerably worse, I put my foot down and refused any more of them. At this point I raised the issue of Asperger's with my social worker in a more serious fashion than I had previously. After some persistence from me he administered the AQ screener (Baron-Cohen). I scored over the threshold, but in one breath this social worker (whom I have had sessions with for years now) admitted that he was not qualified to call it, but he was gonna call it a false positive anyway. He claimed no knowledge of an NHS clinician in the area who could diagnose adults. I refused to let the issue stand on my subsequent visits, and he finally spilled the beans, saying that I needed to get my GP to refer me to a local clinic. I have since discovered that this was not true, and he should have referred me.
My GP succumbed after 15 minutes of badgering and my utter refusal to accept any argument he had. I think he just wanted me out of his office.

So, once the several months waiting list was clear I had the diagnostic session. The clinician used the CLASS testing system as well as a 3 hour interview with myself and my mother. Once she confirmed the diagnosis and explained the condition in a manner I could understand I was no longer skeptical. I have always suspected that things worked differently inside my mind, but until you can be sure you have to operate on the assumption that it's pretty much the same for everyone.
This confirmation has had a pretty profound effect on me already, in terms of my self esteem. It's early days yet, and it may not last (who knows?!). However, I no longer find myself chasing some nebulous goal of easy social acceptance and a natural ability to just "get on" with other people. The fact that I can pass for NT even some of the time is an achievement, and I can be pleased with how far I've come. It's no reason to give up trying, any further improvements I can make will of course be a bonus! But I beat myself up about it less.

So for me, so far, gaining a diagnosis has been positive. Incidentally, the people I care about have been really supportive. I've yet to see how it affects my employment prospects, but what with having been off work for 3 years already, I can't see how it could get much worse.

I have the first appointment with the above mentioned social worker since my diagnosis tomorrow. The first thing he asked me after he found out about it over the phone? "What do you want me to do now?" He clearly has no contingency for my future care plan including a diagnosis. He has some questions to answer tomorrow and if I'm not satisfied with his responses then I'm asking that my case be transferred to someone else. After several years of reporting ASD symptoms and traits to him, suggesting the possibility, his obstructive behaviour and my subsequent diagnosis... I am not impressed.

OsmosisAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2013, 9:21 pm

I'm so happy for you AudioSperg and I wish you all the best. It's possible that now when people say why can't you or you should be able to you can just say "not me". I ask people if they can do quadratic equations, make a quilt or cook a sponge, if they can't do that why should I feel bad just because I can't do things that they can.

AudioSperg
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2013, 9:34 pm

OsmosisAspie wrote:
I'm so happy for you AudioSperg and I wish you all the best. It's possible that now when people say why can't you or you should be able to you can just say "not me". I ask people if they can do quadratic equations, make a quilt or cook a sponge, if they can't do that why should I feel bad just because I can't do things that they can.

Thanks for the kind words :D

I also feel better about not feeling as though I should just go for any old job, because "damnit everyone else has to." That simply won't work for me, my previous experience proves that in no uncertain terms. Now I can target my search more effectively and not feel bad about it.

AudioSperg
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2013, 9:43 am

I've just had the appointment with my social worker, and thought I'd update here since I mentioned it in a previous post.
Unsurprisingly he did not have a contingency in place for my care plan in the event of a diagnosis.
Thankfully he did not try to defend his previous obstructive behaviour, and he even managed to apologise for all the difficulties he inadvertently caused or exacerbated.
Adult Autism services in this corner of the world are pretty much nonexistent. However I have outlined a rough plan for what I expect from him moving forward, including restructured CBT, low doses of medication, and social skills sessions. This will be for the treatment of the depression and anxiety issues I have. He was unaware of the restructured CBT techniques that are (apparently, according to Tony Attwood) available, but hopefully he can find out enough about them to administer the treatment. He is already trained in standard CBT so with a bit of luck it won't be too much of a stretch for him.
Well, that's where things stand for me at the moment, still looking pretty positive as long as I can keep everything moving!

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2013, 2:40 pm

Fluke83 wrote:
The first psychologist woman was more interested in WHY I thought I had Asperger's instead of finding out IF I had it, I stopped going after a couple of appointments, she and I REALLY didn't click, she mostly just sat there blinking at me like an owl, ugh..

A few months later I tried again, new psychologist, another woman, she at least did some of the standard tests and in the end admitted that, yes, I might have Asperger's, then she flat out told me that it didn't matter since there wasn't anyone qualified to diagnose adult females and the only help they could offer was to treat comorbidities like depression and anxiety...

So I simply gave up.

Why is it that the professionals think that Asperger's just magically manifested at the same time as the diagnosis became more common? Surely they should be intelligent enough to understand that the condition has always existed, regardless of when someone named it?

I was already nearing my teens when Asperger's entered people's vocabulary, and at that time it was nearly inconceivable that girls had it too, even now girls with the condition are seen as an anomaly here in Norway... It's just so wrong...

I've had that happen too..the WHY do u think that focus....makes me feel like a lab rat and she can't wait to run to her friends to gossip about me. As she tries to draw out all kinds of personal things about me...... In the end I wish I had nevr spoken w any of them except for the psychiatrist who said I had PTSD. I liked her a lot, and she probably would hav picked up on the aspergers if I had been able to continue meeting with her.

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 11:22 pm

Most psychologists/ psychiatrists are jerks in my experience. Sorry to put it so bluntly but they all were, and I saw my fair share of them. In fact some of them were downright horrid.

Healthcare practitioners, in general, often get very defensive when you walk in with a self diagnosis-- even for regular medical stuff. I have had experiences with medical drs where I'll say,"I think I have this..." and they get all defensive and start pointing out how I might not have that... and then sure enough I eventually am diagnosed with just that. Medicine is, to a degree, a p*ssing contest. And a lot of practitioners are burnt out and have lost their empathy (yet they say we are the ones lacking empathy...).

Second, AS is wrongly undiagnosed, or misdiagnosed as other disorders (I too have gotten the PTSD diagnosis) in women and girls all the time, so much so that it may not even be worth pursuing if you will not be seeking any kind of disability protection.

I breathed a big sigh of relief when I realized there was a name for why my life had been constant pain, stress, and exclusion. It doesn't solve problems to have a name for it, but it does provide some relief, and some degree of community if you can find others like you. Just knowing you're not alone can help.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2013, 6:32 am

caissa wrote:
Most psychologists/ psychiatrists are jerks in my experience. Sorry to put it so bluntly but they all were, and I saw my fair share of them. In fact some of them were downright horrid.

Healthcare practitioners, in general, often get very defensive when you walk in with a self diagnosis-- even for regular medical stuff. I have had experiences with medical drs where I'll say,"I think I have this..." and they get all defensive and start pointing out how I might not have that... and then sure enough I eventually am diagnosed with just that. Medicine is, to a degree, a p*ssing contest. And a lot of practitioners are burnt out and have lost their empathy (yet they say we are the ones lacking empathy...).

Second, AS is wrongly undiagnosed, or misdiagnosed as other disorders (I too have gotten the PTSD diagnosis) in women and girls all the time, so much so that it may not even be worth pursuing if you will not be seeking any kind of disability protection.

I breathed a big sigh of relief when I realized there was a name for why my life had been constant pain, stress, and exclusion. It doesn't solve problems to have a name for it, but it does provide some relief, and some degree of community if you can find others like you. Just knowing you're not alone can help.

For myself, I've found most medical professionals will respond to my self diagnosis with a...welllll you could be right, but let's do this to find out. or they might give me a quizzical look and say that's probably not it because of these reasons and we can do this test to get the right answer. Most of them respond with understanding and seem to genuinely want to help. And then some of them were total jerks who wasted my time, added to my problems and I seriously want my money back. In contrast, my experiences with mental health professionals has been pretty awful all around except for that one psychiatrist. And she is a medical doctor as well, so there you go. And I really don't want to waste my time with any other mental health practitioners anymore. A few people mentioned going to a neurologist, and that might be a better bet. Possibly more likely to find someone who will take a professional approach with a more reliable result. So when I think I absolutely need a diagnosis somewhere down the road, I'll probably go that route.

Ziuwari
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm

I apologize if what I am about to say has been mentioned, but I do not have the time right now to read the entire thread.

Since you are female, you may be able to find someone through the Autism Women's Network (sorry can't post link yet) to diagnose you.
That's where I found the person who finally confirmed my diagnosis last week.. and after many failed attempts with in-network so-called specialists who thought I was just bipolar or had some other mood disorder. (And many of them saying Aspergers is only for kids!)

Just to show the lack of knowledge and to vent my frustration, here's my history of official diagnoses:

1988: ADHD, anxiety and oppositional defiant disorder
1997: ADHD and highly gifted
2001: ADD and personality disorder not otherwise specified
2004: ADHD, OCD and depression
2007: depression and severe anxiety disorders

Oh and I would like to recommend to keep trying to get your diagnosis, no matter how hard it may be to get there. I always told myself that being self-diagnosed was good enough, but it turned out I just couldn't let it go until I got it confirmed. It just ate up too much of my brain processing time.