Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 9:30 am

Infantile drama hijacked this post in another section so I decided to repost in a more adult section for serious on-topic answers and discussion.

There's a lady at church. She's one of the few women near my age and she's a mom with a lot of kids. She really doesn't like me. I have no idea why. She's civil to me. When we're left in a room alone, it's the kind of awkward that comes when you're stuck in a room with someone you don't want to talk to. I don't think she's said anything about me to people because the awkwardness is just around her with me. She's friendly to everyone else, including my husband. So I don't get it. I must've said something or maybe I missed something she said and she thought I was snobby and didn't like her... sometimes that happens. I'm not as outspoken around the church group as I am elsewhere because I don't wish to offend people. I took my husband aside at a church-based social function last evening and said, "She really doesn't like me." in a half-amused voice. I'm not taking it personal, I'm not offended, but I just can't figure out why. He told me later that it may just take more time, more social functions, and she'll loosen up and realize I'm cool. And I guess that's about all there is to it. She hasn't seemed to have needed that time to be cool around anyone else, though.

If I get sick of it, I'm not above asking her, "You act like you don't like me. That's the vibe I get. Have I done something to offend you? Why don't you like me?" but someone can get really freaked out by that kind of directness, so I try not to bottom line it for people when I can avoid it.

In the meanwhile, it's like my husband says, just let it go and let her opinion change with more interaction. I may just be one of those people that just rubs her the wrong way without there needing to be an explicit reason. Who knows.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 9:41 am

Honestly, it could be nothing you said or did. Some people get a sense of "Oh, she's different from me, in some way I can't put my finger on," and that's enough for them. It has nothing to do with whether the "different" is harmful or threatening in any way; some people are just that closed-minded.

I've had people size me up for what I could potentially do for them and as soon as they realized that 1) I was different from them, 2) was immune to their "charms" and schmoozing, and 3) was unlikely to recognize that they wanted something from me or able to provide it, even if I wanted to, it's like I no longer existed. I don't take it personally, I think there are genetic and cultural components to this kind of behavior. I do find it quite short-sighted, but then I have an extremely long memory... :wink:

Since you're married and are present with your husband in a social setting, I don't get the sense that she's worried that you're a threat to her marriage. I get that a lot, unfortunately, as a single female in social settings, regardless of whether I've even looked at a particular person. :roll: I have been "friended" on Facebook by significant others of male friends, and then every communication I have with the male friend is followed up by a comment from his significant other. It's just amusing.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 10:17 am

mv wrote:
Since you're married and are present with your husband in a social setting, I don't get the sense that she's worried that you're a threat to her marriage. I get that a lot, unfortunately, as a single female in social settings, regardless of whether I've even looked at a particular person. :roll: I have been "friended" on Facebook by significant others of male friends, and then every communication I have with the male friend is followed up by a comment from his significant other. It's just amusing.

That is weird. I've seen that happen for a guy friend of mine. He was friends with a married woman and her husband would go bonkers every time the guy gave her a compliment. They're divorced now. lol

As far as she goes, I don't think her husband was attracted to me at all. He doesn't even attend with her and the kids anymore but I couldn't begin to speculate why. I don't think she's attracted to my husband, either. She just acknowledges that he exists, which is far more than I get.

But, omg, Facebook. So many women from my husband's high school drool over him on Facebook. They're married, single, divorced, whatever, it doesn't matter. They just think my husband is God's Gift to Women. It's funnier than hell. I don't feel a need to comment or compete. I just read and laugh.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 10:24 am

wefunction wrote:
mv wrote:

That is weird. I've seen that happen for a guy friend of mine. He was friends with a married woman and her husband would go bonkers every time the guy gave her a compliment. They're divorced now. lol

As far as she goes, I don't think her husband was attracted to me at all. He doesn't even attend with her and the kids anymore but I couldn't begin to speculate why. I don't think she's attracted to my husband, either. She just acknowledges that he exists, which is far more than I get.

But, omg, Facebook. So many women from my husband's high school drool over him on Facebook. They're married, single, divorced, whatever, it doesn't matter. They just think my husband is God's Gift to Women. It's funnier than hell. I don't feel a need to comment or compete. I just read and laugh.

Ooh, maybe she finds your husband attractive and is secretly resentful of you? Maybe she's embarrassed that her husband doesn't attend with her and you're a convenient scapegoat? The possibilities are endless! Regardless, it sounds like you have a very secure head on your shoulders, which is great.

I laugh at that Facebook s**t. If these women talked to me for five minutes, they'd know I was no threat to anyone's relationship, unless it were one of my own!! ! I just find it amusing that they assume I'm up to no good, regardless, and that they must swoop in and announce their presence. Much as I'd love to be able to blend into "regular" society, there are parts of it they can keep!

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2011, 11:14 am

I will give u a totally dif take on this

I have had this experince quite often. (feeling like people are activly ignoring me) i kinda think some of it is how we tend to interact with others. I have been told often i come across as all buisness, since i generaly dont make small talk or chat.
I wonder if they just dont know how to begin a conversation or if something about how they percive me makes them avoident.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 11:45 am

joestenr wrote:
I will give u a totally dif take on this

I have had this experince quite often. (feeling like people are activly ignoring me) i kinda think some of it is how we tend to interact with others. I have been told often i come across as all buisness, since i generaly dont make small talk or chat.
I wonder if they just dont know how to begin a conversation or if something about how they percive me makes them avoident.

Yes. I was thinking something like this. One thing that I know is that people don't like being rejected and they'll avoid people if they feel that they'll be rejected. I know that she's never shared The Peace (there's a part in church service where you shake other people's hands and say "peace be with you" or "peace" or "hello") with me, although I have with all her kids except her first grade daughter, who likewise treats me like I don't exist. I find it pretty bizarre and curious when I think about it. I'm pretty sure there's no husband-stealing subplot, but I've got to believe that I've done something to set her off. People don't just instantly decide not to like someone without some reason, even if it's unintentional on our part.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 11:54 am

She could be jealous that you have a good marriage and she doesn't? I mean, it could be 80% issues on her part and only 20% that you're too businesslike, whatever, whatever.

One thing I learned playing poker, roll with good things, pull back from bad, and a lot of times there's not a definite explanation. (I generally do recommend poker for social skills. I very much do not recommend it as an attempt to try and make movie primarily because of natural variance and the statistical phenomenon of "gambler's ruin." In other words, poker should be just for fun.)

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2011, 6:52 pm

you can also take comfort in assuming that by statistical probability you will almost always meet at least one person who has their head in their ass anywhere, (go to your local shopping center and prove me wrong) :lol:

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 8:35 pm

Who knows what goes through peoples' heads? Especially NT women....yikes!
I prefer to think that people who act like that are jealous of me...or afraid of me. Either one will do.
In reality, it's probably due to some crazy reason that you'd never guess.

Moopants
Raven
Raven

04 May 2011, 5:07 pm

I often find the ones I think dislike me are the ones I generally get on best with eventually.

You may be a threat to her for any number of reasons. She may be equally as shy as you come across. You could just be really paranoid. Unless you ask you'll never know.

But asking could really put a wedge between you. Why not extend the hand of friendship to her? Make a specific effort with her for a while and if she is still standoffish then leave her to it and at that point be blatantly obvious about knowing she dislikes you.

We cant all get along and we don't have to like everyone, and conversely be liked. That doesn't mean being rude or without manners, as pleasantries don't hurt.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 3:39 am

I've come to realize in my observations of NT's, that NT women can not like someone for silly, illogical reasons and frequently, it isn't a matter of you having done anything offensive or wrong.

Of the reasons I've noted that NT women frequently have for not liking other women, in no particular order.

1. Jealousy.
2. Not in line with their own standards.
3. Arrogance (their own)
4. Arrogance (perceived on the part of the other woman)
5. Various other petty things.

I guess you have two choices

1. Leave the subject alone.
2. Politely ask if you've done anything to offend her (in this situation, most people will deny that you have, and also deny any negative feelings they might have towards you. It could result in her being warmer to you.)

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:20 am

happens with me too often
many people dont seem to like me
they tend to just ignore
not say hi
or include me in their conversation
i just keep to myself now....since i know about this

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 9:14 am

I know that a lot of people are put off by me because of my "body language" or lack of. I also have little to no eye contact which makes people nervous. I used to wonder why people didnt like me without knowing me...I just figured I wasnt "their" people so that was why they would pinch up their face, say cruel things to me or behind my back or simply ignore me.
Ive been singled out in the work place and it used to really upset me. I used to have to work next to another Medical Assistant that absolutely hated me for no apparent reason. She was also good friends with the administrator and her doctor was the head doc in the practice. Instead of helping me as I was struggling she actually did things to sabotage me. I never did anything to her but she seemed to want to make me miserable and very much enjoyed it when she did. I finally ended up getting fired because I could not handle all the pressure and anxiety. The job was stressful enough but to have her on top of me all the time made it all that much worse. I even developed a tic that lasted for months. My doctor didnt want to loose me but she knew what was going on and could not really protect me and knew I was loosing it. She did try to move my desk once but the administrator would not have it. At least my doctor made them give me severance pay and even took care of me through my pregnancy....I was a few months pregnant when all this was going on as well.
I think they were hoping that I would quit but the administrator was very happy to fire me, she was even smiling when I was crying and then asked me if I was shocked? I guess they thought I was smug and did not think I would get fired....it was actually just the opposite.
Anyway, this taught me a valuable lesson....I dont let these types of people bother me anymore. They can hate me for their weird reasons....whatever they may be, but Im not going to let this affect me anymore.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 9:33 am

liloleme wrote:
I know that a lot of people are put off by me because of my "body language" or lack of. I also have little to no eye contact which makes people nervous. I used to wonder why people didnt like me without knowing me...I just figured I wasnt "their" people so that was why they would pinch up their face, say cruel things to me or behind my back or simply ignore me.
Ive been singled out in the work place and it used to really upset me. I used to have to work next to another Medical Assistant that absolutely hated me for no apparent reason. She was also good friends with the administrator and her doctor was the head doc in the practice. Instead of helping me as I was struggling she actually did things to sabotage me. I never did anything to her but she seemed to want to make me miserable and very much enjoyed it when she did. I finally ended up getting fired because I could not handle all the pressure and anxiety. The job was stressful enough but to have her on top of me all the time made it all that much worse. I even developed a tic that lasted for months. My doctor didnt want to loose me but she knew what was going on and could not really protect me and knew I was loosing it. She did try to move my desk once but the administrator would not have it. At least my doctor made them give me severance pay and even took care of me through my pregnancy....I was a few months pregnant when all this was going on as well.
I think they were hoping that I would quit but the administrator was very happy to fire me, she was even smiling when I was crying and then asked me if I was shocked? I guess they thought I was smug and did not think I would get fired....it was actually just the opposite.
Anyway, this taught me a valuable lesson....I dont let these types of people bother me anymore. They can hate me for their weird reasons....whatever they may be, but Im not going to let this affect me anymore.

sounds so similar to what im going through
thankfully i have stopped working

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 10:23 am

namaste wrote:
liloleme wrote:

sounds so similar to what im going through
thankfully i have stopped working

No one should have to go through that. How awful that both of you have had experiences this horrible. :(

NeverFitsIn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2011, 8:11 pm

liloleme wrote:

I had something very similar happen to me, except the abuse and bullying was an attempt to try and control me. My office manager (the primary abuser) actually kept hoping I'd get pregnant. She even gave me a basal body temperature thermometer (tracks fertility) as a gift, hoping I'd use it to get pregnant. (I did use it, but after I'd already quit.) Pregnant women are hormonally more inclined to take directions and be biddable. The front office secretary suffered under this maniac through her entire pregnancy.

This woman was an extrovert, a bully and extremely insecure. I was professional, competent and beloved by the client base with whom I worked. Everything I did, I guess, made her feel like she looked bad. I had the misfortune to be indirectly under her on the office hierarchy and she carefully shredded my fine reputation with the company in the year following her hire.

In my experience, she picked a fight with me by coming over and berating me at my station while I tried to not engage (safest bet really with her). The following day I was written up for insubordination and picking a fight with her. She even had other office workers attest to the event as witnesses. I was fed up with over a year's worth of bullying & BS and watching my dream job turn into hell before my eyes so I quit at this nonsense. Friends still working there later told me how they were furious about that! I wasn't supposed to quit! They thought I desperately needed the income from this job and were planning on me staying! So why treat me so horribly? Honestly, I just don't understand extroverts and NTs.

AQ = 38 / 50
EQ = 20 / 80
SQ = 110 / 150