Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dragonfly92
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2011, 4:31 am

hypothetical question, if a cure did exist (i don't believe there ever will be one) do you think it would be right for a parent to get the cure for their severely low functioning autism?

I myself am a high functioning aspie and would never exept a cure because of how it would change the essence of who i am, but i have a cousin with severe low functioning autism. If he were to be changed into an NT, would it really be worth it?

And yeah, this is my first post.

Also, sorry if i posted this in the wrong area. (if is belongs in the general autism discussion)

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2011, 5:46 am

:scratch: That is a deeply ethical question and I honestly don't know the answer. But if there was something that could turns someone's low functioning autism into a high functioning autism, it would probably be worth it.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 7:20 am

The only grounds I can see for not trying the cure (yes, even if it's experimental) would be some sort of religious fundamentalism.

Hell if there were a cure I'd be standing in line, high functioning or not, but brains are path-dependent things and the aspergers glitch(es) bite into their development fairly early in the process. It doesn't - even in the light of recent stem cell results - look likely.

emjay89

22 Feb 2011, 7:50 am

dont know.
how olds the patient?

Dragonfly92

22 Feb 2011, 8:15 am

emjay89 wrote:
dont know.
how olds the patient?

it could apply to any low functioning autistic of any age really. my cousin is (i think (I don't see him often)) in his late twenties.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:10 pm

thats a good question.the reality of the world is if your under 18 your under legal control of your parents.right now as the law stands thats a parental decision.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 12:24 am

Well I don't think there is a cure or ever would be......but I could see possible treatments that might help with severe cases, which I would support. But as for a complete cure I really don't even see that happening.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Feb 2011, 5:36 pm

This is indeed a very tough question. I think I would have to see if the child acted happy and satisfied with his/her existence. If the child acted happy and not showing signs of suffering, then I would be hesitant to give them the "cure." But if the child acted unhappy or miserable, then as a parent I would want to try to make them happy. And if a cure is what would give them that happiness, then I would be for it.

alice333
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2011, 2:05 pm

This question is illogical, my Asperger's isn't a thing I have, like a disease. It's something I am, physically and mentally, or rather I am just that type of person. When people talk about 'curing' people in this way I just find it creepy. It's like 'A Clockwork Orange' or something, only worse, not to mention completely impossible

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 5:50 pm

The question is not illogical as a form of autism by nature is a disability / difference in which individuals may choose to improve\change\modify aspects thereof by means of research marketed as cure(s).

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 6:55 pm

No. The individual has a right to his or her integrity. The individual-- any person-- has a right not to have his or her way of being altered, thereby transforming that individual into a different person entirely.

Why are you not okay with "a cure for autism" but totally fine with "a cure for low-functioning autism" as if it were a different thing? It's because you haven't truly accepted that different ways of being are all valid, normal or not-- you've just expanded your definition of "close enough to normal to deserve acceptance" to include you. You buy into the myth that you cannot argue the rights of everyone because there are inferior, undeserving people out there who are Not Like You because they're Low-Functioning and therefore it's okay, even commendable, to do whatever you want to them. After all, they're not really people, so it's okay to violate them.

But it wouldn't be okay to violate you. Why? Not because you're inherently valuable just for having a soul, because so are those you call low-functioning, but because you have skills and are useful.

Okay. Go on and believe that, then, I can't stop you, but I disagree with you.

NOT A DOCTOR

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 7:03 pm

Are you talking to me?

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 7:12 pm

I'm speaking to everyone who is in favor of a cure for "low-functioning" autistics (i.e., people who can't object), but not "high-functioning" autistics (i.e., whatever group they belong to).

NOT A DOCTOR

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 7:16 pm

Until age eighteen I believe parents have the majority right less a procedure endangers and after eighteen if found to be incapable is thus conserved. The preservation of an individual rights cannot evade a collective right for cure advancements of course. However these ethics of the retention of choice in youth and in adulthood while complex are subjective in nature given that even while conserved or under the age of eighteen certain rights are held intact. Moreover these such legalities are best defined by attorney's and not myself. I only know generalities for reasons of public relations in context to inclusion. My intent is to preserve individual choice regardless of "peer pressure" and related social politics.

Suggested Sub-topics

1. Public perceptions of autism and the reduction of the rights of choice legally in a democratic system.

2. Ethics of the existence of pride vs. the right to treatments (cures) as social persuasion politics. Related* the image of autism in the macro sphere and the existence of prenatal abortion politics and or self-esteem social correctness politics.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 9:32 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
I'm speaking to everyone who is in favor of a cure for "low-functioning" autistics (i.e., people who can't object), but not "high-functioning" autistics (i.e., whatever group they belong to).

First define what high functioning and low functioning is without resorting to DSM IV is then decide if the person is happy to be changed. If the young person is being zapped with high voltage by Lovaas in his UCLA laboratory for his "own good" to make him NT then I think the answer is no. If the there is a pill that makes one "NT" (whatever that is) so they don't get hassled by the Lovaas "I'm doing autistics a favour" mob then the answer would be maybee. If the pill also saves them from condescending NT adults and NT bullies then the answer is most probably,

If however the child is surrounded by loving parents, an understanding community and has access to internet technology and friends to communicate when he/she feels like it then that child with low functioning autism will feel a sense of belonging and comfort in who they are and would never want to change. I mean who really wants to be an NT, they've made a bit of a mess throughout history.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 1:42 am

The world view of making everyone else into the N.T or of the N.T philosophy, mentality and or construct if it is not the aspie political view is just mind warping.