Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2010, 12:57 am

I am wanting to prepare a calm, thoughtful case against Autism Speaks that I can present to anyone I talk to who supports Autism Speaks. I am wondering if people here can help me find solid evidence for the points I want to make. I want to be able to back up my claims with evidence as much as possible; I do not want to link to angry opponents of Autism Speaks, no matter how right they may be, because I think that will make people who so far support Autism Speaks get defensive/oppositional themselves. I would rather understate my case and have every point be backed up with indisputable evidence than overstate it and have people think I'm reading too much into things and sensationalizing.

1. Money problems? I've heard it said that Autism Speaks doesn't manage its money well; what is the evidence for that? I did find the Better Business Bureau report that states that Autism Speaks does not meet all its guidelines ( ), but the only guideline it misses is related to it not disclosing how an affinity credit card program, and I suspect that many people will not consider that a sufficient financial problem.

2. Eugenics. What are the most incriminating things that Autism Speaks and its representatives have said and done in this regard? I suspect that they have never overtly said that they support eugenics or abortion of autistic fetuses; if they have, that is important information. Have they overtly said that they are looking for a prenatal test? Or is it more at the level of "They are putting most of their research efforts into figuring out the genetics of autism; combined with an emphasis on early diagnosis, this logically leads to a desire for a prenatal test"?

3. Types of research funded. One statistic I think I've heard is that only 4% of the money they spend on programs goes towards actually helping autistic people/families with autistic children. Where does this statistic come from? Are there details available on what kinds of research they fund? I'd like to make a point about research into genetics (and causes more generally, including pointless cause theories like vaccines) taking away money not only from programs to directly assist autistic people and their family, but also from research into what kinds of education/therapy help autistic children and adults learn and live best.

4. Fearmongering. It probably wouldn't take too much work to find some of their sensationalist advertisements, but I suppose some links wouldn't hurt.

Hmm, there are probably other points I could make, but these are what come to mind at the moment.

(I am not planning to say anything about why looking for a cure is problematic in itself; I think that would be too difficult to get across.)

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 3:08 am

Show them the "Autism Every Day" video, I suppose.

I'm afraid I can't really argue calmly about Autism Speaks; it's hard to be objective about an organization that thinks you're a mistake that needs to be fixed.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 6:11 am

To show the money issues, get a copy of the latest Form 990 that every non-profit is required to file with the IRS and present upon demand to those wishing to donate to the charity.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 12:50 pm

- They've gone after autistic people who've criticized them.
- They don't really do anything to improve autistic people's quality of life.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 1:53 pm

They do not have a single autistic person working for them.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 2:59 pm

http://notautismspeaks.tk

Just show them that.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2010, 6:01 pm

Thanks, Asp-Z, that looks like a helpful site.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2010, 7:00 pm

Numbers 1 & 3 should be covered by that form 990 that another poster mentioned.

Number 2 is pretty easy: this has links to a few quotes that should help you out. Remember that these people are in fact with Autism Speaks, especially the first one.

Number 4, however, is the easiest. There are plenty of fearmongering videos that one could show, but my personal favorite is the I Am Autism video. Fearmongering at its finest.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 9:57 am

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
Numbers 1 & 3 should be covered by that form 990 that another poster mentioned.

Number 2 is pretty easy: this has links to a few quotes that should help you out. Remember that these people are in fact with Autism Speaks, especially the first one.

Number 4, however, is the easiest. There are plenty of fearmongering videos that one could show, but my personal favorite is the I Am Autism video. Fearmongering at its finest.

I Am Autism does strike fear into a new and ususpecting parent's heart, saying that their autistic child will break up marriages, keep them unemployed, and prevent them from succeeding in school, but I don't find that true; often, people with autism and Asperger's usually are successful in life, even if it's not society's standard of success.

I don't even find I Am Autism touching, to be honest. Many people on Youtube do, but I don't personally find it sweet or inspirational.

DarkestShadow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Nov 2010, 8:50 pm

do any of you think that their life expectancy is decreasing? i do, probably because there are billions of Autistics and Aspies that curse their name and wish that they would burn in Hell and maybe, some may think about taking action if you know what i mean :wink: