I stood up for someone on youtube who may have autism and...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2009, 10:56 pm

I'm wondering why people with autism are being treated as some negative defect to get rid of yet those who say things like "I want to slit his throat" in reference to Evan O'Dorney who may or may not have autism are not the ones being evaluated. Why is this deemed acceptable? If normality is by definition "conformity" then does that mean that conformists are just merely conforming to the standards of bullies and questionable sociopathic behavior?

If you want to see what I'm talking about, read the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4hLS01uscY

So I am getting private messages now for standing up for the kid from someone:

First message reads in subject "I like you"

then it goes onto say this

Random Jerk- Ha I find it funny that I care how I spell over, what is it called? YOUTUBE. Does it matter that I spelled something wrong and that you used correct grammer for this comment so I won't mock you. I already know that your hoping for " I R UB3R L33T BETTER" or something. Too bad for you.

My response- Thank you for spelling better.

I wasn't hoping for anything nor am I jumping up and down for joy that you sent a message.

Random Jerk- Way to be a dick

My response- I'm female.

Random Jerk- HA there are no women on the internet.
TITS OR GTFO

Ended up blocking him.

So after reading all the comments and getting this jerk sending me private messages, I am questioning who is defining the norm now because if this is the norm, I'm thankful to not be apart of it.

Last edited by kittenmeow on 19 Jan 2009, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

18 Jan 2009, 11:05 pm

I don't understand how people can pick on a innocent person. I know they are afraid of things they don't understand.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 11:13 pm

i don't understand why people can pick on an innocent person either.

there are some real jerks out there.

Bodhi
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2009, 11:16 pm

"The word 'Scombridae' is now lodged into my brain forever." - win comment

As for the rest of the comments. They're pretty sad, but it's obvious that most of the comments are coming from people who don't understand autism very well.

Regarding the message that guy sent you, he sounds like your typical 4channer. A running joke on 4chan is that "there are no girlz on teh internetz." It's actually a tad complex (for those who truly understand 4chan) in that it shouldn't matter to you if an internet user is male or female, because we're all anonymous anyway. There's just no point in a woman making herself known as a woman on the internet unless it matters. Thus, the typical response is "TITS OR GTFO"

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 11:45 pm

kittenmeow wrote:
I'm wondering why people with autism are being treated as some negative defect to get rid of yet those who say things like "I want to slit his throat" in reference to Evan O'Dorney who may or may not have autism are not the ones being evaluated. Why is this deemed acceptable? If normality is by definition "conformity" then does that mean that conformists are just merely conforming to the standards of bullies and questionable sociopathic behavior?

If you want to see what I'm talking about, read the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4hLS01uscY

So I am getting private messages now for standing up for the kid from someone:

First message reads in subject "I like you"

then it goes onto say this

Random Jerk- Ha I find it funny that I care how I spell over, what is it called? YOUTUBE. Does it matter that I spelled something wrong and that you used correct grammer for this comment so I won't mock you. I already know that your hoping for " I R UB3R L33T BETTER" or something. Too bad for you.

My response- Thank you for spelling better.

I wasn't hoping for anything nor am I jumping up and down for joy that you sent a message.

Random Jerk- Way to be a dick

My response- I'm female.

Random Jerk- HA there are no women on the internet.
TITS OR GTFO

Ended up blocking him.

So after reading all the comments and getting this jerk sending me private messages, I am questioning who is defining the norm now because if this is the norm, I'm thankful to not be apart of it.

"America has turned into dumbed down nation where people complain about the education but champion the rights of bullies such as yourself who think you are special for being able to use the word idiot and classify that as being good social skills.

Maybe what really happened is, all the dumb people hijacked social etiquette making it more difficult for those who want to speak proper english to figure out your hinty BS.

Kittenmeow

I am an American myself and I hate myself for even speaking these words but if this is you then you're correct. The people here are arrogant, haughty, full of themselves, believes in style over substance, and they hate foreigners with a passion. KittenMeow, I am disgusted at this.

KittenMeow, Americans hate foreigners here with a passion. People here know nothing of other people's cultures, values, and customs and do not care too. People here think we are the best country in the world. In fact, we have plenty of big mouths who say our military can win a war against the whole world at the same time. We have learned nothing from history.

People here make fun of the way foreigners speak and things like their teeth being messed up when in fact it's a different culture.

People here call canadians dumb and slow when really they're just thorough

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2009, 1:51 am

OMG. The comments people left for that kid, are f-ing INSANE. I thought the news anchor was mocking him and being crappy about his talent, but I didn't think it would launch the hideous trail of idiotic insults that ensues the video. G WHIZ.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 3:33 am

Hate to burst your bubble, but that kid doesn't have Asperger's and he isn't autistic. His parents say he isn't on the spectrum.

How do a lot of you folk diagnose this kid with a form of autism based on this interview?

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 8:51 pm

I've learned that it's best to ignore the comments on YouTube. No matter what the video, the comments are always ignorant, profane, bigoted, etc.

@ kittenmeow: There's an old saying: "Don't wrestle with a pig -- you just get dirty and the pig likes it." In other words, don't waste your time trying to argue with these jerks. They'll just ridicule you in turn. You won't convince them to behave themselves. They're not worth wasting your time on them.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 11:35 pm

you tube seriously needs moderators...

:/

uh, that is, moderators who care less about copyright infringements than they do about human dignity :roll:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 9:16 am

This is one of the reasons I dread youtube or even want to be on them......

I mean, they're full of THEM.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 12:41 pm

Youtube comments just illuminates what wretched creatures humans are when you remove accountability. These people waste the air they breathe.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 1:56 pm

Upsetting.

This is why when they practiced lobotomies Freeman went into the poorest of the poor. The poor mental hospitals for African Americans and women and children.

People hate weakness and always have. Humans are a bad race!

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 9:25 pm

It was really upsetting to take part of this thread and mostly to see all the comments of that video. Poor kid. His mother was probably very proud of him but if she saw all these over SEVEN thousands of negative very hard bullying comments towards his son, she would probably break her heart.... :(
I love YouTube very much and are used to people sometimes beeing very harsh in their comments but this is overall the worst example I have ever seen there. Its scary to see so many people give so extreme negative words in such a hard way. Very sad.....in one way its somehow more sorry for these people who give comments like this rather than the boy. Its hard to think that they can feel love and respect towards other people at all.....

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 9:06 am

ZEGH8578 wrote:
you tube seriously needs moderators...

:/

uh, that is, moderators who care less about copyright infringements than they do about human dignity :roll:

YouTube leaves the responsibility of moderating comments to the people who upload the videos. I made and posted a video about how users can moderate the comments on their own videos.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJLZSizyVk[/youtube]

YouTube can't go around moderating ALL the comments on ALL the videos. That's why the responsibility is left up to the uploaders of the videos themselves.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 2:37 am

Ironically, the posters are making themselves look unintelligent through their repeated comments about mental retardation. If any of them had even read a single article on mental retardation, they would understand the true meaning. It seems like today's definition of "ret*d" isn't based on a lack of raw intelligence but rather the failure to conform to social norms. :roll:

Undeniable
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jun 2009, 3:45 pm

Youtube seems to just attract complete idiots somehow. Other website's like Flickr.com never have such nasty comments.