Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2014, 10:13 pm

I have a plumber coming to my house tomorrow to see what we can do about replacing my heating system. It was old and I knew this was going to happen and I'm hoping I can get the same type of heating system. It will be much easier to put something in the existing space than have to reroute the gas/exhaust pipes, but there's a question of state rules and regulations, which I won't get into now.

I also need to see what he'd charge me to do some much-needed work in my bathroom and on the plumbing/sink in my kitchen.

My question is this: how much information is too much information when the question of money comes up? How can I put it to him when he asks me what I have to spend?

If I can name a figure, he might try to have me spend the maximum or more. Should I just say, "give me estimates first"? One just for the heater work, then another estimate for the bathroom and kitchen plumbing work (which doesn't have to be done ASAP)?

I'm not used to dealing with things like this and people can be very forceful and since I usually give too much information with everything, it will be very easy to trip me up into talking too much. Is there a script I could stick to, to stop this from happening?

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 10:22 pm

Tell him you want an estimate broken down by each part of the job, heater, etc. And you want it in writing. You are under absolutely no obligation to tell him in advance what you have to spend to get the work done. Tell him you want to know what it costs to get the repairs done, and if there are options about how to do it, you want prices that reflect each option. If you don't feel good about him, don't hesitate to get someone else.

Once he gives you a price, if it is too high for your budget, get another estimate. Not a bad idea anyway. Have a signed contract for the work, unless this is someone you have very good info on from others over a long time, and even then, it is good to put things in writing to avoid later disputes. A reliable person will not be upset about you asking for this.

The only time you might tell a contractor up-front about how much you have to spend is if you are remodeling your house for aesthetic reasons or something. Then you might want to say, "Well, I have this much to spend. Tell me what you could do for that amount."

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 2:37 am

My suggestion: once the person gives you an estimate, tell him thank you, that you have to shop around for the best price as we all do. Sometimes, this can elicit even a better price if the person knows he is in competition for the job.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 5:09 am

Have you thought about doing some of the work yourself? The kitchen and bathroom work, perhaps? The heating system, yes, probably requires a professional but just working on a sink or tub, or even a WC is pretty straightforward. There are plenty of DIY videos and tutorial all ova the internet. I pretty much do all repairs myself, and have learned quite a bit in the process.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

04 Aug 2014, 7:50 am

It is in your best interest to find the best deal. When you find it, if you like something else better, call that person, and give him your previous estimate from your best deal. That way you get the best of both. Khaoz is right too. if can do it yourself, or get friends to help it is the way to go. I bought a house cheap that needed alot if work. I did everything myself. Now it is the way I want it. When you get work done on a house, most of the price is in the labor unless you get alot of expensive fancy stuff. The house I bought was a high dollar labor fix, and low cost in materials. Forced air furnaces are a good chunk of change, but most of the price is in the furnace, and not the labor. It is important to get a good high efficiency one. You get what you pay for. If you get a price on a funace, look it up online, and see if they are gouging you for it. They may tell you that they need to install a new pipe in your chimney too. Most new ones do.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2014, 4:18 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and input. I'd like to do some of the work myself, but I'm not all that handy. I can do painting and stuff like that, but plumbing is beyond me. Besides, I live in MA and I'm sure they have 1001 regulations. Same with the heater. It's gas and it's illegal to install anything unless you're a licensed plumber. The plumber's already mentioned on the phone that there are many MA rules and regulations, so I'm afraid what should be a fairly uncomplicated process will be made complicated and I might not be allowed to replace the old system with the same type of system (forced hot air in-floor unit). Anything else would mean rerouting pipes and drilling in floors maybe or going up into walls, etc. Driving up time, cost and inconvenience.

This guy comes recommended by a few people I know. So I'll see what he has to say.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 4:37 pm

What they do not know cannot hurt you. Unless of course you screw something up really bad. They usually cannot prove that work was even done let alone by a professional. Sometimes when an inspector comes in you gat nailed bad enough to sell the farm. I do not trust those people. I put all new pex piping in my house, and no one could be the wiser :wink: . Fixed some old drain pipes too. And a new toilet and flange in my basement because there was no flange. Too old. Other stuff too.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 10:32 pm

OnPorpoise I hope you got a quote in writing and the work went well?

yournamehere, how did you get the pex to go where it had to go? I want to put pex from the water heater to the sink & dishwasher, but the crawl space is only 12"! I was thinking of abandoning the big hot water heater and instead getting 2 of those hot water on demand things.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 7:15 am

alpineglow wrote:
OnPorpoise I hope you got a quote in writing and the work went well?

yournamehere, how did you get the pex to go where it had to go? I want to put pex from the water heater to the sink & dishwasher, but the crawl space is only 12"! I was thinking of abandoning the big hot water heater and instead getting 2 of those hot water on demand things.

Never heard of a 12" crawl space. Im not a licensed plumber or anything, but maybe you could dig a trench for yourself, or tear up the floor. Getting the old pipe out should be just as fun. Maby you can fish it through somehow, I dont know. Those on demand heaters work well. If you get a large enough one, you shouldn't need 2. You will need to re-plumb a bunch of stuff though. The inlet, outlet are in different locations, and they mount differently. I want one.

Pex is very versatile. You can bend it, and use alot less fittings and elbows. Which means better flow. It can also expand over three times it's normal size without breaking. It is reletively impervious to freezing. I have seen some peoples connections leak because of poor installations of the crush rings, thats about it.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 10:09 pm

Thanks yournamehere. I'll have to ask around for a good plumber to put the pex in, as digging a trench and tearing up the floor are not going to be practical. Crawl space is so small I guess because the house is 99 years old. Where the kitchen is, I'm thinking, is where the old screen porch used to be. This winter will be a learning experience. :)

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 6:56 pm

For what little I can say, you're welcome. If I was me, which I am, I would use fish tape, and a rare earth magnet on a pole to grab it on the floor, and pull it through. I would leave the old pipe alone. You would not be able to use hangers under the floor, but I do not think it would be much of a bother unless a groundhog chewes on it, or the ground freezes.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.