Page 5 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:36 pm

I think your side lacks evidence and wants to hide behind the idea you are always victims of others perceptions. I can remember being told I was like Bill Gates when all I focused on was a computer interest. I never took it to seriously. The Einstein idea and autism while maybe not entirely fictions is taken far too seriously. Autism is a disability and it is a disability label so people can get the services and supports they need. Labeling someone to help people who cannot reasonably function without the help of others differs from hating them. While society certainly can make more accommodating room for diversity it will not be achieved by creating hard feelings and expressing how much smarter, better and superior I am then others. I am smart at certain things others with autism are not and smarter at some things then people without an ASD. However there are many with a form of autism and people without ASD that are smarter then me at other things. This for instance is not a misunderstanding it is fact. All humans have weaknesses and strengths but it's when one has a very hard time helping themselves that a diagnoses I think is necessary and not simply because someone is quirky as the at times self-diagnoses and fit into autism online social crowd have done sometimes.

The ability to hyper focus is both when applicable a bad and good thing. Matched with certain intellectual traits and interest it can manifest something like Einstein. However the disability aspects are what the DSM concerns.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

One thing I got to ask is , in this ideal community what proportion , ie what ratio of high functing to low functioning guys do you think will be the optimum? I mean you going to take on the role of looking after some seriously troubled LFA's right, once you have divorced yourself from all state support? How will you stop parents using it as dumping ground for kids late teens beyond their ability to cope? How would you be able to refuse?

Devious question I know, because if you don't take them in where will they go ? You might find yourself having to support some external iniatives, maybe a bit like Ci's ? Maybe its a positive relationship you should be building up here with him .

"Er Aspie48 we found another one outside the main gates, bagfull of clothes, Playstation, no ID ..."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:41 pm

aspie48 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
so what exactly is the polictical agenda of your autistic supremacy group,i dont think anything could be dumber than AS or asan so what could i gain by joining this orgnizaton

my political agenda is to educate a new generation of autistic poeple to interact with other autistic people and learn self respect and free thinking that NTs have tried to crush. We will take pride in our autism. On the practical side, I plan to establish large autism-run businesses so that we are an essential part of our society and we will not be removed because of that. I am going to particularly focus on agriculture and software development. My movement is mostly for my school aged friends, so like 15 or so. The end goal is described here http://autism-supremacy.webs.com/apps/b ... tic-future

Not that I would want to live in an autistic only community, but if I did the idea of having the exact same corporate set up that already exists only ran by people with autism that would be a turn off.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:44 pm

Really? this is what it says on that lovely little autism supremacy site:

Someday I want to live in a perfect world. I want to live the American dream in my own autistic way. I want to have lengthy discussions with an asperger friend or neighbor. I want to have a job that pays well in an accepting workplace where bosses and management are autistic. I want to be able to walk down the street without hateful looks from bigoted non autistic people. I want to support a family, drive a new car, and own a reasonably comfortable house. I want to go on holidays and business trips where I can relax with autistic friends. I want to listen to music made by autistic people, see museums of autistic culture and art. I want to watch a football game between autistic teams. I want to be able to look out the window and see kids riding scooters in circles, flapping their hands happily, playing a game with friends, discussing special interests, and hanging out. I want to go to parties where you don't have to have bright lights, loud music, or alcohol to have fun. I want to stim at parties or with friends. If I have kids I want to send them to a school with autistic teachers. I want kids to learn about the accomplishments and good affects of autistic people on our society. I want them to take pride in our superior autistic culture. I would keep my kids away from anyone who doesn't have autism because they might hurt my kids or be a bad influence. In order to make this future happen autistic people must work hard, keep looking forward and fight our way out of the hole that non autistic people have put us in

OK great and what we are supposed to treat anyone without autism like a piece of crap? sorry but I do not agree at all, there is nothing perfect about that.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

memesplice wrote:
One thing I got to ask is , in this ideal community what proportion , ie what ratio of high functing to low functioning guys do you think will be the optimum? I mean you going to take on the role of looking after some seriously troubled LFA's right, once you have divorced yourself from all state support? How will you stop parents using it as dumping ground for kids late teens beyond their ability to cope? How would you be able to refuse?

Devious question I know, because if you don't take them in where will they go ? You might find yourself having to support some external iniatives, maybe a bit like Ci's ? Maybe its a positive relationship you should be building up here with him .

"Er Aspie48 we found another one outside the main gates, bagfull of clothes, Playstation, no ID ..."

Well, I mean i admire that ci does the right thing but i think that doing the right thing for the right reasons is also important. And i don't think I would just "look after" LFA's i would find a job that they had a talent in and pay them to do it.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:30 pm

If you get enough IT skills, education, and credentials, you can always move to Silicon Valley, get rich and live with what some estimate as a population of nearly 50 percent of people with traits of Autism. No one is trying to kick any of those people of out of their community, they are thriving there. Similar trends are occuring in the area around Massachusetts Institute of Technology. If you truly have the brilliant knowledge in IT, that you talk about, that niche is out there for you already, if you work hard and take advantage of it, as the other thousands of people with traits of Autism have done. You state you friends have these IT abilities too, so if you all work hard, do good in school, and stay out of trouble with the law, you might get there one day.

And, the highest rates of Autistic children are found in Silicon Valley, in the US, so chances are your children, if they have Autism, may have a greater chance of interacting with other Autistic children.

The Amish have done something like this, but they have a tradition that dates back over a hundred of years, ago, bound by religion. They have separated themselves from society, but they have also separated themselves almost all the technological advances of society to make it feasible. A good place for agricultural pursuits, but a bad place for technology pursuits.

The honest truth whether we want to admit it or not, is that in general people with Autistic traits aren't the great inventors of society, they focus more on the parts of things that work in society. It's just not something we are normally cut out to do. Integrating into an already available niche is a realistic goal, and at least they are available. IT is certainly not the only one, there is engineering, science, mathematics, and hands on mechanical fields, full of people with traits associated with Autism. And that is just a small list of examples.

Wherever you choose to live, it doesn't really matter who your neighbors are anymore, people keep to themselves for the most part behind fences and the doors of their homes and vehicles.

Your niche in society is already here, if you can gain the credentials necessary to be part of it. It's just a matter of getting out of school and reaching the destination, if you work hard enough to get there.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

thats good advice i said somewhere that i wanted to do IT or agriculture, agriculture has some aspies too.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:43 pm

Reasons , now you are going to get into some very difficult grounds when you start arguing reasons . I'm going to be ash and dust before you have to figure this one out, so looking back, if you ask me, what were think were reasons at the time, often turn out to be something else. I don't want to spoil the exprience for you, so I'll leave it at that.

I like the ideas you have developed about farming and high end technological products. I like the idea you are thinking about things that will benefit yourselves and other people. I see you doing something maybe like an Amish/Quaker community if you get it together. Doing no harm, going one better than doing no harm.

If I were to come to this place I would love to see you reach out and treat the NT with more respect and love than they have ever shown you or each other. That would be a sound measure and demonstration of your evolution beyond them . That would make many of us proud, I guess, all those guys in this time saying we shouldn't even exist in the genepool, weshould be aborted, the erradicate-heads, and you proved them all wrong , and not only that ,you gone beyond them - now that's a quiet victory , that feels so good it doesn't have to be spoken, only demonstrated.

Meme.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:44 pm

ahogday- Amish! :) mirror-bump.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 6:01 pm

According to professionals high functioning in autism is anyone able to verbally express themselves. So high functioning has a realm of functioning as well. When I refer to very high functioning I'm speaking of those who by federal law would not qualify for disability insurance and of which are able to attend college full time and succeed and so on. Categorizing myself and others who are disabled as low functioning simply for the sake of these very high functioning individuals that cause political problems over such small matter (of which I'd happily correct their attitudes when needed) is simply unnecessarily. I am higher functioning but I also am disabled and am not ashamed of that fact. People that were diagnosed with autism who end up not experiencing life long symptoms that prevent normal inclusive adaptation ought to just let go of the term. They are welcome to help but some of them have caused so many problems and can be down right nasty toward efforts that are really not for them in their self-centered views of autism.

I and others will not be shamed into speaking and believing in superiority and anything otherwise is a disability bigotry for the sake of their politics. I am perfectly stable minded with expressing that indeed I have a disability called autism and this or that is the help I need.

I will join with others to fight far reaching stereotypes such as autism and violence for the sake of the criminal justice system views of autism and societal understandings but I will not allow any weakness of my need for ego in context for autism to disfranchise others in their obvious needs of help over my self-image of a diagnostic label.

When I post this video I mean it towards the very high functioning people with autism who cuase too many political problems and end up harming the efforts and those who help myself and others. I'd also like to share this rarity of textual symbol toward the likes of ASAN who call compassion pity and loving people disability bigots. ( ..!., ) . I do not flip the bird to many but in all of my mind I feel it is well deserved toward those extremist pride folks who make small matters into great injustices in reckless indifference to those who need much more help then they do as higher educated college students and a few of which working to complete advanced degrees like a PHD. My back is turned to them in disgust at their profound intolerance of those who help.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eaGuzog59c&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:15 pm

Autistic pride organizations are not run by super successfull people like Bill Gates who promote autism as a fad but rather by people who have in fact been disposessed by society. Yes it is true that most if not all of us are verbally fluent but nevertheless we are outcasts of society. Ari Ne'eman for example was not placed in some trendy alternative school when he was having problems but the fact is they sent him to a special education ret*d school where he simply was not challenged academically and the only vocational training he received was in menial tasks like dishwashing. Other founders of autistic pride organiaztions and even myself have been threatened with incarceration in mental institutions. Although these were idle threats the fact remains that if neurotypicals cannot send us to mental institutions they can certainly kick us out of their schools and jobs.

You act like all of these high functioning autistics are working on their multiple Doctorate degrees. This is exception rather than the norm. Even Einstein struggled in college and was barely able to make C grades. I do far worse and get D's in my math classes.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:09 pm

Autistic pride organizations are not run by super successfull people like Bill Gates who promote autism as a fad but rather by people who have in fact been disposessed by society.

“You will not succeed by pointing all of the blame on society but will rather succeed by creating and offering solutions to society. This is the tactic of hard feelings and a discord of reprisals. If you treat society as you imagine it to be when for certain I know each member is not as you say you are increasing the odds of your failure by creating the societal despondency you imagine. “

Yes it is true that most if not all of us are verbally fluent but nevertheless we are outcasts of society.

“Read the above. No one akin to your philosophy will ever partake in the public relations I endorse. You need to revise your approach as it is damaging universally. In order to protect those that have nothing to do with your words I do not endorse it."

Ari Ne'eman for example was not placed in some trendy alternative school when he was having problems but the fact is they sent him to a special education ret*d school where he simply was not challenged academically and the only vocational training he received was in menial tasks like dishwashing.

“The foul mouth R word usage is a disservice to myself, others and those least fortunate. I’d happily clean a movie theatre over being paid much more working to praise your captain who guilts otherwise nice people about non-relevant issues such as abortion to get his way. Meanwhile issues he brings up that deserve attention are more likely to be ignored because of his and others very bad approaches to otherwise important matters most would help with. Ari Ne’eman is a political strategist that uses under handed tactics to make people believe he and others are naturally hated to use anger to garnish loyalty. “

Other founders of autistic pride organiaztions and even myself have been threatened with incarceration in mental institutions. Although these were idle threats the fact remains that if neurotypicals cannot send us to mental institutions they can certainly kick us out of their schools and jobs.

“To generalize. I’d be happy to stand up for the facts of specific cases but as a whole it’s just the built up anger of the them vs. us”.

You act like all of these high functioning autistics are working on their multiple Doctorate degrees. This is exception rather than the norm. Even Einstein struggled in college and was barely able to make C grades. I do far worse and get D's in my math classes.

I am saying that we only see these such individuals who are expecting me and others to be lolled along with their strategies being catered to as leaders of ASAN in their central platform. Refusing to allow members to vote, members unique opinions to be empowered and expressed by their platform and only allowed a force fed approach to matters their functional elite allows. It’s not a civil rights organization to empower civil rights but a special interest organization empowering certain opinions and extremely poor methods of approach that I could easily argue to save us all from the backlash that they did it on purpose. Tell Ari and the board more and more are not going along with their game and agenda.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:56 pm

Hey, ci i find you just downright insulting. I put my life story on the top and if you read it you would know i have a tough time with NTs and their society (thats an understatement). something needs to be done. I am willing to make change happen for me and any autistic people who will support me so our lives can be better. That is my message, please actually read it and reply relevantly do us all a service ci.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:11 pm

I have read it. I experienced bad things to and so have others. That does not make it ok to lead in ways that promote unnecessary despondency, hard feelings and perpetuate anger. I believe well balanced approaches do not need to alienate those who help and are already open minded like what ASAN has done. they have made a perfectly good opportunity very awkward and unproductive. They could have continued with growing media coverage with a more balanced approach that actually resulted in more progress but because of poor approaches progress has been slowed. Instead their approach has created despondency and an avoidance of autism self-advocates. In my past reply I'm speaking in context to ASAN. With regards to yourself I can only contribute your need for superiority as a coping mechanism with an indirect judgement of being considered disabled. While natural in part to devise a whole life philosophy around the idea of a responsive superiority I believe you are wasting your time in what could otherwise be a much more successful life. Pinning one group against the other type group and outright proclaiming superiority is a wrong minded approach. The idea of autism being a disability is no where nearly equal to that kind of approach to justify your approach.

I do not in anyway accept that your insulted but rather your using it as a tool to push your objective on me and it won't work.

Gallowglass
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2011, 10:23 pm

Nathan

Stop bullying the kid.

He is trying to work out a way forward that does not involve grovelling.He does not need your arrogant comments.

Do you ever consider anybody else might have a valid point of view? A marketing strategy for selling candles based upon "compassion" does not make you an expert on realpolitik nor does it entitle you to knock other people.

This guy has had a bad time and is trying to put together a cogent philosophy and strategy that will maximise his chances of a happy and successful life. I think his strategy needs some work and nomenclature changes as "supremacy" clearly gets people's backs up.

However, I think that knocking him in this manner is arrogant and unkind.

Last edited by Gallowglass on 29 Jul 2011, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 10:25 pm

I provided him with insights, suggestions and a bit of tough love. IT's good for him. On the other hand you are far being a saint yourself with some of the remarks you make. According to you I'm on meth, a drunk and unable to lead according to your arrogance because of learning disabilities and just for disagreeing with you. Your arguments are a joke in context to me on this forum and so is your judgement I am some kind of bully for saying it how it is in the real world and how to deal with the real world. If he persist with this mentality it may end up cuasing him more trouble and alter his future for the worse. I highly recommend just paying less attention to the concept of autism as a whole and more on ones own personal goals outside of the scope of a disorder label. It's holding more then some back on this forum.