Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 10:12 am

dr01dguy wrote:
Quote:

Give a hungry man a free meal, and he won't be hungry tonight.

Teach him to fish instead, and he won't be hungry again because he'll be able to help himself in the future.

I get frustrated by my executive dysfunction on a more or less daily basis, and would totally kill for a drug that does for executive dysfunction what Adderall/Dexedrine/Concerta does for lack of focus. ).

I know that medication can be very beneficial in many situations, but is it just a steady supply of "fish" in some instances? Throwing pills at everyone seems to be the go to solution for doctors anymore, when other solutions might be available. I want help learning to fish, not be a well fed pet.

ProfumoAffair
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2012, 3:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
webcam wrote:
The question is also about what they do with their money...

I know one thing: They're not using any of it to make my life better.

webcam wrote:
Weren't they the ones looking to find a genetic test so they could keep us from being born?

That seems to be the general consensus.

Consensus/fact

Prevention and cure of autism = bombard the vulnerable with forced therapy, abort the kids in the womb, ignore those who resist

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 3:44 pm

imo i think those folks just pocket the money and use just the LFA to give the majority of NTs more reason to steriotype us and pity us. That is what it looks like but i could be wrong, whenever i see an autism speaks ad i get rather annoyed by it.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 6:53 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
imo i think those folks just pocket the money and use just the LFA to give the majority of NTs more reason to steriotype us and pity us. That is what it looks like but i could be wrong, whenever i see an autism speaks ad i get rather annoyed by it.

They don't just pocket the money. They spend it on scientific research. You can't completely eliminate pity with the problems had by the LFA. They portray the LFA cause they're the ones with substantial problems. The charity is not there to nurture your self-love.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 7:12 pm

dr01dguy wrote:
but at the end of the day, I seriously doubt whether anybody involved with Autism Speaks ever sat down at any kind of meeting and said, "You know, I think we should make eugenics our official mission".

And if you look at a detailed history of fascism there wasn't a board meeting of nazi's where they sat down and decided that either. In attempting to build a utopia by any means it came about organically.

The ends don't justify the means and eradicating people for being a bit different is never justified.

NB: Except if they have ginger hair of course. Gingers are mingers and deserve death.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm

Quote:
And if you look at a detailed history of fascism there wasn't a board meeting of nazi's where they sat down and decided that either.

I suppose you've never heard of Wannsee. It's a nice, pleasant suburb of Berlin where top Nazi officials met on January 20, 1942 for that specific purpose (to hammer out the logistics of "the final solution"). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wannsee_Conference

In any case, I challenge you to find any shred of evidence that Autism Speaks is pursuing anything that remotely resembles "eugenics" as a matter of current policy. Right now, today. Not 5 years ago. Today.

Beating up a large, wealthy, influential organization with immense resources over an agenda it appears to have briefly pursued years ago (and abandoned quickly) is just plain silly. Its founders might have been misguided a decade ago, but they appear to have learned from their mistakes, and grown into a responsible organization.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm

IIRC, some of the pieces I've seen by them didn't just show LFA children. Rather, just children with autism.

Of course they'll show difficulties to garner support (but then, who with an ASD doesn't have severe difficulties? None).

They could easily show the severe behaviors that can manifest in AS, which are just as bad as any severe depiction of LFA (they're just different), if they wanted.

munch15a
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2012, 12:15 am

My biggest grip with only showing the worst case scenario is tomorrow whenIi go to my teacher and say I need more time on my assignment because blar blar melt down they will refuse to believe me because I’m not like those worst case scenario.