Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Scythe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

I found the episode to represent societies problem of being in denial about a real existing condition. I got laughs and I don't get offended that easy but I was disappointed with their idea that it is a pop cultural thing and exaggerating it to those lengths. Yeah their are douches who fake for either money or because for some reason they have it in their head that its cool or something but for those of us who really have a severe socially deficiency it is antagonizing. Especially when society is so deep in denial.

I mean their was no real indication that Stan was really afflicted with the condition when he simply suffered from depression considering he did not have social struggles. They made Aspergers out to be people who act like asses just for attention and use it as an excuse. Nothing to do with inability to read body language, face contact and general troubles. In short South Park as of lately has gotten lazy and ignorant. At one time they occasionally had a thought provocative message but now its just a convoluted mess of bad jokes and confused political ideology that gets lost on me. Cheap gags and jokes that the general populace has become their master. They sold out to the masses. Whatever sounds good to the majority is what they agree with now.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 12:20 pm

I just watched the episode this morning on the southparkstudios.com because I don't have cable or satellite TV.

I did keep an open mind because I have seen enough episodes to know when the creators of south park make a show with a certian subject as a condition as Autism or anything else that they will twist it to a level so much. I think they should have done it that way they should do a PSA during the credits to inform that the condition is a Real thing and is WAY different or something.

So I am not suprised that they did that know what they have done in the past. For example Season 15 Episode 1

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

It wasn't Asperger's itself they were making fun of it.

It was a pronunciation of the name and more of a stab against the autism 'epidemic' and vaccinations.

It wasn't a good episode, regardless.

Scythe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

I did find it hilariously ironic I have a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey in the fridge right now. If anything funny came out of that episode it was that simple seed of irony. That and Stan bursting through the window shooting everything in sight. lol Other than that is was a poorly done episode which I found it hard to determine if they were trying to make a political statement or just use pointless stupid humor like they do sometimes. Perhaps they can redeem themselves in the next episode.

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2011, 2:42 pm

If Jameson is a temporary antidote for lameness, then have some on hand before you watch this episode.

Dragonfly92
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2011, 3:58 pm

Actually, just because South Park depicts something as not being real, dosen't necessarily mean they are saying it isn't real. For instance there was an episode where Barack Obama was a master jewel theif. Does that mean they're saying he isn't the president? Nope.

Aspergers in this episode was mainly used as a plot device to introduce the 'secret society of cynics' in order to make a matrix parody. Another reason it's in the episode is because the american pronunciation of the word sounds like 'ass burgers' which the creators of South Park felt the need to poke fun at.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't handle aspergers they way they did tourettes, but I still enjoyed the episode.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 11:14 pm

It was a good episode it made me laugh :lol:

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm

What I find funny is the fact that they didn't even make fun of aspies in the episode, and it wasn't really even about aspergers, at least not incredibly obviously. Either way, I don't see exactly what it is you think they're denying. And since when does south park appeal to the masses? I'll agree that this season hasn't been quite what I usually expect from Matt and Trey, but this particular episode was absolutely hilarious to me. There wasn't anything offensive about it whatsoever. If you were offended by it, I think you need to lighten up and learn to laugh at yourself once in a while. For one thing, the episode wasn't really even about you in the first place. For another, it's just a TV show made for the purpose of making people laugh.

If you think that Matt and Trey were portraying aspies in a negative light, making them appear to be complete fools, then you need to pay closer attention, and you totally miss the point of south park. There were only two aspie characters in that episode, and they were portrayed fairly accurately in the short time they were on the screen.

SkipNip
Raven
Raven

21 Oct 2011, 8:05 pm

In denial about what?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 12:13 am

I finally saw that episode and thought it was pretty funny.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 2:25 pm

It isn't in denial. It's just taking the mick about the bad characterization.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm

They have the Episode pulled on there site but it will say it will be back 11-5-11

Right now it says "DUE TO PRE-EXISTING CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS, WE CANNOT STREAM THIS EPISODE UNTIL
11.05.2011"

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 12:45 pm

markitzero wrote:
They have the Episode pulled on there site but it will say it will be back 11-5-11

Right now it says "DUE TO PRE-EXISTING CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS, WE CANNOT STREAM THIS EPISODE UNTIL
11.05.2011"

Now that is suspicious.

InsidesHorror
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2011, 10:57 pm

Glee did something like this did to.
To be honest it upsets me and offends me that they don't say that this is really a real thing and there are people who were diagnosed with it.

KingLes98
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2011, 4:10 am

I didn't find it offensive at all. I am disappointed that they didn't dive deeper into the issue well enough, I'm going to go on a wild guess here and say that they probably didn't do enough research to say enough about this issue. Other than that, the Matrix parody about life being sh***y and using liquor to go into "The Matrix" was clever, I wonder if they are saying that about the aspergers community. I didn't find Cartman's ass burgers joke funny (It's been done to death), It was actually obnoxious but not offensive.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 9:50 am

InsidesHorror wrote:
Glee did something like this did to.
To be honest it upsets me and offends me that they don't say that this is really a real thing and there are people who were diagnosed with it.

It is a bit disingenuous and all stinks of people just wanting to be more easily able to pick on other people by not having a diagnosis in their way.

Entangling social bull