Page 3 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 12:58 pm

you mentioned your son is having liver problems as a result of the drug he's been on.
You might want to look into Milk Thistle (silybuum marianum) a safe herb shown in double blind, placebo controlled studies to help heal the liver. It has a long, safe and effective history for many liver problems and is widely available and easy to grow, at least in US. It is the seeds that are used medicinally. Best wishes to you and your son.

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2011, 11:56 am

tenzinsmom wrote:
Reminder: the OP's question here was use of marijuana for a CHILD. That is the point, not the general merits of pot.

I'm all for making marijuana legal, growing hemp for all kinds of purposes, and for using it medically and recreationally for ADULTS.

However, the THC in the plant is mind altering. It can cause hallucinations, and it isn't negative-side-effect-free. Let's not kid ourselves.

I think it would be absolutely irresponsible to use marijuana to treat a child's conditions because of the effect is has on cognition.

It effects memory, the ability to learn, reflexes, etc...

For regular use, it is not for children.

Period.

Unperiod. Cannabis is safe for children. In fact, it is hardly even psychoactive to children as they do not have as many CB1 receptors as adults do.

google Lester Grinspoon (professor of psychiatry at harvard etc) if you want the truth about the child safety record for cannabis.

Big Period.

150 years ago it was not uncommon to worm very young children using heroic doses of cannabis and no harm ever came to them apart from sleepiness and softer stools.

MisterJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2011, 3:15 pm

Marijuana is safer than almost any pharmaceutical drug that is intended to affect the mind, although I cannot testify to it's effects on children, or the efficacy of edibles, I started smoking marijuana a fairly young age. (Thirteen or fourteen.) I didn't know I was aspergian then, but it didn't take me long to realize that marijuana had a profound affect on my anxiety and stress levels, and helped me to perform better in social situations. There was more to it than the effect on my mind, however. In most circles, there are clearly defined rituals and rules when it comes to smoking and the communication that goes on during. It gave me something to look at and focus on other than the people I was talking to. I continue to smoke marijuana through adulthood, but primarily because of a respiratory condition, but I think it's an invaluable tool for managing my stress and anxiety. The most important thing I think is that an individual, adult or child, who consumes THC or any other psychoactive compound, maintains time frames where they are not under the influence, to promote typical development and cognitive function.

Arius_Reborn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2011, 5:40 am

I use it, and it helps.

I recommend tinctures over edibles. It's easier to regulate the dose. You can take the edge off so to speak without getting high.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 8:25 pm

Rispridal caused me to spend 3 months of being in hospital feeling so distant from reality, with severely limited cognitive functioning and insomnia. i spent pretty much every moment in bed, could barley walk for more than 5 minutes at a time and could not even do as much as concentrate on a tv or read.

after being released i spend another couple months basically lying on the sofa in my mums house, getting no sleep what so ever..

no matter how many times i would tell Dr's that my head was completely F''d up they insisted that if i kept taking it these symptoms would go away once i am "better". IDIOTS.

moral of the story is, avoid drug induced psychosis (not from weed actually but from taking FAR too many Ecstasy pills over the new year period).

Edit: the occasional smoke of weed really helps take the edge of things for me and does help me think through all the current events in my life to make sense of things. if i smoked it all the time i would become paranoid. occasionally doing it works good for me.

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2011, 9:14 pm

CannabisForAutism wrote:
tenzinsmom wrote:
Reminder: the OP's question here was use of marijuana for a CHILD. That is the point, not the general merits of pot.

I'm all for making marijuana legal, growing hemp for all kinds of purposes, and for using it medically and recreationally for ADULTS.

However, the THC in the plant is mind altering. It can cause hallucinations, and it isn't negative-side-effect-free. Let's not kid ourselves.

I think it would be absolutely irresponsible to use marijuana to treat a child's conditions because of the effect is has on cognition.

Period.

Unperiod. Cannabis is safe for children. In fact, it is hardly even psychoactive to children as they do not have as many CB1 receptors as adults do.

google Lester Grinspoon (professor of psychiatry at harvard etc) if you want the truth about the child safety record for cannabis.

Big Period.

150 years ago it was not uncommon to worm very young children using heroic doses of cannabis and no harm ever came to them apart from sleepiness and softer stools.

Ok, maybe I have been closed-minded on this subject due to personal experience with marijuana. I see there is much that I don't know on the topic--I didn't know about the CB1 receptors.

I could not find anything on the internet by Lester Grinspoon on long term use of marijuana for children. Can you direct me?

I did find this bit of anecdotal information: http://rxmarijuana.com/lee.htm

I don't advocate for pharmaceuticals at all, unless one has ruled out every conceivable natural approach. However, I still have a lot of questions about long term use for children. It's not the social stigma of marijuana that causes me pause. I want to see more evidence that it's safe. Some researchers have found evidence of brain damage (change???) from chronic use of between 10 to 20 years.

What about the side effects? Like apathy, difficulty in concentration and focus, and for some, depression (again, related to long-term use, not short term). I wouldn't want to experiment on MY child, unless every other natural approach proved to fail. Such as medicinal diet, allergy testing, meditation, yoga, sports therapy, accupuncture or accupressure, homeopathy, vitamins, candida therapy, etc...

Short term, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE marijuana. Love love love it. Long term, things take a turn towards the dark.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 1:52 pm

I have to tell you Risperdal almost flat-out killed me because of dystonia in my neck. I got dragged into an emergency room. They gave me a Benadryl IV and it went away after that.

You might not get addicted, but I know one guy who smoked enough to get depression. On a scientific note, smoking a plant is always considered a cancer risk.

and know for this...

tenzinsmom wrote:
Have you tried to see a holistic medical practitioner? What about a DAN doctor to treat your son's dangerous/debilitating conditions?

If you can get past the name: Defeat Autism Now, you might find a good practitioner who understands autism and will help you find natural means to help your child.

I would strongly recommend that route before turning to cannibis.

Please let us know if you find something that works.

(clenches teeth, balls fists, veins bulge from eyes)

Some DAN! doctors use medical marijuana. Some use chiropractic and crack kids' spines despite the fact they have not developed it then. They give children pills that are so diluted there is no active ingredient in them. They put them in hyperbaric oxygen chambers and risk them getting oxygen poisoning. They make children ingest worm eggs. Doctors run chelating agents through their body, and once one child died. but it did not stop DAN! from putting them on their list a year later. DAN! has no way of proving the doctors they certify are competent or even have medical degrees in their field; they do not do background checks either. To get on the list, all you have to do is attend a two-hour meeting. They are almost all anti-vaccine and none of their treatments have ever been verified by the FDA or shown in peer-reviewed scientific articles to work at all. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO A DAN! DOCTOR. It is too dangerous. Almost none of them have any experience in treating children with autism. There has to be some state agency or something that can help better.

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2011, 12:10 am

HerrGrimm wrote:
I have to tell you Risperdal almost flat-out killed me because of dystonia in my neck. I got dragged into an emergency room. They gave me a Benadryl IV and it went away after that.

You might not get addicted, but I know one guy who smoked enough to get depression. On a scientific note, smoking a plant is always considered a cancer risk.

and know for this...

tenzinsmom wrote:
Have you tried to see a holistic medical practitioner? What about a DAN doctor to treat your son's dangerous/debilitating conditions?

If you can get past the name: Defeat Autism Now, you might find a good practitioner who understands autism and will help you find natural means to help your child.

I would strongly recommend that route before turning to cannibis.

Please let us know if you find something that works.

(clenches teeth, balls fists, veins bulge from eyes)

Some DAN! doctors use medical marijuana. Some use chiropractic and crack kids' spines despite the fact they have not developed it then. They give children pills that are so diluted there is no active ingredient in them. They put them in hyperbaric oxygen chambers and risk them getting oxygen poisoning. They make children ingest worm eggs. Doctors run chelating agents through their body, and once one child died. but it did not stop DAN! from putting them on their list a year later. DAN! has no way of proving the doctors they certify are competent or even have medical degrees in their field; they do not do background checks either. To get on the list, all you have to do is attend a two-hour meeting. They are almost all anti-vaccine and none of their treatments have ever been verified by the FDA or shown in peer-reviewed scientific articles to work at all. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO A DAN! DOCTOR. It is too dangerous. Almost none of them have any experience in treating children with autism. There has to be some state agency or something that can help better.

Seriously? Hogwash!

Our doctor didn't "give children pills that are so diluted there is no active ingredient in them"(that's called Homeopathy), give us worm eggs, do hyperbaric Oxygen chambers, do chelation. Ridiculous claims. And by the way, the parents have a say in what their children do and do not do. A DAN doctor is a DOCTOR OK? If they aren't, they aren't. DAN isn't a licensure board, it's a profressional group that share a common belief that autism is a constellation of issues , some of which are treatable.

READ: http://www.autismwebsite.com/practitioners/us_lc.htm

I don't like their name, though. There's no need to defeat autism. But there is a great need to understand autism and to establish holistic, safe medical protocols for treating aspects of having autism such as anxiety and other biological issues that have a tendency to go along with the condition.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 2:16 pm

If I had to make a choice, DAN! will always be eliminated before Autism Speaks. AS does not endanger children. I am dead serious.

The bad news is my laptop will all my links to DAN! and their activities blew a monitor light so I do not have bookmarks right now.

This website is more than enough evidence for people with autism not to trust this organization, and is the crux of my argument.

I will wait 24-36 hrs to see if anyone knows what is on that page. It also gives me a little more time to find everything again.

EDIT: I saw a homeopath in that list you gave me.

Last edited by HerrGrimm on 02 May 2011, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 7:12 pm

i would be wary of using it for a developing brain, though personal discretion is always key when discussing something as complex as the human psyche.
i have used marijuana in a medical sense since i was 16, i have very good experiences and very bad, it all depends on the how, when and why's.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

mycats
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2011, 11:05 pm

I think pescription marijuana would be great for the Autistic spectrum. It would help me to relax in social situations. And if it helps with ocd and self injurous behavior, all the more reason to have it be prescribed.

Is there some sort of how to guide that will tell me how to find where I can buy some pot?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 3:13 am

tenzinsmom wrote:

Period.

Then why use it on adultsif you know it is dangerous?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 11:12 am

shawniesmom wrote:
Well as a parent who watches their child bite themselves, slam head into solid things, scratch flesh off his body, and who's only savior (rispirdal) is starting to kill his liver, I feel that If something natural can provide a calming effect, and do better by him and his symptoms, and not kill him, Im on board. I would have to say that the slim chances of him presenting with any adverse reactions to MJ are worth it, because my only other options are self injury or more caustic medications. In addition the protocol for MJ use in autism, is not to get them loaded, but to find a dose of edible that takes the edge off of his symptoms, and not making him high. By no means are we trying to just get him high, in fact we want our son back. I dont know if anyone is familiar with rispirdal but it makes my son a zombie. thats not what we want for him. My mission in life is to make sure my son is healthy, safe, and happy. We are not on some race to find a cure or a fix for him. If he never wants to talk its his choice, we communicate just fine. we arent going to shove ABA in his face 40 hours a week. We want him healthy and happy. Is wellbeing is my number one and rispirdal is only harming him.

It is certainly possible to take an amount that helps with various symptoms, but does not cause a high....But yeah if cannabis helps with your childs symptoms moreso then a medication that is killing his liver. I cannot belive they would encourage you to continue feeding him a drug that could possibly kill him.....but anyways considering cannabis does not have side effects like that it is probably the safer option. Since this is a child definatly stick with the edibles as smoking is not all that healthy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Quote:
Here is the problem with marijuana. It is a drug which convinces a person that they are not significantly impaired by it, and causes apathy in those who can least afford to be apathetic

Ah yes, we must conform to what your society says is necessary to be non-apathetic about. We must force those who are different into the narrow way of what makes you function in the life you chose in which to function. See, that is what you don't seem to understand about life, let alone marijuana. It doesn't have to be forced through only one way of being. However, now we are going to hear from you about how I won't achieve the American Dream if I persist in choosing a different way.

Some of us were disenfranchised from that 'American Dream' very early on and literally have nothing to lose.

Hmm I would imagine the medication that was having negative effects on the liver of the OPs child, is also a drug...and depending on the amount of cannabis you smoke or otherwise ingest and your tolerance would determine your impairment. If i take a couple hits before I leave the house to take the edge off I am not significantly impaired....if its the weekend and I smoke a couple bowls then yeah its safe to say I am 'impaired' and should not do any dangerous tasks while impaired.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

liloleme wrote:
A good rule to starting a child on ANY drug is too look into the side effects and THC does have side effects. Not everyone has the same reaction to drugs. I tired smoking when I was a teen and It had psychotropic effects on me, I hallucinated and then would become very paranoid and have anxiety attacks....that would not be something you would want for your child who is already suffering from severe anxiety.

Though that is unlikely on a dose meant to help the symptoms but not make the individual high that they would suffer those sorts of things....in my mind that might be a little bit better than dying of liver failure. Those side effects are actually kind of rare....but should certianly be acknowleged.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

hadapurpura wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
In my opinion it is a disaster waiting to happen. There may be something in that plant that may be useful for medicinal purposes. Okay that may be a decent argument, however try to extract that chemical from the plant and leave the rest of it out.

There aren't enough studies as to the long term effects of that drug.

THIS.

I'm on three prescription drugs (namely clonazepam, fluoxetine and trazodone), which I need to treat depression, anxiety, panic attacks and severe insomnia. Needless to say, I'd rather not have to take them, but I need them, and I really don't know about their long-term effects. I'm considering medijuana, but it's not such an innocent drug, either. If they really took the time to study the plant and its medicinal properties, and isolate the medicinal components of it from the damaging ones, it would be great.

The thing with marijuana is the medical benifits are not just related to one isolated chemical...there are however different strains with different amounts of the various chemicals......and some work better than others. Like there are indica and sativia(maybe spelled wrong) strains which have different effects.

Also they do make THC pills but they have found that they are usually not as effective as THC that comes in the plant form along with the other chemicals found in cannabis.