Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

glight98
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2013, 4:31 pm

How am I going to live independently when I'm tightly livinig with my mother and step father? I am living tightly with them, because I don't know how to handle things on my own yet, which is why they won't let me. What are the ways that I can defeat my aspergers or autism?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 5:31 pm

in time the answer will come to you.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 5:41 pm

first, learn how to manage your money and balance a checkbook. learning to cook and do laundry would be next. can you use public transportation?

glight98
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2013, 6:38 pm

@cathylnn, no I can't use public transportation. I can cook some things on the stove and can get some experience with a check book. I am just not allowed to manage a check book in real time.

patdbunny
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2013, 6:48 pm

Where are you located and how old are you?
I'm in San Diego and our regional center helps those with developmental disabilities work towards independence. Here's some info: http://sdrc.org/

Maybe find out about moving into a group home as a transition towards independence.

glight98
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2013, 7:02 pm

I live in the USA of Oklahoma and am 22 years old. I have question to ask: is it free to register? I don't know I will have to check it out.

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2013, 5:29 am

The internet is a great resource for finding out, step by step, how to do things that might come a bit more natural to NT's. Then I find that schedules help for laundry/dishes/cleaning/etc.

glight98
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2013, 12:49 pm

Yes, I know the internet is a great resource, but will require any one to search more deeper.

patdbunny

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 12:53 pm

It's really hard and sometimes you will make mistakes but you just have to be a little bit tough and brave and you will be fine. Good luck :D

Jonov
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2013, 4:33 pm

I have a personal coach who specializes in autism visiting me twice a week.

That way I can ask help where needed when chores, bills and managing other parts of living independently overwhelm me, and also talk about what's on my mind.

I don't know if they have something like this where you live, but here it is paid for by the government when you have a diagnosis.

Maybe it is something worth looking into. :)

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 5:48 pm

Jonov wrote:

That way I can ask help where needed when chores, bills and managing other parts of living independently overwhelm me, and also talk about what's on my mind.

I don't know if they have something like this where you live, but here it is paid for by the government when you have a diagnosis.

In the USA, this service costs anywhere from $75-150 per visit.

Jonov
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2013, 6:17 pm

kirayng wrote:
Jonov wrote:

Wow I had no idea about that, but that is ridiculous for something that is so extremely vital to people with high functioning autism, at least it is in my opinion.

glight98
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2013, 7:22 pm

I don't know how to use the quote here, but I don't know if they have that kind of help here too! I did used to have a professional therapist come visit me, but it turned out that it didn't help for me. It was hard explaining the subject to him, so then we have then discontinued.

Shizzle
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2013, 11:57 pm

Jonov wrote:
kirayng wrote:
Jonov wrote:

Wow I had no idea about that, but that is ridiculous for something that is so extremely vital to people with high functioning autism, at least it is in my opinion.

just thought i'd throw this out there for anyone interested: i am on SSD, and my HMO offers *telephone* assistance of the same nature, for free...sure, it's not the same thing as meeting in person -- then again, some people prefer to talk on the phone vs having someone visit.

you are assigned to a specific licensed professional, who calls at an agreed time, at a frequency that is up to you...from once a month, to once a week or more. you can also call *them* at any time during the day. and if you don't like the person you're assigned to, you can request a new one; no questions asked.

if you or someone you know is struggling, it may be worth looking into.