Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 6:02 am

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 6:53 am

Why blue? Blue is already associated to depression awareness campaigns... oh, oh you crafty Autism Speaks folk, subliminal perhaps? :P

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 7:02 am

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 11:19 am

i'm pretty sure the bridge is already blue... all year round.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 5:00 pm

nat4200 wrote:
Frieslander wrote:
http://www.mackinacbridge.org/index.php?action=news

article wrote:
ASD is a neurodevelopment disorder that affects a child's ability to communicate and socialize with others, and usually appears within a child's first three years.

8 mentions of child or children with autism, 2 of families, none of adults...

Also what does lighting up monuments with blue light do anyway, apart from showing NT organisations like Autism Speaks can convince other NTs to do dumb stuff and get free publicity for themselves in the process?! !

@Frieslander: I double dare you to go, if it's anything like the one I've just been to I bet you find it pretty unwelcoming and I bet whomever has organised it will subvert Autism Awareness day to claim it is all about children and their suffering families - I'm not against support for families - but even the UN rep at the event I went to tried to correct the organisation that they were misrepresenting the day :evil: :x

EDIT: actually I think in the US the event is actually "Autism SpeaksTM Light it up Blue"

You dare me to go to Autism Awareness day? To the bridge? The bridge a little more than 4.5 hours away. Not sure what you're daring me to do, but it looks to be mostly sarcasm.

Does everything that "neurotypicals" do in the name of ASDs a bad thing :? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

I admit that if the article does not mention the adults with ASDs, it is not the best.

I've crossed the bridge many times. It has many colors--and I think all the colors are lit at Christmas. I think they just light up certain colors for certain events at times.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 7:27 pm

The effort is sponsored by four organizations that focus on juvenile autism. They are attempting to get sponsorships to provide I-Pads to children in each of the four regions of Michigan on a daily basis through April, along with the effort to support the April Autism Awarness iniative.

The color blue is being used to identify autism awareness just like pink iniative for breast cancer awareness. The term blue used as an idiom for depressing. and the skyblue color for this initiative is completely unrelated.

If anything the skyblue color that is being used is a hopeful color, as is a clear blue sky. If I remember correctly part of the reason the color was chosen is because it is associated with male children, and autism is considered mostly to affect male children.

Most autism organizations in the US are focused almost entirely on juvenile autism. A large part of the issue, is that rates of Autism in Adults have not been accurately studied in the US. Most of the current statistics provided pertain to available statistics for children in the school systems for the developmentally disabled.

The LtGoverner of Michigan has a 4 year old daughter with autism, as he reports in this other link; the state government appears to be solidly behind this effort.

It's not that this event is against older individuals with Autism; it focuses on a specific demographic of autism; juvenile autism.

Until an organized effort focuses it's attention on Autistic Adults, which may come in the near future, as the greater number of children identified with autism in the last decade become adults, it's likely the focus on children will continue.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 7:31 pm

aghogday wrote:

The effort is sponsored by four organizations that focus on juvenile autism. They are attempting to get sponsorships to provide I-Pads to children in each of the four regions of Michigan on a daily basis through April, along with the effort to support the April Autism Awarness iniative.

The color blue is being used to identify autism awareness just like pink iniative for breast cancer awareness. The term blue used as an idiom for depressing. and the skyblue color for this initiative is completely unrelated.

If anything the skyblue color that is being used is a hopeful color, as is a clear blue sky. If I remember correctly part of the reason the color was chosen is because it is associated with male children, and autism is considered mostly to affect male children.

Most autism organizations in the US are focused almost entirely on juvenile autism. A large part of the issue, is that rates of Autism in Adults have not been accurately studied in the US. Most of the current statistics provided pertain to available statistics for children in the school systems for the developmentally disabled.

The LtGoverner of Michigan has a 4 year old daughter with autism, as he reports in this other link; the state government appears to be solidly behind this effort.

It's not that this event is against older individuals with Autism; it focuses on a specific demographic of autism; juvenile autism.

Until an organized effort focuses it's attention on Autistic Adults, which may come in the near future, as the greater number of children identified with autism in the last decade become adults, it's likely the focus on children will continue.

:hail: :hail: