Ableist 15%  15%  [ 15 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Other 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 97

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2014, 5:14 pm

If someone behaves in a bigoted manner towards ethnic minorities, they are called a racist

If someone behaves in a bigoted manner towards gay people, they are called homophobic

If someone behaves in a bigoted manner towards women, they are called a misogynist

If someone behaves in a bigoted manner towards disabled people, they are called ableist

I don't think the label "ableist" totally applies to people who discriminate against us on the spectrum. Some manifestations of autistic spectrum conditions are negative and disabling, but other manifestations are positive, or neutral, but still are met with discrimination. So I feel that ableist doesn't quite cut it.

The problem is that I can't think of a word to adequately describe it. The best one I can think of are "neurobigot" "heteroneurophobic" "anti-neurodiverse" or "neurotypical supremacist". If anyone can think of a pithier word with fewer syllables, I'd be happy to hear it!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 5:21 pm

Neurobigot seems nice & pithy to me, but I might call them plebeians or sociopaths. Once, a guy claiming to posess a 40+ year old psych minor called me "manic depressive" (I have HFA & self-diagnosed PTSD, beyond a doubt) behind my back, speaking to my dad. He repeated the gossip the next day. I put hours of thought into it, reached the obvious conclusion that he was a sociopath and warned him not to let that behavior hold back his students.

That was a terrible vacation...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 5:52 pm

It's not necessary to use words incorrectly or create new ambiguous ones to use incorectly.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 12:09 am

Ignorant. The same word you can use for people who discriminate against any other group of people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 10:25 am

A bigot...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 10:27 am

khaoz wrote:
Ignorant. The same word you can use for people who discriminate against any other group of people.

Not sure ignorant fits per say, plenty of ignorant people don't discriminate against others....ignorance is a lack of knowledge, it can play a role in discrimination but much of the time its more about hatred of a certain group which doesn't necessarily imply ignorance.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 10:33 am

I am not using ignorant in the term of general but rather ignorant of human behavior, still believing that it is peoples ethnic, or sexual proclivity that determines how they behave. Like people who think the being dark skinned will make an individual or group of people more inclined to be criminals. I may be ignorant of technology but that doesn't mean I am ignorant of knowing how to make a good peanut butter/jelly samich.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2014, 6:27 pm

Yeah the words "ignorant" and "bigot" doesn't quite cover it either in my opinion. It's too broad. You can be aware of racial differences and non-prejudiced against people of other races but ignorant of austistic spectrum conditions and bigoted against those on the autistic spectrum.

I know some people hate buzzwords, but I feel that we need to give a name to those who discriminate against us. We have the phrase "Aspie Supremacist", but none for people who discriminate against those on the spectrum.

BecauseImArtistic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2014, 11:48 am

Is an aspie-supremacist someone who believe aspies are better than NTs? or better than other autistic people? (or both)?

Neuro-bigot sounds good, but is not necessarily bigoted toward autism since neurodiversity can include others, such as those with ADD (right?) though now that I think of it, anyone who would discriminate against people with ADD would probably discriminate against people with autism, too.

Misoautist? Autisophobe? (actually i don't like that one for the same reason I don't like "homophobe" - it's hatred, not an irrational fear) ...I think I'm out of ideas

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 9:33 pm

If I did not believe that the autistic or genius way of thinking was superior I would not be autistic. Yet I am called a bigot for thinking that autistic people like Einstein are geniuses. Neurotypicals love to think that their sports heroes are better at sports than the average person yet neurotypicals are not called bigots for believing in sports ability supremacy.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 10:03 pm

Actually, we need this sort of formalized term. A good usable word is needed to bring the topic into a wider conversation.

HarmonySeptember
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2014, 10:32 pm

How about "Autnorant". A mix of "Ignorant" and "Autism". I just made it up.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 11:15 pm

How about "antiaut", for anti-autistic?

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 12:14 am

A jerk.

A1phabeta
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2014, 7:35 am

autiphobic maybe?

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2014, 7:09 pm

I like the word Misautist! I wish I could edit that poll to put up more options.