Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 3:20 pm

I think there are several kinds of NTs. Some are insecure of their NTism. As all insecure believers or adepts these are dogmatic and intolerant. They attach some label to their “normality”: they think they are conservatives, or liberals, or Christians, or Jews, or science addicts and they use these platforms to attack people whom they see as stray dogs. By the way also AS people often do the same to attack NTs. We should avoid both attitudes. I see everyday some NTs whom I like much. I have in my mind a person now. Is she a NT? I would say: definitely yes . But in all her simplicity she is spiritually beautiful. Someone sometimes have the gift of grace. They may be also NTs.

I am no NT and if there was a Nobel for AS life I might perhaps win it.

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

25 Jan 2008, 3:23 pm

Nah, NTs are crap. End of.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 3:37 pm

there are lovely people and fools in all walks of life. end of

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 3:45 pm

paolo, I do agree with you but this is the only place I can come to let off steam about NTs. I think most of us are probably only generalising when we say NTs and I doubt that we are against every NT we have ever met or indeed would apply all of our grumbles to all NTs, but we do need to let out our frustrations, its not exactly easy living in an NT world when you don't quite get all of their facial expressions etc etc etc.

I always used to be somebody that would take the side of the underdog, I am years older now and see that this effectively gags people and its not always a good thing to do that.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 3:55 pm

It's the level of sociopathy in the 'normal' or NT population that disturbs me. Seems like there's more of them (sociopathic NTs) than ever. psychos basically.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 4:11 pm

What I call NT dogmatism may be, probably is, a form of sociopathy. Is a lack of understanding, arrogance and stupidity.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 4:17 pm

selfish self obsessed and arrogant, yeah. narcissism is a big component.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 11:51 am

I agree with you,paolo.It's better to try and relate to others on an individual basis,
regardless of whether we view then as NT or whatever.If we start defining people
as part of groups,whether it's based on their thought process,nationality or religion
etc then we may miss out on making connections with them as individuals.
Society is ultimately built on a multitude of 1 to 1 connections.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 1:19 pm

I venture to say that to be NT does mean only that you understand other people in order to interact fluently with them. If you are rich and generous you may be of help for others, if you are hollow, greedy and avid you will probably put your dexterity in relationships to exploit and rob others.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jan 2008, 6:03 pm

I guess I speak badly of NT's after getting to a certain point, because I get so tired of not understanding what they are really saying, or meaning, in a given exchange. Or of having them misunderstand me.

I was recently speaking to a fairly new acquaintance, and caught a remark that I interpreted as a response to perceived boasting on my part. Since I wasn't boasting, but trying to lay the groundwork for a view I was about to share, I felt that first lurch of apprehension. Will this be the norm, in this relationship? Or, although it was a relatively harmless assumption being made, would the next one cut like a knife? If I say nothing, will that be the end of it? And so on. So much work!

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 9:03 am

hartzofspace wrote:
So much work!

Yes it’s Sisypho’s labor. But not necessarily it’s NTs’ fault.
For me the only relationships I have are with shopkeepers. Of course there are various kinds of them. The ones you see often and who, in a marginal way, know you. They may even have real sympathy for you. They cannot be AS, they couldn’t do their job if they hadn’t a fluent capacity to interact. But that doesn’t mean they are insincere or only unctuous. I appreciate their cordiality. readiness to give you what you want and tolerate your idiosycrasies. You leave the shop with a good feeling, and gradually you learn those who are nice and go again in their shops.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jan 2008, 5:55 pm

While I don't blame NT's for being the way they are, I wish it didn't take such a toll on me to interact. I, for the most part, am not an anti-social person. But I have learned that quantity is not better than quality. And if I leave my comfort level too much, in order to facilitate a friendship, I sort of lose myself and have to withdraw for a long time to recover sense of self.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 8:39 pm

Quote:
They cannot be AS, they couldn’t do their job if they hadn’t a fluent capacity to interact.

That's not entirely true. Many AS people like to talk to NT's or AS or whomever... that doesn't mean that they are fantastic at it. The stereotypical AS is someone who is reclusive and is so painfully shy that they can't talk to anyone without their face turning red, stammering, stuttering and unable to hold a conversation is wrong. Just look at the admin of this site: Alex, or his girlfriend. They both can talk to people just fine. They may not be the greatest orators in the world but they get by just fine. In fact, they're both pleasant to talk to, imho.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 10:11 am

pluto wrote:
I agree with you,paolo.It's better to try and relate to others on an individual basis,
regardless of whether we view then as NT or whatever.If we start defining people
as part of groups,whether it's based on their thought process,nationality or religion
etc then we may miss out on making connections with them as individuals.
Society is ultimately built on a multitude of 1 to 1 connections.

Yes I agree to a point when we are mixing with NTs on a one to one or anyone on a one to one basis, but it is very useful to talk about trends and in fact, the media do it all the time, for example they say that our children in the UK don't know how to cook, it is a big generalisation but very helpful for people to discuss which part of society it is (in general) they are focussing on and what they want to do about it, if we only talked about a certain % of people who couldn't cook, that would be much less helpful.

I think we all get on those band wagons of what we are allowed to say or do and though its all meant in a nice way so people aren't labelled or offended, things can be debated by looking at sections without hurting individuals.

Its great to be able to come here and talk about these things with people like you because you sound fair :D

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 10:17 am

I think my only friends and my best friend of all (my brother) are most probably NTs , not to mention my father (I am not too sure about mom) I really can't demonize NTs some people are just lame and it has nothing to do with them being NTs I am sure that if they were aspies they would also be a-holes.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2008, 11:30 am

I agree completely. It's absolutely hypocritical of people to say how tired they are of being picked on by one group of people, only to do the same to them. People can be jerks, NT or Aspie, and people can be nice, NT or Aspie.