The Dino-Aspie Cafe (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 4 of 247 [ 3937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 247  Next

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:30 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Scoot, both of ya ! ! Elder Aspies only ! ! Yew kids are always sneaking into our threads ! !! !

:( Still - I'm counting down the days - 212 to go if my maths is right ... !

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2007, 10:02 am

well, at 41 i reckon i qualify...

not that i WANT to qualify. oh well.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 10:19 am

I understand completly!
I dislike being controversial, as someone is always pointing out something in my argument I had not considered. I really don't like 'feeling' their adrinaline surge when they feel they have to defend their position. However
I have a co worker that got me wound up about excusing myself after I burp. Now I am not talking about a belch, but just a burp. She went nuts. . .her perrogitive, I suppose, and I felt like a unsophisticated backwoods. Later I noticed she yawned and streched and made that yawning noise untrammeled by excuse mes or curbed by politeness.
So the other day I burped again, and she gave me the EYE and then I watched her as the rest of the day she was excusing her sneezes and her coughs and, well, instead of being caught up in her personal drama, I just watched her tear herself up trying to show me how superior her manners are to mine.

how other people feel about me is not my business.
Merle

konyannah
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2007, 2:09 pm

I'm very nearly 45

terminally single

losing hair rapidly

life is good

damocles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2007, 4:05 pm

damocles here, I just joined, found your sight and well I want to go to McAspies also!! I'm 45, my digs sound much like the gentleman in Florida.( BTW Hi Mr.Mark.) I'm perpetually single, have a dog... they are much easier to understand than a girl-friend... his name is Rufus(latin for red, which is my nickname) he is laying beside me 'chasing rabits'. Recently DX'ed I must say this is the most relaxed I've felt in a long time. I understand kpupg's statement about always looking for the exit and the bad "person" label( BTW hi kpupg). The woods around my home were always my friend, dark quite places always had an appeal as well. Wrong Planet is more than just a website, it is where I've been for the last 45 years. Thank you for doing this.
damocles

lau
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 7:25 pm

Somewhere back in the dim distant past (a fortnight ago), before I really started to post, I saw this thread, but couldn't quite bring myself to contribute. Now, I'm boring the appendages off everyone. So it goes.

Anyway, 58 here (although I've been calling myself 59 recently - is that senility, or living in the future?).

Suggested as AS March last year, self diagnosed withing a month, officially last December.

I guess this is about the first birthday of my having heard the magic words - AS.

According to my parents, I was reading the newspapers at age three. I have an interesting excuse for my awful handwriting - I had developed flowing copperplate script writing before going to Junior school, where they forced me to go back to writing in CAPITALS. So it goes.

What else... never had any problems flying through the educational system and computer programming as a career. Had one pretty successful relationship way back when, but have never quite managed another (so far).

Have vaguely burnt out at the moment, which is how I got to find out about (my) AS.

On an upbeat note to my current "burnt out" state, I think of it more as a "Roman Candle" firework. One fireball has just fizzled out. I can hear the hissing building up, just prior to another spectacular fireball exploding up and out.

----------

Oh! And I take my coffee white, no sugar.
Instant is fine.
Mind you, I'd have a Greek coffee if there was one going... still no sugar. But I'd love a piece of Baklava...

DogDancer
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2007, 8:36 pm

Greetings, ElderStatesAspies! (Moux, Inventor, Moux!)

OKAY...I'll 'fess up. Turned 40 in September. Would like to think I still pass as a "sweet young thing,' though, so don't disabuse me of my delusions. :lol:

Was no Dx back then. Was just the scary smart girl who was a little too pretty to totally fit in with the nerds. And a little (okay, LOTS) too nerdy to hang regularly with the cool kids. Knew everyone, but was alone lots. Was respected generally, but isolated. The crew just knew I wasn't like them.

Always knew I wasn't like them, too. Only NOW -- after coming to WP because I care deeply about a male Aspie (see Adult AS Issues Forum, In Love w/ Aspie thread) -- do I realize how very likely it is that I am NOT borderline NT like I initially thought, but rather...a TOTAL ASPIE, who learned, through long and hard toiling, to wear a pretty damn convincing NT mask. Still takes a toll on me though.... Need lots of alone time to recharge. Sounds familiar, yes?

It's good to know that you CAN come home -- once you know what PLANET you're from! :-)

DD

DogDancer
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2007, 8:40 pm

P.S. Five dogs, one cat -- the fewest no. 'o pets in years. :-)

DD

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:05 pm

Welcome, welcome! :D

Have a cup of java. As suggested, I contacted the suppliers at McAspies and requested Greek coffee, one of my favorites, too. Please return the newspaper with the sections in order, folded and nicely creased, for the next person to read. Free baklava! Yummmm...

damocles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2007, 9:11 pm

I cut out the calvin and hobbes cartoon from the paper for my fridge.
damocles

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:14 pm

:( (Pssst...That is highly frowned upon in these parts).

damocles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2007, 10:03 pm

I'll sneak back in tonight and tape it up....no one will ever know!!
damocles

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 10:17 pm

:D Thanks! There will be a plate of biscuits by the fridge; help yourself.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Feb 2007, 10:20 pm

I'm 56, self-diagnosed, on a long long long waiting list for Dx.

I owe it to WP that I know who I am and what I am. Life was awful until then. I was diagnosed with everything. My family laughed at me when they weren't angry. I grew up knowing two things: Conform or die! Also get a job. I couldn't do either for very long.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 9:21 am

Hands the Yowler those long wooden slitted dowels to slide the newspapers into and knocks together a wooden hanger by the Muffin Rack.

in this world of froth and bubble
two things stand like stone;
kindness in another's trouble
courage in your own

lau
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 11:15 am

Thanks for putting the C&H cartoon back. I laughed 'til I cried. Not at the cartoon, but at its provenance.

BTW When does the floor show start?

(BTW = "By The Way"... hardly much of an abbreviation at all, so why do we bother forcing people not "in the know" to have to go away an look it up? AGIDC I think I'll stop using them. And yes, I made it up, after giving it due consideration, or did I?)