No 37%  37%  [ 100 ]
Total votes : 268

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
Jabberwokky wrote:
Really? Although I am trying to understand how tasteless food would 'taste'? I think I understand, its a non-tasty taste ...

blandly pasty. blandly chewy like eating cardboard.

Really?

I learnt something new today :nerdy:

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 2:21 pm

I have a mortgage on a single bedroom flat of 74m2, and a vehicle loan. I'm doing ok materialistic wise. Yet I do need someone to buy me clothes. I hate buying it.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 1:58 am

I am, yes. Did not initially have any choice in the matter but I survived, I learned, I am okay. The short version is that I was 17, living with my mom, she met a man, married him, moved out, covered the last few months rent on the apartment while i finished highschool and before the lease expired, then for me it was obtain employment and own apartment or move in with father. Which, to me, was closer to an option between get a job/apartment or live on the street. The street would have been preferable to living with father.

Anyway. I did it. I am proud to say that I managed, regardless of the circumstances. I like my current job. I own a car. My apartment is reasonably nice.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 7:12 am

Now there's a role model! I bet you have lots of stories to tell, MrStewart.

kittygirl0811
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2012, 4:45 pm

I am self-sufficient. I've been living alone for 6 years now, 4 before that I was living with my one brother (who I also suspect is AS). We both have managed steady jobs and I pay all my own bills. At this point I could never move back in with my parents so self-sufficiency is important to me.

Bartolome

14 Oct 2012, 9:04 pm

see my post... I am newly self sufficient

MasterSynaps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2013, 11:47 am

I'm somewhat obssessive about self sufficiency. I don't like asking for help with things. I find ways to get around doing 2person jobs on my own I used to be self employed. These days I recieve disability pension, though not for aspergers.
I live alone in the forest. I built my own house, I made up my own solar power system. I do most of my own repairs to things. I'd grow my own food but the critters keep eating it whenever I try. I like making stuff.
I don't have any trouble handling the day to day business of life stuff, though I'm a bit chaotic with it

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 7:55 pm

MasterSynaps wrote:
I'm somewhat obssessive about self sufficiency. I don't like asking for help with things. I find ways to get around doing 2person jobs on my own I used to be self employed. These days I recieve disability pension, though not for aspergers. I live alone in the forest. I built my own house, I made up my own solar power system. I do most of my own repairs to things. I'd grow my own food but the critters keep eating it whenever I try. I like making stuff. I don't have any trouble handling the day to day business of life stuff, though I'm a bit chaotic with it

to keep the critters away from your stuff, build an elevated cache, just like dick proenneke did, as described in his "alone in the wilderness" tale.

MasterSynaps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2013, 8:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:
MasterSynaps wrote:
I'm somewhat obssessive about self sufficiency. I don't like asking for help with things. I find ways to get around doing 2person jobs on my own I used to be self employed. These days I recieve disability pension, though not for aspergers. I live alone in the forest. I built my own house, I made up my own solar power system. I do most of my own repairs to things. I'd grow my own food but the critters keep eating it whenever I try. I like making stuff. I don't have any trouble handling the day to day business of life stuff, though I'm a bit chaotic with it

to keep the critters away from your stuff, build an elevated cache, just like dick proenneke did, as described in his "alone in the wilderness" tale.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've got plans along that line, but other things are in the queue before it, and food is cheap here so it's not critical from that angle, it'spurely asthetic and quality related. One day ( he says gazing into the distance)

tigerlily
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2013, 5:47 pm

I think I would describe myself as self insufficient but I really have no choice.

Mahogany
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2013, 8:13 pm

MasterSynaps wrote:
I'm somewhat obssessive about self sufficiency. I don't like asking for help with things. I find ways to get around doing 2person jobs on my own I used to be self employed. These days I recieve disability pension, though not for aspergers.
I live alone in the forest. I built my own house, I made up my own solar power system. I do most of my own repairs to things. I'd grow my own food but the critters keep eating it whenever I try. I like making stuff.
I don't have any trouble handling the day to day business of life stuff, though I'm a bit chaotic with it

I have very similar sentiments. I have a place in the woods as well, backe dup to a creek and national forest land. I have learned to do most everything I needed to to renovate the house, and then keep things going. Partly because I don't like to ask for help, or to need help, and partly because I love learning new things. I have started to have trouble with the day to day stuff though, as I have gotten more anxious, and am not sure how to get things back under control.

I do like living with a partner, but roommates are a different thing, and often too annoying to be worth it.
I need my space, and people to respect that need. Also, I like it best if there is someone special there, but not necessarily talking or interacting with me. Hmmm. That sounds like I want a cat. (3 are plenty!)

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2013, 11:46 am

I have struggled with this for years. I cannot seem to maintain self-sufficiency. I was doing well a few years ago when I had a well-paying job, but lost it due to my AS traits. I am currently at my least sufficient since my teens. I am literally living on charity. I am overwhelmed by what it would take to get a diagnosis, get help, and dig myself out of this hole when even NTs can't find work. I abhor the idea of going on disability, but given my track record, I may not have a choice.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Darshan
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Mar 2013, 12:20 pm

I am physically self-sufficient but mostly because I'm obsessed with not being enslaved by debt and I'm most comfortable living simply without a lot of clutter or possessions. But emotionally, I rely heavily on my family to function. They are supportive, help keep me on an even keel and run social interference for me. They are my safety net. Otherwise I think it is probable my quality of life would be pretty dismal.

FIVEWSWHOWHATETC

03 Apr 2013, 6:25 pm

There is a similar thread 'How Many of You Live on Your Own?' -- that is many on the Autism Spectrum need some supports; hence the 'self-sufficient" can be a misnomer.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts194355- ... b691e9ac89

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 1:19 pm

I would like to be but money is always a problem in a society where we need money to live.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

I've lived by myself off and on(had room mates for three out of the last 5.5 years). I feel as only through luck I am self-sufficient. I work for the fed gov, and only because of that, I think I still have my job. If I was in pub sec, I'd have been fired several times over for things that have happened, but they can't touch me on my AS. I hate my job. I only got this job through luck. I only keep it and haven't quit because I have no where else to go. Should I lose the job tomorrow I'm screwed. Hopefully, I could go back to one of my parents. As it is right now, stress has almost killed me several times over the last few years from being self-sufficient. I don't like being so alone.