Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

phil_d1111
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2011, 7:09 pm

I just don't seem to be able to mix

saying that - I work in a busy diner most days and am surrounded by stuff going on
talking to people - doing stuff

But when work ends - bang! - nothing

I have a partner but we seem to spend the evenings in different rooms as i have this aversion to television and can't stand sitting in front of it - she does not have this problem

given the chance I think I'd work all the time with no 'leisure' time as I seem to freewheel when not in work and it sort of distresses me not being totally occupied and I resort to drinking wine and going on computer

I've expressed these concerns to close people but all I get is glib "join a club" type answers

I have tried various things over the years - badminton and some other bits and pieces but the years seem to just flit by and I seem to gel with no one

don't get me wrong - there are people around me but its like I am this husk of inability to emotionally interact with anyone - an inert gas

am not completely sure what I am actually asking the forum as this has been the situation for many years- but fire away if you can think of anything

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 7:19 pm

It sounds to me like you simply want to come home from work and chill. Millions of people do that, and theres nothing wrong with it. If you are at work all day with all that noise and hustle and bustle, especially being AS, the quiet, down time, is needed. I don't see a problem with what you are doing. As long as it's not causing any relationship strain, why try and fix whats not broken?

My husband loves to watch tv. That's his leisure activity. I like it sometimes, when I want to watch a certain show, but not just for the sake of watching it. I either sit in here and get online while he's watching tv, or I lay on the bed and read a book while he's watching tv. We are both happy with this arrangement.

As long as neither of you is using the tv as an excuse to avoid spending time with each other, it shouldnt' be a problem. How does your partner feel about the evening seperation?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

phil_d1111
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2011, 7:29 pm

she doesn't like it that I won't sit there watching the tv

"what is it you look at?" is what I get asked when looking on the internet

I guess its not that happy a relationship

I see people doing all sorts of interesting stuff - like my brother joining a choir group

I get asked why I don't do that too but know that I'll just end up standing there like a dummy

he seems to be able to talk and prattle endlessly while my own responses seem to be limited to a series of "yes" "no" or other monosylabic grunts

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 9:16 pm

Partners do like to feel there's some sort of leisure time sharing going on. Fake it till you make it, that's my motto. Why not recommend she watch 'Big Bang'? Then you can both laugh at people who behave like you do.