Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 9:25 am

I'd never heard of this before or seen it discussed on WP. I've spent the last two days mentally evaluating myself, my family and our relationships as they relate to this new (to me) information and expect this will consume much of my free time. Needless to say I see many parallels to my life and family situation as regards to spouse, children and parents.

I've gone through a number of emotional states because of this and expect for this to continue for a while, but then I admit, at times, to over dramatize, so please judge for yourself.

I'll be sharing this with family near Easter. I hope this is the right thing to do.

I hope everyone has a chance to Google this information and visit the site, and evaluate this information for themselves. I decided to post here as it (I feel) especially applies to the older adult aspie....perhaps something should b posted in a more "general" forum as well?

Ideas?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 9:57 am

There have been threads about this. Try searching "cassandra" on WP.

But maybe it would be better if you said a little more about what you are feeling?

How did reading that stuff strike you? What are you thinking about now?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 2:30 pm

Adamantium wrote:
There have been threads about this. Try searching "cassandra" on WP.

But maybe it would be better if you said a little more about what you are feeling?

How did reading that stuff strike you? What are you thinking about now?

So you recognize the CP...Cassandra Phenomenon from other discussions?

But what of the OTRS...the Ongoing Traumatic Relationship Syndrome effect on your family members? Do you see this as a valid phenomenon in YOUR family? Have you followed the web address I provided? Have you followed the links FAAAS.org provides? It's possible you don't relate to this post because you may not have seen the results of OTRS come to fruition in your family yet, or evaluated yourself and your upbringing in relation to this information.

I believe many "late diagnosed" older people, such as myself, have suspected as much or at least deduced parts of the Syndrome; but this provides clarification and specific help for family members. You must have noticed the many posts here from spouses who are unable to relate to or understand the actions/thinking of their spouse. So many people have posted to say they suspect a close family member was "on the spectrum" but this may provide another, more comprehensive, answer.

I'm not ignoring your questions, I just don't want this post to be about "me" but instead to provide a tool for understanding (and possible help) for others. I'd like to see others make up their own minds without undue influence from me.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 3:16 pm

It's traumatic to live with someone who seemingly does not try to understand. Reading the threads on WP one sees all kinds of evidence of empathy, and understanding, as well as over reading (and failing to read) into what's written.

They state that it's traumatic to have a family member on the spectrum and neglect the trauma the spectrumite experiences in the world. I think that trauma to the spectrumite may be the thing which impairs his ability to relate, rather than just the AS. That's not to negate that AS has an affect, of course it does. But having AS does not prevent ongoing caring which is what they seem to me to suggest, though granted I can only stomach superficial rereading of their pages. I've read some stuff there in the past though.

The thing that's most frustrating to me about their views, though, is they seem focused on males being on the spectrum and hurting others. Interestingly, when women are on the spectrum, they often experience exactly what NT women supposedly experience in relationships with AS men. The inconsistency frustrates me.....how is it a neurological issue so detrimental in relationships......suddenly reverses if it's the woman who has AS? I'm not sure what people think happens when it's just the female partner with AS, perhaps the male partner has a similar experience. Doesn't help bring together how if both partners have AS, or just the male, the woman's experience is the same, yet it's AS that's the villain.

I don't like inconsistencies :x

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 4:02 pm

ZenDen wrote:
But what of the OTRS...the Ongoing Traumatic Relationship Syndrome effect on your family members? Do you see this as a valid phenomenon in YOUR family?

No. Nor is the "Cassandra" syndrome.

There are probably some real issues there, particularly for some partners of people with some expressions of autism. But what I see in FAAS and the Australian site that has stuff about this is incorrect. There are sweeping generalizations and statements that amount to out and out bigotry.

I am sorry these people have had bad relationships, but I think what they are doing in ascribing every negative aspect of those relationships to autism is wrong.

The sweeping generalizations are exemplified here:
http://www.theneurotypical.com/the_bottom_line.html

I feel these people are seeking to pathologize me and my family in ways that are unhelpful to us or them and I wish they would stop.

[edited to clarify a bad quote edit!]

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 4:15 pm

I agree. Although the tone seems on the surface inclusive, I find them to be filled with prejudices that negate any potential value. Not least being the inaccurate and offensive idea that Aspies are incapable of learning to modify behavior which is distressing to others.

I feel I am less than a person when I read things there, and I would not want my daughter with AS to read and believe most of what they say.

If the site is valuable to you, OP, I am glad. But I do not think it offers much to family members upset about their relative that is realistic and hopeful besides someone to commiserate with that they are suffering. If they benefit that's great. I stay away.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 8:55 am

Waterfalls wrote:
It's traumatic to live with someone who seemingly does not try to understand. Reading the threads on WP one sees all kinds of evidence of empathy, and understanding, as well as over reading (and failing to read) into what's written.

They state that it's traumatic to have a family member on the spectrum and neglect the trauma the spectrumite experiences in the world. I think that trauma to the spectrumite may be the thing which impairs his ability to relate, rather than just the AS. That's not to negate that AS has an affect, of course it does. But having AS does not prevent ongoing caring which is what they seem to me to suggest, though granted I can only stomach superficial rereading of their pages. I've read some stuff there in the past though.

The thing that's most frustrating to me about their views, though, is they seem focused on males being on the spectrum and hurting others. Interestingly, when women are on the spectrum, they often experience exactly what NT women supposedly experience in relationships with AS men. The inconsistency frustrates me.....how is it a neurological issue so detrimental in relationships......suddenly reverses if it's the woman who has AS? I'm not sure what people think happens when it's just the female partner with AS, perhaps the male partner has a similar experience. Doesn't help bring together how if both partners have AS, or just the male, the woman's experience is the same, yet it's AS that's the villain.

I don't like inconsistencies :x

I also abhor inconsistencies but realize they sometimes do exist, especially because of different "gender roles." I don't know enough AS women to make an intelligent statement but I am keeping an open mind. Thanks.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 9:18 am

Adamantium wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
But what of the OTRS...the Ongoing Traumatic Relationship Syndrome effect on your family members? Do you see this as a valid phenomenon in YOUR family?

No. Nor is the "Cassandra" syndrome.

There are probably some real issues there, particularly for some partners of people with some expressions of autism. But what I see in FAAS and the Australian site that has stuff about this is incorrect. There are sweeping generalizations and statements that amount to out and out bigotry.

I am sorry these people have had bad relationships, but I think what they are doing in ascribing every negative aspect of those relationships to autism is wrong.

The sweeping generalizations are exemplified here:
http://www.theneurotypical.com/the_bottom_line.html

I feel these people are seeking to pathologize me and my family in ways that are unhelpful to us or them and I wish they would stop.

[edited to clarify a bad quote edit!]

Thanks for your input Adamantium; I've always admired your calm reasoned input in other matters. You say you don't notice any OTRS in your family, or of the Cassandra Phenomenon. I, on the other hand, have reviewed in detail my almost 53 year married life and can say definitely I can recall much evidence of OTRS effects on our "social" life, or lack of it. But alternately I see no evidence of the CP , in the classic sense, but feel this may be due to some "enabling" on the part of my spouse (every spouse is different, I'm sure you realize).

I'm sure you also realize a diagnosis for one person/family relationship will NEVER match exactly the diagnosis for another family relationship....way too many variables. I think one must closely study this to see which parts are valid for their own family situation. This is a major why I posted in the ADULT section and not General forum: The ability of the mature AS member to use their greater knowledge to evaluate how this may apply to themselves.

Perhaps if you are extremely sensitive to this issue/information you might think about it for a while? I've been evaluating/re-evaluating myself and my family, more intensely, for about 3 years now (since I diagnosed at age 69) although I have had questions building up in my mind for many many many years (especially since I retired about 10 years ago).

I know everyone will gain from your valuable input. :)

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 9:44 am

Waterfalls wrote:
I agree. Although the tone seems on the surface inclusive, I find them to be filled with prejudices that negate any potential value. Not least being the inaccurate and offensive idea that Aspies are incapable of learning to modify behavior which is distressing to others.

I feel I am less than a person when I read things there, and I would not want my daughter with AS to read and believe most of what they say.

If the site is valuable to you, OP, I am glad. But I do not think it offers much to family members upset about their relative that is realistic and hopeful besides someone to commiserate with that they are suffering. If they benefit that's great. I stay away.

What a great post. It really helps me clarify and modify my thoughts on the subject.

The prejudices you mention are, I believe, their viewpoint from viewing the most needed/destructive relationships in order to modify these the most.....again every diagnosis is not correct for every person or family situation. And I agree with your contention Aspies can modify their own behavior, but with the HUGE caveat that across the entire AS spectrum that there are many who can/do not; I believe these would be most helped by this information.

You say: "I feel I am less than a person when I read things there..." but alternately I feel I am a "different" person, not less because it may make me feel I may not match my "idealized" previous view of myself; I try to get "over" that.

And you say something that really "rings a bell" with me: "and I would not want my daughter with AS to read and believe most of what they say." I'm not sure exactly why you say this but even though our situations are different (my son and daughter closely approaching 50 years of age) this has caused me to reevaluate the cost/benefit ratio of this information to them (and the appropriateness of disclosure); I'm still doing so...also in relation to my spouse....I'd like to personally thank you for your insight.

Every person and family relationship is different and may benefit more or less from this information. Again the reason I posted this in the ADULT forum was so those with "long range" and mature family experience could benefit from the content, certainly everyone is more different than we can imagine.

This information "is what it is" and should be approached as any other tool toward understanding. My "take" on my family relationship, at this time, is about 75% fit vs. 25% not. YMMV

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 2:51 pm

Yes, keep in mind what works for you may not for family who've found ways (hopefully) to adjust to and appreciate you as you are.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 7:52 am

Waterfalls wrote:
Yes, keep in mind what works for you may not for family who've found ways (hopefully) to adjust to and appreciate you as you are.

Thank you. I wish I were as perceptive as you but fear my self induced isolation at an early age somehow gets in the way.

My original idea was to provide insight to my adult children for their personal clarification of their own lives (I believe my wife has mostly "sussed" this out) but didn't think enough about the ramifications (it's all about gathering information...not about people..right? :( ). But your perception still has me rethinking this issue...and my approach. I hope I don't screw it up. I can't say "Thank you" enough. :D

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 8:53 am

I'm not sure what I did, but you're welcome.

Is your wife or are any of your kids on the spectrum?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 9:41 am

You're expressing your true experiences, and not some "line."

I think Zen appreciates that.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 11:22 am

My family is not neurotypical, so the kind of stark US/THEM dichotomy depicted on the FAAS and Neurotypical sites isn't applicable.

There are traits all through my family and my wife's family that make the ideas expressed on those sites less than meaningful or helpful to us.

My wife is NT, in that she is not autistic, but she is part of the neurodiverse community in that she has traits of other non-NT neurological patterns that run in her family. From the perspective of the social/emotional communication issues at the core of autism, she is NT.

Given this complicated reality, it's impossible to draw the kind of simplistic, black & white picture described by the proponents of the OTRS concept. I am sure that at times my traits have been a pain in the ass for my wife to deal with, but I have also helped her deal with things in life that I can do and she can't. I think we are complimentary and I find statements like "You will be a caregiver only" directed at the NT partner in an NT-AS relationship both untrue and unhelpful.

I take care of my family.

As the sole "breadwinner," I support them financially. In a stereotypically male way, I fix stuff around the house: I replaced the old electric outlets with new grounded receptacles when we moved into this house. I do the carpentry when something is failing. I snake the drain and I know which teflon tape to use to install a new gas appliance (I have installed a stovetop, an oven and a two gas dryers since we moved here). I do homework with the kids because they like the way I explain things.

But I also tell my kids I love them. I hug them, give them first aid, calm them down when they are feaked out and help them to laugh when life seems like too much.

I talk through my wife's emotional states with her. I cook special meals for her and give her massages. I try to take care of her emotional well being.

My family loves me and I love them.

I know that there are times when I don't recognize an emotional need or state and something needs to be spelled out for me. I am sure it is sometimes disappointing when I fail to be telepathic in that way, but I try to compensate for that by asking how they are feeling. Once I do understand their inner states, I do everything I can to help, to let them know how much I care and to make them feel better or celebrate their successes and joys with them.

I have seen plenty of NT husbands and fathers who I think are, frankly, much worse in both roles than I am. Since those men apparently have an easier time reading and understanding the emotional states of their families, I can only guess that this means they are really nasty, selfish people who see the hurt they do to their families and just don't care.

What I see in the Cassandra and OTRS pages doesn't look like my family at all.

My wife, like me, sometimes suffers from depression. If I had not known her since we were both in high school, I might be tempted to take the blame for that, but the reality is that depression runs in her family. I helped bring her out of a bad episode when we were both young adults. Our lives together over the last three decades are so intertwined that I don't know how one could describe either of us without in some way noting the influence of the other and importance of the relationship. Could I try to pick apart the worst parts of her life and find ways that I have been less than perfect? Sure. I don't see how it could be any other way. But does that mean "the autism did it?" I don't think so.

I don't think FAAS has anything to offer us. When I found out about my autism, I found the FAAS website and I gave my wife the link, but she took a look and wasn't interested in what they had.

So I am not going to put a lot of time or energy into worrying about OTRS. I want to focus on helping my wife to be as happy as she can be for the rest of our lives together and I want to help my kids to be happy and to grow into happy and free adults. That's where my focus is. I don't see support for our goals as a family at FAAS and I don't see that the idea of OTRS is going to help us in any way.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 12:13 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
I'm not sure what I did, but you're welcome.

Is your wife or are any of your kids on the spectrum?

What you did was evaluate your relationship with your siblings in a more personal (and less mechanistic) way than myself...I fail at this often. This allows me time to reevaluate my idea of bluntly informing them of this new (to me) information....almost makes me feel a more/better person. Thank you so much.

My wife, before we were married, had a circle of friends....afterward, not so, nor did she express a need in the many years since. Was this affected by my AS?

When I view and study my children's social life through the years I realize I had little to offer them in the way of socialization experience or suggestion. Has this effected their growth? I'm sure it has.

This has taken me much introspection and I'm sure will account for more.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

Adamantium wrote:
My family is not neurotypical, so the kind of stark US/THEM dichotomy depicted on the FAAS and Neurotypical sites isn't applicable.

There are traits all through my family and my wife's family that make the ideas expressed on those sites less than meaningful or helpful to us.

My wife is NT, in that she is not autistic, but she is part of the neurodiverse community in that she has traits of other non-NT neurological patterns that run in her family. From the perspective of the social/emotional communication issues at the core of autism, she is NT.

Given this complicated reality, it's impossible to draw the kind of simplistic, black & white picture described by the proponents of the OTRS concept. I am sure that at times my traits have been a pain in the ass for my wife to deal with, but I have also helped her deal with things in life that I can do and she can't. I think we are complimentary and I find statements like "You will be a caregiver only" directed at the NT partner in an NT-AS relationship both untrue and unhelpful.

I take care of my family.

As the sole "breadwinner," I support them financially. In a stereotypically male way, I fix stuff around the house: I replaced the old electric outlets with new grounded receptacles when we moved into this house. I do the carpentry when something is failing. I snake the drain and I know which teflon tape to use to install a new gas appliance (I have installed a stovetop, an oven and a two gas dryers since we moved here). I do homework with the kids because they like the way I explain things.

But I also tell my kids I love them. I hug them, give them first aid, calm them down when they are feaked out and help them to laugh when life seems like too much.

I talk through my wife's emotional states with her. I cook special meals for her and give her massages. I try to take care of her emotional well being.

My family loves me and I love them.

I know that there are times when I don't recognize an emotional need or state and something needs to be spelled out for me. I am sure it is sometimes disappointing when I fail to be telepathic in that way, but I try to compensate for that by asking how they are feeling. Once I do understand their inner states, I do everything I can to help, to let them know how much I care and to make them feel better or celebrate their successes and joys with them.

I have seen plenty of NT husbands and fathers who I think are, frankly, much worse in both roles than I am. Since those men apparently have an easier time reading and understanding the emotional states of their families, I can only guess that this means they are really nasty, selfish people who see the hurt they do to their families and just don't care.

What I see in the Cassandra and OTRS pages doesn't look like my family at all.

My wife, like me, sometimes suffers from depression. If I had not known her since we were both in high school, I might be tempted to take the blame for that, but the reality is that depression runs in her family. I helped bring her out of a bad episode when we were both young adults. Our lives together over the last three decades are so intertwined that I don't know how one could describe either of us without in some way noting the influence of the other and importance of the relationship. Could I try to pick apart the worst parts of her life and find ways that I have been less than perfect? Sure. I don't see how it could be any other way. But does that mean "the autism did it?" I don't think so.

I don't think FAAS has anything to offer us. When I found out about my autism, I found the FAAS website and I gave my wife the link, but she took a look and wasn't interested in what they had.

So I am not going to put a lot of time or energy into worrying about OTRS. I want to focus on helping my wife to be as happy as she can be for the rest of our lives together and I want to help my kids to be happy and to grow into happy and free adults. That's where my focus is. I don't see support for our goals as a family at FAAS and I don't see that the idea of OTRS is going to help us in any way.

You say:
"I know that there are times when I don't recognize an emotional need or state and something needs to be spelled out for me. I am sure it is sometimes disappointing when I fail to be telepathic in that way, but I try to compensate for that by asking how they are feeling. Once I do understand their inner states, I do everything I can to help, to let them know how much I care and to make them feel better or celebrate their successes and joys with them."

Do you feel this non recognition (and the times you failed to recognize your non recognition failures) had any effect on your family's growth?

And you say"
"Our lives together over the last three decades are so intertwined that I don't know how one could describe either of us without in some way noting the influence of the other and importance of the relationship. Could I try to pick apart the worst parts of her life and find ways that I have been less than perfect? Sure. I don't see how it could be any other way. But does that mean "the autism did it?" I don't think so."

Autism/AS didn't "do" it? Without having lived an NT life how are we to know with 100% certainty?

I don't think the main purpose of FAAAS is to help the AS person especially, but instead to offer the younger members of the family a different view/perspective of their earlier life growing up, and how it may have been modified by growing up in a family with an AS parent. My family is about 20 years older than yours so I believe my children may have more experience and maturity when viewing such matters (this may also make me 20 years more over confident, perhaps overly so...Thanks Waterfalls :D ).

Just a thought.