Autism Speaks Seeks to develop prenatal abortion tests?

Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 2:05 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
That's impossible, they have not found an autism gene or anything that indicates autism in a fetus.......so there is no way to test for it so that the parent can abort the fetus for that reason. So Autism Speaks is delusional if they think they can provide such a test.

Neither the government or Autism speaks has suggested that they will provide a definitive prenatal genetic test, it is a goal to provide helpful intervention, and they are just supporting research that might eventually lead to one.

I personally doubt it, but along the way with the research they may find environmental factors that can be controlled better to reduce the risk of more severely disabling symptoms.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 2:39 pm

aghogday wrote:
Neither the government or Autism speaks has suggested that they will provide a definitive prenatal genetic test, it is a goal to provide helpful intervention, and they are just supporting research that might eventually lead to one.

I personally doubt it, but along the way with the research they may find environmental factors that can be controlled better to reduce the risk of more severely disabling symptoms.

Oh so they aren't researching it, but they are researching things that might lead to it. Well that isn't obscurantist, is it? Also I would much prefer the second option.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 3:00 pm

How many of these threads are we going to have? -_-

ci
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 3:11 pm

Enough I suppose for others to realize the world is not perfect and not everyone is out to hate people with autism for simply developing new treatments by understanding what is wrong. To say nothing is wrong is a lie. I know that first hand with regards to autism and myself. Everyone has the right to privacy and to fight the rights to treatment advancements for the sake of dignity is foolish and cannot win in the human rights realm of things. Also to make monsters out of people trying to help is absurd and the nonsense should end. Taking everything personaly won't get peoples ways but being open minded and accepting choice tolerance will build in that fashion.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 4:46 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Oh so they aren't researching it, but they are researching things that might lead to it. Well that isn't obscurantist, is it? Also I would much prefer the second option.

I was responding directly to this statement from Sweetleaf: "Autism Speaks is delusional if they think they can provide such a test." Clarifying that neither the goverment or autism speaks have suggested that they will provide a definitive prenatal genetic test. At this point it is only a goal of the government and autism speaks to provide a definitive genetic prenatal test, that they are funding research for, in hopes to eventually be able to provide prenatal intevention to correct or temper the developmental disabilities that are at time associated with Autism.

The research in Australia, that I linked earlier, looks like the most cutting edge research I have seen in this area so far.

Last edited by aghogday on 09 Sep 2011, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 6:33 pm

Delirium wrote:
How many of these threads are we going to have? -_-

I can see it heading for some kind of record myself... :roll:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:01 pm

As many as it takes.

On one side we have Science, Government, Parents, Autism Speaks, and most of the autistic population.

On the other hand we have a few deniers who would define their autism as superior, and if all the ignorant people would just do as they are told, and accept the leadership of the self elected, and give them money, they would do something as yet undisclosed.

So far all they have done is complain. They know better than science, are against research, treatment, children, and stay on message about their talking point.

When it comes to funding for autism, "Nothing about us without us."

Autism Speaks bans them as fast as they produce another sock puppet, so they come here to claim they are involved in autism.

Their tactics and name calling recently got the, "banned if you keep that up here."

While they attack everything and body, they have never added to content, suggested a plan, they just object to people raising $100 Million a year, funding long term research, and all the parents that support them.

While there are a lot of medical and scientific reasons for prenatal testing, to them it is all Abortion and Genocide. Genetics is all Abortion and Genocide, Autism Awareness is about Abortion and Genocide. Therapy for children is about Abortion and Genocide.

Having only a single issue, fear mongering, they try to become players in the big money game of autism, but it is obvious they are only playing with themselves.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:15 pm

Well anyways I think I have a good understanding of the issues after months of study. I don't want to spend much more time debating. I feel very confident in my understanding of the issues to an extreme depth. Preventing public relations hassles and intervening in rights disputes. It was fun but I must wind down my participating on this forum as it's VERY hard switching interests and notions of ethics, emotions and rights I spend days on. It is in part mastered by me in context to these issues.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YcSmYFkWmY&feature=artist[/youtube]

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 2:46 am

i thought this post was a real inquiry into the facts about the autism speaks political agenda.but no,its another threadjacking by the exreme wings of autism politics,to make another pride v cure post.this is a "prequel to threadjacking" a post made under false pretenses a post threadjacked before the post was even made.term officialy coined "prequell to threadjacking"

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 2:54 am

Inventor wrote:
As many as it takes.

On one side we have Science, Government, Parents, Autism Speaks, and most of the autistic population.

On the other hand we have a few deniers who would define their autism as superior, and if all the ignorant people would just do as they are told, and accept the leadership of the self elected, and give them money, they would do something as yet undisclosed.

So far all they have done is complain. They know better than science, are against research, treatment, children, and stay on message about their talking point.

When it comes to funding for autism, "Nothing about us without us."

Autism Speaks bans them as fast as they produce another sock puppet, so they come here to claim they are involved in autism.

Their tactics and name calling recently got the, "banned if you keep that up here."

While they attack everything and body, they have never added to content, suggested a plan, they just object to people raising $100 Million a year, funding long term research, and all the parents that support them.

While there are a lot of medical and scientific reasons for prenatal testing, to them it is all Abortion and Genocide. Genetics is all Abortion and Genocide, Autism Awareness is about Abortion and Genocide. Therapy for children is about Abortion and Genocide.

Having only a single issue, fear mongering, they try to become players in the big money game of autism, but it is obvious they are only playing with themselves.

This is really ironic, considering Autism Speaks refuses to allow PEOPLE WITH AUTISM TO SPEAK AT THEIR MEETINGS, has had two directors of research resign over their batsh*t crazy hellbent agenda to link vaccines to Autism, and put out damningly doomful PSA's about Autism likening it to cancer and AIDS.

Yeah, okay. It's those who oppose Autism Speaks who are anti-science, anti-Autistic rights, and advocate group superiority. Uh-huh. :roll:

Black is white and up is down, apparently.

to his Interest."

ci
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 2:55 am

Translation.

Got to the bottom of the issue and some don't like it.

Sedisp
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2011, 3:00 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Yeah, okay. It's those who oppose Autism Speaks who are anti-science, anti-Autistic rights, and advocate group superiority. Uh-huh. :roll:

Elimination of middlegrond.

Do you view Asperger's as a disorder?

If not why do you disagree with science?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 3:07 am

Sedisp wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Elimination of middle ground occurs when people who oppose anti-science, anti-Autistic rights, and neurosuperiority
are accused of being anti-science, anti-Autistic rights, and advocates of neurosuperiority.

I don't view Asperger's as a disorder distinct from high-functioning Autism, no,
and neither does the field of psychology, hence it's deletion as a diagnosis from the DSM.

But what does science have to do with Autism Speaks?

to his Interest."

Sedisp
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2011, 3:11 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Sedisp wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Elimination of middle ground occurs when people who oppose anti-science, anti-Autistic rights, and neurosuperiority
are accused of being anti-science, anti-Autistic rights, and advocates of neurosuperiority.

I don't view Asperger's as a disorder distinct from high-functioning Autism, no,
and neither does the field of psychology, hence it's deletion as a diagnosis from the DSM.

Allow me to be more specific. Do you believe that autism is a disorder?

Also I don't believe you know what elimination of the middle ground is.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 3:15 am

I wouldn't want pride anti-cure interfering with the right to cure. Autism Speaks is for people that want a cure so why does it need to facilitate anti-cure when individuals want to remove that potential progress? It has been a practice on some anti-cure forums some years back to exclude pro-cure individuals with autism by banning them and calling them curebees. In ASAN their is no voting nor ability to participate in the central platform only anti-cure can and it's a self-advocacy network!

People have the ability to speak freely in public and on the internet. Why must they remove the choices of others when they don't choose themselves the same treatment potentials as others. Seems weird to expect a research organization to allow anti-cure to take control removing the rights of progress from others.

Autism Speaks already includes parents and people with autism that want a cure. If I wanted to I could work with Autism Speaks as an individual with autism that respects peoples rights. Yet frantic anti-cure advocating with accusations of war crimes and damning efforts calling it bigotry when autism is a disorder label about the negatives and not a whole person wants to control cure rights.? Autism Speaks never said autism is the same as cancer but it is a disability of importance in society. That's what I got from it and people that don't choose cure commonly will twist things up to be insulting when there is no intention just to try to get there way and remove the right and choice to cure progress for others.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:51 am

ci wrote:
I wouldn't want pride anti-cure interfering with the right to cure.

But that isn't the problem. You're annoyed that people who advocate this 'pride' will divert funding and scientific endeavour away from an actual cure because of their views. That isn't interfering with any (non-existant) right to cure because the cure doesn't exist yet (presuming that there is a cure).

You are saying that people don't have a right to talk about not curing themselves because it may damage the obtaining of a cure: and that is opposition to freedom of speech and conscience.