Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

Does Autism Speaks seem to have an opinion on gay rights or just autism? I haven't looked them up recently since most of their crap has disgusted me.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

I'd be surprised if they did as an organization. It wouldn't help them one way or the other so it would just cause them needless conflict.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

Knowing their stance on autism, they’d probably want to “cure” homosexuality as well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

Peko wrote:
Does Autism Speaks seem to have an opinion on gay rights or just autism? I haven't looked them up recently since most of their crap has disgusted me.

There is no reason why they should, as there is no causal connections between autism and homosexuality; only anecdotal correlations that do not pan out when examined closely.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
There is no reason why they should, as there is no causal connections between autism and homosexuality; only anecdotal correlations that do not pan out when examined closely.

This is what I tend to see regarding asexuality, but I haven't heard of a link between autism and homosexuality :?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

Jory wrote:
Knowing their stance on autism, they’d probably want to “cure” homosexuality as well.

^ THIS ^

I wonder if Autism Speaks endorses or will endorse Michele Bachmann?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 8:59 pm

Jory wrote:

Being gay doesn't affect your life in the same way as autism does. Fail.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

Delirium wrote:

On some issues, I think there might be few similarities.

If this was the 50's though, they probably would try to cure homosexuality on autistics.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

Delirium wrote:

In a way, yes, it does. I've heard people say that you don't suffer from autism, you suffer from the people around you who don't understand you. And you can certainly say the same about being gay. Still, it's a waste of time trying to connect the two.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

I totally agree . Autism is not a disease but rather people suffer from autism because autistics are misunderstood.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

Jory wrote:
Delirium wrote:

In a way, yes, it does. I've heard people say that you don't suffer from autism, you suffer from the people around you who don't understand you. And you can certainly say the same about being gay. Still, it's a waste of time trying to connect the two.

I'm gonna assume you've never been around any low-functioning autistics.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

I said they're similar in one way, not every way.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

I think that even low functioning autistics are misunderstood.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 8:20 pm

blunnet wrote:
Fnord wrote:

This is what I tend to see regarding asexuality, but I haven't heard of a link between autism and homosexuality :?

Well there's literal comparisons and then there's metaphorical. It's more metaphorical in a sense...you know how alot of people say that no one can change their sexual orientation anymore than anyone can change the color of their skin. Honestly I think autism has far more in common with homosexuality than race does. Much of the similarities come from the idea that most of an ignorant society believes that we're capable of changing those little things about us that have been part of our nature since birth and that most people wouldn't know we were one thing or another until we present ourselves in that way or let someone in on it.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:52 am

Delirium wrote:
Jory wrote:
Delirium wrote:

I'm gonna assume you've never been around any low-functioning autistics.

I'm gonna assume you're lumping us together with people that have extra disorders.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

Jory wrote:
Delirium wrote:

Yes but as far as I know most NT gays can communitcate just find and don't have all those issues with social interaction, eye contact, sensory overload and other issues. so its more likely their suffering will come mostly from other people having a problem with their sexuality......in my case even if people had treated me well I would still be sensative to light, I still would not be able to make eye concat and I still would have issues with social interaction.