Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 3:31 pm

Naturally I was looking for a place to post this in, then "Women's Discussion" came to my mind, but I figured I wouldn't be allowed to post in it for some reason? Then I made a post asking where I should post it and well, here I am.

I'm a 17 year old male, my Mum has this theory that I have a phobia with hair, while I like to think that I'm just Metro-s*xual.
Well, I seeing as I am posting here, I can talk about the face as well. I'll get to the point.

I shave under my arms, legs, chest/belly, and my face.
Thing is, I'm not sure how to shave under my arms properly without leaving a rash, and any tips to shave my legs quicker? (They take about 2 weeks to grow back anyway, but I'd still like to shave then every 5 days or a week).

As for my face, I was never taught how to shave with my face, so I wanted to know... Is there anyway to shave daily and not have a rash? I read somewhere that you're meant to take a hot shower first, then shave afterwards? Is this true? I usually shave first, put face balm on, take a hot shower, put this cream stuff on my face for my skin, then I get out and dry myself.

There's other places I shaved that is left unmentioned because I'm not sure if I should be saying it here :oops:

jmjelde
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2011, 3:40 pm

The razor needs a lubricant of some type so the razor slides smoothly over the skin without nicking it. Hot water works pretty well, soap works better, shampoo better than soap, conditioner better than shampoo and shaving cream best of all. Also if you have a hot shower you are warm for a while and less likely to have goosebumps, which will get nicked if they're up. You could also be using something that actually bothers your skin with certain parts being very sensitive. There's a little strip of lubricant (for some reason it's usually green or pink) on the top of the razor. That might be annoying you.

So yes, shaving after (or during) a hot shower is better.

Oh, and I can't stand the feel of arm hair. I'm just generally itchier if I'm fuzzy, and who wants to be itchy? And the smell if I don't shave my underarms is distracting so that makes sense to shave too.

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 3:57 pm

Well, I use Shaving cream of course, I just meant should I shave after showering (with shaving cream)?

But yeah, you make sense (:
When I shave I tend to feel really cold all around my body and when I shave my face it always hurts and especially my legs... The hairs on my arms is the only hairs I don't shave because... It's very mild to see and plus, sometimes I have to rush, so I just wear jeans and don't shave my legs, it's not like I need to flash them, right? With arm hair it wouldn't be so easy.

Yeah, under arm hair is the worst ):

Any other suggestions for shaving? I need to know all the tips so I don't accidentally cut myself. I've done that a few times already just about... Well everywhere... No person should bleed in that spot.... ):

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 4:06 pm

i can't figure out how somebody could get rashes from shaving unless you're using infected blades or not using creme.

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 4:12 pm

I use a cheap $10 razor, sensitive shaving cream (For girls legs), and well... The blade I use is a little rusted on the right hand side, but I doubt that is the problem because I'd get a rash regardless of it not being there before hand.

It's not just rashes. I easily cut myself and it heals up eventually but the next days it's like it stills needs healing? (Actually everywhere I shaved needs to?) and when I shave it really hurts...

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 5:12 pm

Us lubricated razors and shaving cream/gel whenever possible. Also, lotion afterwards in areas where your skin is sensitive to razor burn (like the legs). Stretch the skin as you shave it for the face & pits.

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 6:17 pm

Thank you, Peko. That advice sounds really useful actually (:
I thought about that for another area, but not under the Arm pit/face or anything, thanks.

You guys have been really helpful (A lot better then Yahoo answers!)

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 6:44 pm

Yes, shaving in or after a bath or shower is best as it softens the hairs...body-wise it's obviously easier too.

I'd actually recommend against shaving foam/cream on the body. You're better off using a good moisturising wash or soap and foaming up well, then use hair conditioner - something cheap, but still a reasonable thickness - on top of the soap foam. With this you get something like shaving foam but thicker, more slippery and gentler on the skin so it is a lot less likely to cause irritation. Before shaving you may also want to try using some olive oil on the skin to prevent drying and add to lubrication too.

I'd also say to get a better razor, as much as I hate the cost of Gillette there is a huge difference between their razors and all other cheaper brands, I'm fairly certain male Gillette razors are the same - be sure it's sharp so doesn't pull, swish in water after each stroke, and keep it somewhere dry. After if you find any irritation try to give it some time before you attempt shaving again or else you're just going to make matters worse, and get some aloe vera to put on the skin to sooth and help it heal - go for aloe vera that's as pure as possible, so nothing that looks blue or green, clear gel is what you're looking for.

I've yet to find the perfect method of preventing some irritation underarm, thus I pluck - which is a suggestion for some areas of your body (certain unmentionable areas are really best not shaved as their hair is too course and the risk of ingrown hairs and cutting is higher), plucking, epilation, or waxing are options, if you can get shaving powder that would work too although it is tricky to find.

Being a girl can't give much advice on shaving your face from a personal perspective, but in all fairness it sounds like you're doing it right just shower first and also avoid shaving too close - again, get better razors. On your face you may benefit from using a shaving oil (you get these in the same isle as shaving foams and creams), do try different foams/creams too as some will be less likely to irritate than others, personally I'd say to avoid the aerosols and go more for the gels because these are generally thicker and more slippy, ideally go for more 'natural' brands if you can too as fewer nasty chemicals means less risk of irritation or sensitivity.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 6:46 pm

sounds like you're using a blunt razor.
Also underarms get very sweaty too.
Sharp razor + some good conditioning lotion before you shave should help. Do it in the shower - shaving dry is a sure recipe for rashes too.

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:00 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
Yes, shaving in or after a bath or shower is best as it softens the hairs...body-wise it's obviously easier too.

I'd actually recommend against shaving foam/cream on the body. You're better off using a good moisturising wash or soap and foaming up well, then use hair conditioner - something cheap, but still a reasonable thickness - on top of the soap foam. With this you get something like shaving foam but thicker, more slippery and gentler on the skin so it is a lot less likely to cause irritation. Before shaving you may also want to try using some olive oil on the skin to prevent drying and add to lubrication too.

I'd also say to get a better razor, as much as I hate the cost of Gillette there is a huge difference between their razors and all other cheaper brands, I'm fairly certain male Gillette razors are the same - be sure it's sharp so doesn't pull, swish in water after each stroke, and keep it somewhere dry. After if you find any irritation try to give it some time before you attempt shaving again or else you're just going to make matters worse, and get some aloe vera to put on the skin to sooth and help it heal - go for aloe vera that's as pure as possible, so nothing that looks blue or green, clear gel is what you're looking for.

I've yet to find the perfect method of preventing some irritation underarm, thus I pluck - which is a suggestion for some areas of your body (certain unmentionable areas are really best not shaved as their hair is too course and the risk of ingrown hairs and cutting is higher), plucking, epilation, or waxing are options, if you can get shaving powder that would work too although it is tricky to find.

Being a girl can't give much advice on shaving your face from a personal perspective, but in all fairness it sounds like you're doing it right just shower first and also avoid shaving too close - again, get better razors. On your face you may benefit from using a shaving oil (you get these in the same isle as shaving foams and creams), do try different foams/creams too as some will be less likely to irritate than others, personally I'd say to avoid the aerosols and go more for the gels because these are generally thicker and more slippy, ideally go for more 'natural' brands if you can too as fewer nasty chemicals means less risk of irritation or sensitivity.

Thank you very much!! ! (:
I'm going to go with your advice. Sounds like I'll need a lot of products, hahas (:
No matter though, and thanks again Bloodheart (:!

hale_bopp wrote:
sounds like you're using a blunt razor.
Also underarms get very sweaty too.
Sharp razor + some good conditioning lotion before you shave should help. Do it in the shower - shaving dry is a sure recipe for rashes too.

Well, they're not really that blunt, I guess I just rush with shaving sometimes? I rush and generally don't put shaving cream under my arms or I put very little there :oops:

Well actually I rarely ever sweat under my arms anymore, it's weird, I never did much when I had hairy arm pits as well... >.<
But yeah, I diffidently noticed a difference in hygiene when I shaved. My goodness! It was easier to smell nice!

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:01 pm

Do it very very slowly and make sure the razor is sharp. Change it very frequently if needed. If you get ingrowing hairs or any type of reaction, wait until the skin is totally healed before shaving again. Keep a careful eye on any ingrowing hairs. They can get infected.

Apply aloe vera gel lightly on damp skin after shaving. This works wonders to prevent rashes and reactions if you've got sensitive skin. Make sure you get a clear gel, not a green one. Green ones have more additives and alcohol and hardly any aloe. The best one in my experience is the one from H&B. It really is the best at preventing shaving rash. Try it. But not on your face, unless you do a patch test first.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... 913&cid=77

I'm assuming you're in the UK, because you said Mum instead of Mom. :wink:

If you continue to have problems with sensitive skin in certain areas, consider trimming instead of wet shaving. You can buy an electric shaver, but in my experience a normal pair of hair clippers set to "0" have a much longer lifespan! Doing it this way will leave you with a slight layer of stubble but you will avoid ingrowing hairs and skin irritation and still get to feel fresh and clean. 8)

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:08 pm

Never mind. Perhaps not wise. :roll:

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:39 pm

all_white wrote:
Do it very very slowly and make sure the razor is sharp. Change it very frequently if needed. If you get ingrowing hairs or any type of reaction, wait until the skin is totally healed before shaving again. Keep a careful eye on any ingrowing hairs. They can get infected.

Apply aloe vera gel lightly on damp skin after shaving. This works wonders to prevent rashes and reactions if you've got sensitive skin. Make sure you get a clear gel, not a green one. Green ones have more additives and alcohol and hardly any aloe. The best one in my experience is the one from H&B. It really is the best at preventing shaving rash. Try it. But not on your face, unless you do a patch test first.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... 913&cid=77

I'm assuming you're in the UK, because you said Mum instead of Mom. :wink:

If you continue to have problems with sensitive skin in certain areas, consider trimming instead of wet shaving. You can buy an electric shaver, but in my experience a normal pair of hair clippers set to "0" have a much longer lifespan! Doing it this way will leave you with a slight layer of stubble but you will avoid ingrowing hairs and skin irritation and still get to feel fresh and clean. 8)

Thank you (:

I'll try the trimming if the wet shaving doesn't work (I pray it does work though, because I really dislike stubble, no matter how small).
I like fresh and clean :).

all_white wrote:

Why isn't it wise? You guys have all given me so many great options that I wouldn't have been able to come up with myself, even on Yahoo answers, people always just insulted me or told me to be a better razor all the time, not actually answering my question.

If one thing doesn't work for me, I have something else to fall on (:
Thank you for reply and the time you have put into this reply, I am very grateful (:.
If all else fails, I will try the trimming ^^

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:50 pm

EgyptianCat wrote:

all_white wrote:

Why isn't it wise?

I wrote something that was not a good idea, and then I decided to delete it. I had to write something in its place, so I wrote "perhaps not wise."

It wasn't about you, it was about me, don't worry.

I hope you get on well with all these tips!

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 8:04 pm

Oh, alright then (:
But now I'm curious to know what you've written, hahas~

Thank you again ^^

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 8:10 pm

I will PM you!