Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

Einstein is not a tragedy.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Mar 2014, 12:14 pm

And neither was he diagnosed with autism.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 12:31 pm

Doctor Michael Fitzgerald, Professor of Psychiatry at Trinity College, Dublin, diagnosed Einstein with autism.

Is diagnosing a dead person considered to be malpractice ?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Mar 2014, 12:34 pm

More like impossible.

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm

Besides the pertinent issues presented herein plus the neocapitalist spin they put onto autism that really gets my goat, my main reason to protest Autism Speaks is because they aren't letting autism speak. In fact, the project now has the effect of silencing autistics. We are either marginalized or omitted from their conversation, and we are the biggest stakeholders.

I have nothing against parents of autistics speaking, but that's what it should be called and that's how it should be represented and viewed. How presumptuous! And how rude!

The biggest irony is the idea that autistics who do not or cannot speak are speaking through this group. It's a catchy cute idea, and I'm sure the paid minions hired to come up with the idea looked at the project from a branding perspective. This is equally infuriating and insulting to me, because not only do we not need to be further branded (read: exploited), we are not being accorded the respect due other groups with a history of societal prejudice against them.

To me, the project is just a frustration outlet for rich folks who want to control the discourse. It may not have started out this way, but that's what it's become.

If you want to hear autism speak, visit the blogs and forums and videos where we say what's on our minds. Our voices should outweigh the pap being supported by the 1%-ers who seem to believe that their wealth entitles them to speak for us.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Mar 2014, 6:32 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
i disagree with ASdogGeek on the DSM 5. LFA, or as i call "kanner's" is much different from aspergers. most aspies are proud of their aspie label and to call it something else is to take it away from them. people need to stop seeing the difference between aspergers and kanners as a racist term. white and black people are both different but that doesn't mean one is better than the other. plus, kanners people require treatments that are different from those with aspergers. yes we're still us but the DSM doesn't make us feel like it. not that's it's bad being kanners but it's not what aspies are. Speaks is against the changes too but only because they wanna continue their fear rhetoric. it's a power grab. what we aspies need to be is against the DSM 5 because aspergers is who we are, it's not bad to be kanners but it's not who WE are.

Kanner's patients fit much more closely with the category of "high functioning." The inclusion of "low functioning" autistic diagnoses was something that happened years later, and my understanding is that many people objected to this necessary inclusion.

So you're already misusing the label "Kanner's autism."

Anyway, one of the reasons for the change in the DSM-5 is the fact that which label you were diagnosed with depended more on where you were diagnosed and sometimes what your needs were perceived to be more than a strict adherence to the criteria for autism disorder, PDD-NOS, or Asperger's Syndrome.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 12:09 am

Cornflake wrote:
More like impossible.
he did have an idiot savant personality type.but yes;you cant diagnos someone you have never met.alive or dead

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2014, 2:56 am

but there are so many people who have aspergers and love being called "aspergers" and nothing else, and the DSM 5 took that right away.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Mar 2014, 6:07 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
More like impossible.
he did have an idiot savant personality type.but yes;you cant diagnos someone you have never met.alive or dead
Yep, exactly. It was originally presented as an opinion based on unverifiable comments from unspecified individuals (many of whom are also dead) about the perceived behaviour of various dead people, not a diagnosis, and appears to date from 2008. The article below mischaracterises this as a "post mortem diagnosis" (an oxymoron, surely) and there were probably others, consequently it's become "fact" since then. :roll:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... utism.html
It's a shame this was tucked away right at the end, presumably as "balance":
Telegraph article wrote:
Amanda Batten, of the National Autistic Society said: "It is important to avoid stereotypes of people with autism as geniuses or otherwise, as everyone has individual character traits, strengths and needs.

"These might include attention to detail and the ability to pursue something for long periods of time, however apparent ability in some areas may lead people to underestimate the challenges individuals face in other parts of their lives."

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Mar 2014, 6:11 am

HDLMatchette wrote:
but there are so many people who have aspergers and love being called "aspergers" and nothing else, and the DSM 5 took that right away.
People can call themselves whatever they want. Nothing was "taken away". There is no conspiracy.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2014, 8:23 am

those that are lower functioning may need some more assistance in talking and stuff, but you know what? that's not a bad thing. i mean, think about it, when a lower functioning child can go from speaking 10 words to 40, isn't that a good thing? that's because he/she got help doing it. sometimes, we spectrumites don't like to think we need help because that makes us feel bad when we look around and see that many other people don't get that kind of help. but remember, when they were toddlers, they needed help talking too, and that took a while as well. but they could talk in the end, and that's because they got help. what people in general, not just those on the spectrum, need to realize is that help is not a bad thing, and we should stop being jealous or envied at other people's abilities.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2014, 8:28 am

we shouldn't given that kind of help help by someone who thinks they're trying to "cure" us, because it doesn't. it just helps us along the way. i would never take that kind of help from Speaks because i know they're using those programs on how to talk thinking that they'll "cure" our autism. we should be very careful who we out our trust in.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2014, 8:30 am

so basically, when it comes to autistics learning how to take care of themselves, they and their caretakers, NT or on the spectrum, should ask themselves "we all need someone to lean on, but who?"

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 2:20 pm

Neurotypicals want to help us by putting us into special education ret*d schools.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 8:04 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Neurotypicals want to help us by putting us into special education ret*d schools.
exactly what they did with me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 12:07 am

Cornflake wrote:
HDLMatchette wrote:
People can call themselves whatever they want. Nothing was "taken away". There is no conspiracy.

People can call themselves what they want but but what I have noticed based on lot of posts here and elsewhere is that since the DSM 5 manual came out a lot of people either don't want to call themselves Aspies anymore or instead of an identity like it was it is just used as a descriptor. My guess is because of black and white type thinking people here put a lot of importance on what an "official" organization like the DSM 5 says. Also if something is repeated often enough people will believe it. Especially if it's respected authorities like psychologist and The New York Times saying it. That is what I think a lot of the Aspie wanabee perception is about.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman