Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

HappyPaul
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2012, 9:48 pm

I have a question for anyone who has ever had a Hysterectomy or who knows someone who has had a Hysterectomy:

Would it be normal for a Woman who has had one to experience moodiness similar to PMS?

Thanks

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:09 pm

I have not, however, that seems to be a side effect.

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/mo ... ectomy.htm

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:19 pm

My mother had one and she eventually started having symptoms similar to menopause.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:28 pm

I had a complete hysterectomy just over 6 years ago to get rid of cancer, followed by three internal radiation treatments after I recovered from surgery. It worked. The only side effects I had once I recovered from the surgery, were of course, no more periods, and also I gained about 60 pounds. I don't miss the periods, but I was already over weight, so the weight gain was not good.

According to my research prior to surgery, women sometimes do go through a form of menopause afterwards. However, women who were over weight at the time of surgery sometimes have less such effects because the fat stores up some of the hormones, so the body draws on the hormones in the fat to compensate for the loss of the organs that used to make them. While I am glad I have not had to suffer from menopause, I am not thrilled with gaining 60 more pounds.

My older sister has been going through menopause for quite a while (no hysterectomy), so I know what I have been missing. :-D However, different people go through it differently. My step mom told me that when she went through menopause, it lasted only a few days, and then she was through with it.

If you are having a problem, talk to your doctor. You might ask him about those natural menopause supplements. They are supposed to be safer than the ones from the big drug companies.

I hope things get better for you, and that you make a full recovery.

HappyPaul
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

Thanks, it was my Girlfriend who had the Hysterectomy, not I. This happened about a week ago.

They left her Ovaries in.

Today, we just had our worst argument ever.
It reminded me of the fights my ex-wife and I would have "at that time of the month" , where there was nothing I could say that was right, the more I talked, the deeper a hole I dug for myself.
It didn't occur to me until afterward that it could have something to do with Hormones.

clthomps
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2012, 11:32 pm

My wife had one at age 22, and yes it does happen, at least for a couple months..

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2012, 12:53 am

I had a complete hysterectomy in 1998, including my cervix. I had a fibroid tumor (benign) and endometriosis. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. The day I returned from the surgery, I handed all my female products to my daughter and have never looked back. They told me my sex drive would go down. They told me I might go through hormonal changes, weight gain, moodiness, a whole bunch of side effects.

Let me tell you, my life has never been better. My sex drive increased, I lost 50 lbs, my then bf asked me to marry him when he was considering breaking up at the time of the surgery. I feel so free now. My moods have never been milder. I rarely get angry.

HappyPaul
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2012, 2:23 am

Yes, they took a Fibroid Tumour the size of a Grapefruit out of my Girlfriend.

One of the last things she said to me before we stopped speaking was, "Do you have an ounce of Emotion in You?". I wonder how many Aspies have heard a variation on that before?

I spoke to a Nurse friend of mine about this and she said,

"Don't forget though that pain, fatigue, blood loss, likely irregular sleep patterns, will all take their toll on her. She only JUST had the surgery, and even though she likely 'looks' all better now, might not even need to be taking anything for pain anymore, her body has still got massive amounts of healing to do yet. It is MAJOR surgery, and tissues take a long while to heal. It's exhausting on a body, and she's probably pushing herself mentally an physically harder than she should be right now--because we ALL think we should, we're never patient enough as we should be".

So, I guess I'll just have to back off a bit and hope that the dark clouds clear. I don't know what else to do.

fallen_angel
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2012, 3:52 am

I would suggest you to make her see that she still is a full functioning woman to you.
Beside all the physical symptoms there are some emotional as well.
How would a guy feel who loses his penis but still has his balls?
Just because females carry most of their genitals inside doesn't mean they don't get effected by 'losing' it. Maybe this helps you a bit to understand what it means psychological for a woman. I have worked as a nurse so I have some experiences with that.
She needs to know that you still desire her and that she is still a full woman for you. She probably would never talk about that with you but believe me it's a huge part of her thinking.
Like men measure their worth often by their virility, a woman measures it on the fact that she can give the birth, to create new life. When we lose this ability or when we come into the age when this ability is just lost to natural reasons we just feel worthless. That's what a man need to know.
Wish you and your wife the best.
Sorry for the worse English, I'm not a native English speaker but I hope you will understand my point.

HappyPaul
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2012, 7:04 am

Thanks, fallen angel.

Cytheria
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2012, 9:44 pm

fallen_angel wrote:
How would a guy feel who loses his penis but still has his balls?

Wouldn't it be the other way around? Having no uterus seems a lot more analogous to not having testicles.
replica watches replica watch replica watches replica watch swiss watch replicas

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 4:40 pm

HappyPaul wrote:
Thanks, it was my Girlfriend who had the Hysterectomy, not I. This happened about a week ago.

They left her Ovaries in.

Today, we just had our worst argument ever.
It reminded me of the fights my ex-wife and I would have "at that time of the month" , where there was nothing I could say that was right, the more I talked, the deeper a hole I dug for myself.
It didn't occur to me until afterward that it could have something to do with Hormones.

I hope your girlfriend gets well soon. You say they left her ovaries, so she will still be getting the time of the month hormonal stuff that went on before. She's also just had major surgery and it's life changing too. You don't say why she had the surgery, but no matter what, it's a really big deal to any woman. Look after her. She needs you now, more than ever.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 11:00 am

People who've just had surgery are typically stressed-out and in pain.
Stress and pain cause bad moods, which lead to fights.
Also, suggesting that a woman's bad mood is hormonal will always cause a fight, regardless of what's going on with her reproductive system. That is because it invalidates her emotions. Hormones may make a mountain out of a molehill, but they don't make a mountain out of flat ground. You have to acknowledge the molehill, and respect her view that it is a mountain even if you don't see it that way.

HappyPaul
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2012, 3:12 am

Thanks, Folks.