Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

needscontact
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2011, 7:23 pm

My daughter will be 30 years old this January. She has had lots of diagnosis through the years. Just was diagnosed with asperger's 2 years ago. Some days are good, some OK and some I want to run away from home. Finding a doctor has been the biggest deal recently and getting her to go to the doctor.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2011, 8:34 pm

Hello and welcome to Wrong Planet! Thank you for sharing.

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 9:27 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

And Asperger's is kind of a happy diagnosis, isn't it?

I would be curious about medication. Although a person on the spectrum can certainly have anxiety or depression, I'm not aware of other medications.

I myself have not had great experiences with so-called 'mental health professionals' (cough, cough). And I'm really of the opinion that it's an equally valid choice to ask a regular doctor with some horse sense, like an internist or family practitioner, to prescribe something like an antidepressant.

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 5:26 pm

I think the biggest help us adults can have would be a "life coach" or counselor (one who has a good knowledge of AS)

I find that I could use help in deciphering WHAT it is that I'm going through (because a lot of times, my perception is just so skewed....)

Has your daughter joined? She might find help here, too.

Good luck & welcome to WP!

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2011, 7:00 am

MsMarginalized wrote:
I think the biggest help us adults can have would be a "life coach" or counselor (one who has a good knowledge of AS)

That.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

Welcome aboard.

Happy diagnosis, my tailfeathers.

Well, it's not easy, but it could be worse. Hang in there.

*hugs*

needscontact
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2011, 12:56 am

Thanks for the welcomes. My daughter is unable to work so she had to have a Psych Dr. She had some sort of intervention since 1st grade. I am glad that some are getting the correct diagnosis sooner than she did, and there is so much more available now. I have mentioned this community to her several times. Hope she will check it out.

Life coach sounds like a good idea to me.