Neurodiversity is not a 'nice word for autism supremacy'!

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JuggaspieZ2k
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Feb 2012, 11:20 am

We don't think we are better than anyone else, we think that autism is a difference to be cherished. We do not oppose all therapies for LFA, we oppose harsh therapies such as chelation and punishment with electricity. We don't think that we are possessed or covered up by our autism. We are our autism! We oppose restricting non-harmful stimming because we know it doesn't put LFA in their own world. They would want to be in our world if we treated them right!

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

Nicely put.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

I think I agree, though I put more emphasis on explaining us as a cultural movement.

What's LFA?

Medanthro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2012, 1:06 pm

webcam wrote:
I think I agree, though I put more emphasis on explaining us as a cultural movement.

What's LFA?

Low Functioning Autism, or whatever that means.

I am for the culture movement and looking for participants in Georgia. Please PM

DreamLord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

We are better than them but it is their world. Thats how I see it. Saying that there are plenty on the spectrum who hardly qualify as worthy souls.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 2:12 pm

DreamLord wrote:
We are better than them but it is their world. Thats how I see it. Saying that there are plenty on the spectrum who hardly qualify as worthy souls.
not sure what you mean

DreamLord

16 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
DreamLord wrote:
not sure what you mean

Few people do. I suppose I see people on the spectrum as not quite belonging to this world, or at least some of us don't. I personally believe we are older souls than the rest of humanity, not quite belonging to the physical world that we dwell in. It seems to apply to many I know, to some I have experienced only the not belonging makes sense and not the spiritual superiority.

I guess its a hard theory to understand, I barely do.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 3:05 pm

DreamLord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
DreamLord wrote:
not sure what you mean

Few people do. I suppose I see people on the spectrum as not quite belonging to this world, or at least some of us don't. I personally believe we are older souls than the rest of humanity, not quite belonging to the physical world that we dwell in. It seems to apply to many I know, to some I have experienced only the not belonging makes sense and not the spiritual superiority.

I guess its a hard theory to understand, I barely do.

We are outnumbered and it can be difficult to express oneself as a minority, esp when we are termed as ppl with a disease. We are not better than they are a the purist sense, but we have rare aptitudes that they wouldn't likely understand. We also carry them within us, our children might well be neurotypical and deserve every bit of encouragement and cultivation we would give an aspie child. But as different neurological phenotypes, the attention we give will vary. The best thing we could do is properly educate our children on neurodiversity from an early age so they understand that different kinds of children need different kinds of cultivation. Just as we fertilize different plants with different fertilizers, we teach different kids in different ways. What is most important is that we become homogenous in our existence with our fellow man and that our children know how to argue for mutual acceptance and understanding.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:26 pm

There is no "they."

There is only "us."

We are all on the same ship, making the same journey.

I have met the enemy and he is us.

God help us everyone.

We are screwed.

Screwed together.

As planks on a shaky platform.

High in the wind.

Swaying to and fro.

Blown by whatever wind captures us.

Forever.

Or until we get off our pedestal and put our feet back on the ground.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 7:26 pm

JuggaspieZ2k wrote:
We don't think we are better than anyone else, we think that autism is a difference to be cherished. We do not oppose all therapies for LFA, we oppose harsh therapies such as chelation and punishment with electricity. We don't think that we are possessed or covered up by our autism. We are our autism! We oppose restricting non-harmful stimming because we know it doesn't put LFA in their own world. They would want to be in our world if we treated them right!

I think many of you do think you're better than some others. Electricity isn't a therapy, and you know that. You're just saying that to make the prospect of any substantial therapy seem pathetic and dangerous, while you still oppose any effort to make a real cure. You're not just there to "cherish" autism. Those advocating it are trying to keep disability around in those who have it, just as long as they themselves aren't impaired. It's a bunch of high-functioners with loads of aptitude/skills/ability etc., trying to keep the lower functioning ones, who have a devastating lack of those things, from attaining them through cure. The anti-cure crowd wants to keep all of their "gifts" for themselves.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 7:29 pm

Wow, that's a very ignorant and paranoid way of thinking. I am pro-cure. I want all the NT's to be capable of the abilities that we have...

:lol:

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 8:20 pm

dalurker wrote:
JuggaspieZ2k wrote:

I think many of you do think you're better than some others. Electricity isn't a therapy, and you know that. You're just saying that to make the prospect of any substantial therapy seem pathetic and dangerous, while you still oppose any effort to make a real cure. You're not just there to "cherish" autism. Those advocating it are trying to keep disability around in those who have it, just as long as they themselves aren't impaired. It's a bunch of high-functioners with loads of aptitude/skills/ability etc., trying to keep the lower functioning ones, who have a devastating lack of those things, from attaining them through cure. The anti-cure crowd wants to keep all of their "gifts" for themselves.

I think we should wait and see with the LFAs. For all we know they are just evolving differently and we have no right to cut within any category... Evolution takes a really really long time and we don't yet know all of the mechanics involved. They may seem to be a lesser race, but their difference in genetics precipitates a different path of change. Until we can accurately predict that path, changing it could result in less diversity among our kind.

Of course their are other solutions I just came up with (exposing cultivated germlines to germline viruses and other experiments that mirror evolution)... what doesn't kill you may make you stronger), but they aren't possible until we can more accurately predict genetics and understand genetic histories... but it really doesn't matter until we control our own destiny...

The important part is that we someday own the research and know it well enough to predict a person based on genetic expression.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 8:24 pm

Magneto wrote:
Wow, that's a very ignorant and paranoid way of thinking. I am pro-cure. I want all the NT's to be capable of the abilities that we have...

Who is this "we"? I think you have too many abilities. You should have some removed.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

Magneto wrote:

I've often wondered why they wouldn't want to be like us... But I guess they like their style of emotionalism... I still want to be able to understand it intuitively and continue trying to understand it without genetic modification, but I wouldn't want to give up what I have.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 8:35 pm

webcam wrote:
I think we should wait and see with the LFAs. For all we know they are just evolving differently and we have no right to cut within any category... Evolution takes a really really long time and we don't yet know all of the mechanics involved. They may seem to be a lesser race, but their difference in genetics precipitates a different path of change. Until we can accurately predict that path, changing it could result in less diversity among our kind.

Of course their are other solutions I just came up with (exposing cultivated germlines to germline viruses and other experiments that mirror evolution)... what doesn't kill you may make you stronger), but they aren't possible until we can more accurately predict genetics and understand genetic histories... but it really doesn't matter until we control our own destiny...

The important part is that we someday own the research and know it well enough to predict a person based on genetic expression.

The technological capacity is much higher today. We're capable of knowing what to do to help, when the genes are identified, and known for what they do and how they're regulated. Gene therapy is going through advances too. They aren't evolving differently. They're being negatively selected against. They're bearing the losses of the random processes that produce genetic variation. Genetic diversity can be managed. Someday, the knowledge to predict and understand the consequences/value of certain variations may exist. Experiments that simulate evolution seem like a great idea. We don't need to leave things up to chaos and volatility any longer. There should be plans made to prevent genetic factors from damaging individuals' functioning.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 9:57 pm

dalurker wrote:
Magneto wrote:

Who is this "we"? I think you have too many abilities. You should have some removed.

Removed? I think he just wanted to share what he has. Were you being charitable in a rough/sarcasm sort of way? I know we like trying NT sarcasm to give ppl the lols, but I for one rarely get it right... I usually wind up laughing at myself.