Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

retep
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2013, 2:08 am

Money, money, money.

Quality be damned, it's all about what sells... the latest special effects and a big name "star"!

We have devolved into a worldwide cilivization of garbage consumers and celebrity worshipers with the attention spans of fleas and a collective IQ of 7.

They (the mainstream entertainment industry) knows what sort of puke attracts the zombies in droves to buy gallon sized Cokes and bins of greasy popcorn, so they give the people what they want!

We only have ourselves to blame.

Just say NO to this opium for the masses. You certainly won't change anything, but you will prevent your own brain from turning into an outhouse pit.

You'll need to monitor the world's various film festivals if you want to see where the truly good films and stories are being released... and realize that Hollywood simply panders to the lowest common denominator.

Ctrl_F4
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2013, 4:04 am

ablomov wrote:
i cannot bear what is put out as cinema, endless cg monsters and elves and fantasy trash; neither can i stand the sentimental slushy 'human' junk ... has no-one ever used read or studied English??

when i think of some of the quality engaging films of the past, say 50 yrs ago ...

Funeral in Berlin
Five Easy Pieces
The Ipcress File
Get Carter
The Cruel Sea
Moby Dick (no cg then, its got a wooden whale)....
Brief Encounter
Jackie Brown .. a good 'un.

etc etc

... theres lots more I cannot remember...

why must it all be a constant stream of wizards and effects and trash ??

Because people in general want them. The blame is on people, not Hollywood. If people didn't want this crap, Hollywood would have no reason to make crap.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 12:51 pm

I have noticed movies use the same story line but use different themes for it. Teacher comes to teach a class, they are out of control and he or she learns to bond with them and earns their respect. Family hires someone to watch their kids and the person tries to take over the family. Random kid shows up on someone's doorstep and they have to take care of it. Parent needs to hire a nanny but the kid/s is/are a brat/s. Then don't forget how a parent is always single and then they fall in love and get married.

I think what was special about the movie Adam is it was not a typical Hollywood ending. Beth and him don't stay together but they remain friends. Most movies end it with love and make it look like happily ever after.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Tomas73
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2013, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Because people in general want them. The blame is on people, not Hollywood. If people didn't want this crap, Hollywood would have no reason to make crap.

Having considered this, I think it's a bit of both; because the producers of entertainment should take responsibility for making shallow crap. It's they who make a living out of it, not the punters (who may have much less vested interest in the film; saying "it's just a bit of entertainment", but whom have less and less choice to watch something of quality).

It's a bit like drug pushers, you're pretty dumb if you go back for more after trying that s**t, but the guy saying "this one is better than the last one - you'll love it!" - he's really a manipulating selfish b*stard, who preys on peoples lack of perspective.

I feel disappointment in the lack of wisdom of those that consume it, but despise the cynical fodder that is put out.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 8:17 pm

I would probably watch a lot more movies if only Hollywood would get with the 21st century and up the projected frame rate to 48 frames per second. 24 juddery frames per second is SO REDUCTIVE!

Ctrl_F4

04 Oct 2013, 8:43 pm

Tomas73 wrote:
Quote:

Having considered this, I think it's a bit of both; because the producers of entertainment should take responsibility for making shallow crap. It's they who make a living out of it, not the punters (who may have much less vested interest in the film; saying "it's just a bit of entertainment", but whom have less and less choice to watch something of quality).

It's a bit like drug pushers, you're pretty dumb if you go back for more after trying that sh**, but the guy saying "this one is better than the last one - you'll love it!" - he's really a manipulating selfish b*stard, who preys on peoples lack of perspective.

I feel disappointment in the lack of wisdom of those that consume it, but despise the cynical fodder that is put out.

It's solely the consumers. The goal of being a producer is to make profit. You cannot fault the producer for achieving his goal. If we want better movies, we need to educate consumers.

Tomas73
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2013, 9:10 am

Quote:
If we want better movies, we need to educate consumers.

Yes objective education is important. But let us not forget that all media is a form of influencing people's perception. In a way it is educating people, but not necessarily in an objective way.

Quote:
It's solely the consumers. The goal of being a producer is to make profit. You cannot fault the producer for achieving his goal.

TBH, I think that's a capitalist point of view; "it's OK to sell anything". It's not. It's not OK to sell arms, highly toxic and addictive drugs, food with crap in it, ivory, non-sustainable resources, or mis-information. It's not. So why should brain rotting, antisocial culture encouraging, violence promoting, materialism promoting, "America's the greatest country in the world" BS, be acceptable? I'm saying that the films from Hollywood wreak like a cynical fast food outlet for concepts that are unhealthy.

I don't think that policing it in a dictatorial manner would be appropriate, but I think society's leaders should be promoting a positive change of culture instead of endorsing crap just because it makes money.

retep
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2013, 8:59 pm

^

Hit the nail right on the head!

Great post!

Now... if only someone... anyone... would listen.

creepycupcake
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Nov 2013, 1:01 pm

I honestly prefer British movies. I find Hollywood films often superficial, recycled and predictable. I have not seen a good Hollywood film for ages.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 5:42 pm

I prefer independent and international movies.One of my favorites recently was "Ondine" with Colin Farrell.Beautiful and really though provoking.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 7:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I would probably watch a lot more movies if only Hollywood would get with the 21st century and up the projected frame rate to 48 frames per second. 24 juddery frames per second is SO REDUCTIVE!

I heard they did that with The Hobbit.
Haven't seen it yet, though.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 1:16 am

Around 1960, Cleveland Amory, reviewer for TV Guide, summed up the new season's shows as "a vast wasteland." He got dozens of complaints from people who couldn't find "Vast Wasteland" in the schedule. Why should we care how fools entertain themselves? There are more good movies than I have ever had time for, even if none are recent.