Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 5:05 pm

Am I too sensitive? asks autistic singer Wyatt Isaacs, in a song about the autistic experience:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sse0CXDuv64[/youtube]
And I'd like to tell him: "No, you are not. It is the others who are not sensitive enough".

By the way, Jack Black, the older singer who sings this song together with Wyatt, seems to me at least as autistic as Wyatt himself :)

And here is an interview with Wyatt Isaacs:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcp7mkGIH0[/youtube]

http://www.autscape.org/

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 5:13 pm

Cool song! Luv it!!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 6:28 pm

KenG wrote:

Quote:
By the way, Jack Black, the older singer who sings this song together with Wyatt, seems to me at least as autistic as Wyatt himself Smile

Jack Black is an American actor. He's just hamming it up. :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0085312/

The song is nice. What a great kid.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 5:11 pm

Hey! I recognize that kid. He was one of the kids in the documentary about kids with autism putting on a musical as part of an arts program. It was called "Autism: The Musical". I guess he really liked singing in the musical enough to stick with it. Yay for him. He stuck in my head because of two scenes that involved him and his family. In the first scene he is shown giving a melancholy speech about how he feels shut out when one of the other kids in the group goes off on a monologue about dinosaurs (that kid's special interest). Then he says this makes him realize he's probably making other people feel shut out when he does the same thing. Such insight.

Then they cut to the next scene which is his parents meeting with an advocate they've hired to fight for Wyatt's educational needs at school. They are sitting at a table and the advocate is waving Wyatt's diagnostic report at them. They glare stonefaced at the advocate as the advocate says, "I don't know why you insist on calling him high functioning. This report shows a very low cognitive profile." I wanted to reach into the TV and throttle the advocate for saying that. I recognized the stonefaced glare his parents had. The same look must have been on my own face as somebody said basically the same thing about my own daughter, who is fairly similar to Wyatt inasmuch as I could tell from the documentary. "Low cognitive profile my a**" I yelled at the TV. And I think Wyatt got the last laugh. The advocate seriously underestimated what he is capable of just because he (presumably) did badly on an IQ test. But now he's doing a duet with Jack Black. Ha! Go Wyatt!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 2:47 pm

I love that song. I've been asking myself that question my whole life.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 2:03 pm

Janissy wrote:
Hey! I recognize that kid. He was one of the kids in the documentary about kids with autism putting on a musical as part of an arts program. It was called "Autism: The Musical". I guess he really liked singing in the musical enough to stick with it. Yay for him. He stuck in my head because of two scenes that involved him and his family. In the first scene he is shown giving a melancholy speech about how he feels shut out when one of the other kids in the group goes off on a monologue about dinosaurs (that kid's special interest). Then he says this makes him realize he's probably making other people feel shut out when he does the same thing. Such insight.

Then they cut to the next scene which is his parents meeting with an advocate they've hired to fight for Wyatt's educational needs at school. They are sitting at a table and the advocate is waving Wyatt's diagnostic report at them. They glare stonefaced at the advocate as the advocate says, "I don't know why you insist on calling him high functioning. This report shows a very low cognitive profile." I wanted to reach into the TV and throttle the advocate for saying that. I recognized the stonefaced glare his parents had. The same look must have been on my own face as somebody said basically the same thing about my own daughter, who is fairly similar to Wyatt inasmuch as I could tell from the documentary. "Low cognitive profile my a**" I yelled at the TV. And I think Wyatt got the last laugh. The advocate seriously underestimated what he is capable of just because he (presumably) did badly on an IQ test. But now he's doing a duet with Jack Black. Ha! Go Wyatt!

From what you're saying, the kid seems pretty smart! ^^