Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:29 pm

Hi-

I am one of the ones who did not get DX's till my kid started to show trouble.

If you have it and your kid has it, please respond.

I am terrified that my child will go through what I did. She is 8 and showing symptoms earlier than I did. Thankfully she is very social. I am isolated. But I was social at her age, too.

If you have this and your child has this, what precautions are you taking? Are you telling them? Have you been able to help them? Are you both in treatment or just one of you?

I am in treatment, she is in treatment only for speech.

Please respond. This is not easy.
Thank you.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 2:34 pm

Aspie here (well, technically there's some question, as I didn't speak until very late, but I'd had a lot of ear infections and a deaf mother, so we don't know if the speech thing was a cause or effect of....)

My kid is definitely aspie. I clue her in as to what it means. Why some of her "personality quirks" are what they are. How things happened to me, and how I got around them (or got plowed over by them). I definitely make sure she knows it's just an explanation, not a curse or a life-sentence.

Good luck!

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2008, 3:58 pm

Don't panic. That is the first thing.

Don't worry about what your child will or won't go through. Preparation, and teaching life skills is what a parent should do for all kids, aspie or not.

I'm aspie and my youngest son (age 8) is too. Have I told him? Not yet. He was diagnosed as ADD two years ago, and knows that...but I'm going to wait on the aspie part, yet.

There is nothing wrong with telling them, but it's really neither here nor there. Its just a name for what they are. If you reassure them that what they experience is normal, and everyone is different, so Susie down the road may not get what you are talking about, but Brian might...that helps.

My son understands that there are types of people, and he and I are a different sort than most.

I teach him behaviour strategies. I help him to understand his Sensory Integration problems, and how to cope.

The best thing that could be is already happening. Your child HAS you. I don't know about you...but I didnt' have anyone to validate what I experienced.

We may have had a terrible time with things...but you are the guide for your child. It isn't like it used to be. And remember you can advocate for your child at school.

PM me if you want...your child is very lucky!