Are you self sufficient?
Yes 63%  63%  [ 168 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 100 ]
Total votes : 268

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2012, 2:45 am

My wife and daughter's dentistry bills, so am I. As for my rather ground down teeth, they can disappear and I can then graduate to dentures; my looks are not my fortune after all.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 8:06 pm

I'm 100% self-sufficient, even though I'm soon fired from jobs and spend periods of time on unemployment.

I have no one who might help me, no family or friends, so I have no choice but be completely independent in every sense. I've been since my early twenties, when I moved to the other end of the world.

I have excellent executive functioning, organization, resourcefulness and planning talent. I'm a zero at any kind of human relations.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 10:51 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
As for my rather ground down teeth, they can disappear and I can then graduate to dentures; my looks are not my fortune after all.

you don't want those things, trust me- they almost never fit totally correctly and they make food taste tasteless.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2012, 11:36 pm

Really? Although I am trying to understand how tasteless food would 'taste'? I think I understand, its a non-tasty taste ...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 12:24 am

Jabberwokky wrote:
Really? Although I am trying to understand how tasteless food would 'taste'? I think I understand, its a non-tasty taste ...

blandly pasty. blandly chewy like eating cardboard.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 12:58 am

I've been independent since 18 but self-sufficient is harder to gauge. I think self-sufficient since 29? Before that I lived with roommates and boyfriends. So for the last 7 years I've been on my own and paying my own way and doing all my own chores. My apartment has no "style" but it's clean and tidy and there's always toilet paper and hand soap. None of which could ever be counted on when I co-habitated. I seriously love living by myself!

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2012, 4:16 am

I'll just drown the cardboard in more vinegar and flamethrowers sauce :bom:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 9:06 am

RazorEddie wrote:
I suppose I could be called aggressively self sufficient: 'leave me alone - I can deal with it myself'. I earn a decent wage and have no real trouble supporting myself.

When I was younger, I was hell bent on proving I could do it on my own. As a single mom, I didn't do too bad but I don't miss the stress.
Medical bills are a killer. Especially when you think about how almost half that amount is feeding the bureaucratic waste monsters... :x

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 11:14 pm

No, not yet. I'm living at my house, but I pay rent from my child support (even though I'm 20 I'm still getting child support from my father). It is the reason why my mom can keep the house, but yet I'm not able yet to do enough stuff to be able to live on my own. I think that when I move out, it'll be with my boyfriend, not by myself. I think I would be really scared to be alone.
I don't know if/when I'll be self sufficient. I just get so overwhelmed, so easily. I had such hopes for myself, and now I'm just stuck.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 11:16 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
I'll just drown the cardboard in more vinegar and flamethrowers sauce :bom:

or teriyaki paste and glaze, or onion ketchup - yum :)

Female
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2012, 6:33 pm

I'm a horrible mess of a person. Don't work, bad hygiene, messy room, irritable, and suicidal.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:32 pm

^^^
i hardly feel any better. :hmph:

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:49 pm

cozysweater wrote:
I've been independent since 18 but self-sufficient is harder to gauge. I think self-sufficient since 29? Before that I lived with roommates and boyfriends. So for the last 7 years I've been on my own and paying my own way and doing all my own chores. My apartment has no "style" but it's clean and tidy and there's always toilet paper and hand soap. None of which could ever be counted on when I co-habitated. I seriously love living by myself!

Same here... My place may not be my own house/mortgage yet, but it's a nice apartment and relatively clean & stocked. I hated, HATED room mates and their selfish, rude behaviour. I need my privacy and quiet recharge time... and the freedom to walk around nekkid if I need/want to. ;)

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2012, 1:11 am

A tip for all you with out of control lives; think of life as a contact sport (rugby, american football, martial arts, boxing etc) or that you are in Valhalla and you are a super star or eternal Viking. Every morning just pump your psyche up and go hit the day like its the biggest day of your life. Okay, so I don't quite maintain that sort of adrenalin pumping madness every day, but I certainly have transferred that anxiety energy into the channelled rage of a pro sportsman. It works for me although some people think I'm a bit intense at times and at other times I'm like the tree sloth. No moderation in my case. Omg but this wine tastes good.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 6:28 am

I am pretty self-sufficient. I have a mortgage on a nice flat with my wife and work full time in a software development role. I am less sure how well I would do without the support of my wife though. She does a lot of work around the house and manages the budget and shopping...and drives for us both...and keeps me from getting too stressed about stuff. ...and reminds me about all the stuff I keep forgetting. ...Actually, I wouldn't survive very long at all without her before regressing to some sort of cave-man. Better stick with her I think!

Alexithymia: 137

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 6:45 am

I'm not self sufficient since 2011 (contract of temporary work ended). I can't have my own home, I have always shared it with other people or I have lived with my parents. To pay an apartment you need a lot of money, you can't pay it with the low salaries of here or the high rates of unemployment. If you get a job, the contract is only for 3-6 months and normally is only part-time contract. You can't organize your life on these conditions. Young people only can have own apartment if they have a girlfriend/boyfriend and if both of them have a job, so they can afford the rent. Single young people have to share apartment with two or three people. I lived alone once because rent was not very expensive (it was not cheap either), but it was only 10m2 (it was a studio in very good conditions, but too small).