Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

tabby676
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2012, 6:38 pm

why is it when I google Autistic mom, mom with Autism, Aspie mom, Aspergers Mom, etc. all I get is stuff about/for NT moms of kids on the spectrum, (mostly back patting and commiseration sites I might add), and a repetitively reposted story of a mom who is autistic who killed her kids.

Are there any decent resources/sites/etc. for moms on the spectrum?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 8:02 pm

Try checking out some of the forums here for help. We have a bunch of different ones here. The ones most likely to offer the help you are looking for are:

- General Discussion
- Women's Discussion
- In-Depth Adult Life Discussion (more for the over 30 crowd, but may cover raising kids, and marriage issues.)

Unfortunately, the Parent's Discussion forum seems to be geared towards the NT parents of kids on the spectrum. :(

There are several other forums here that may help with specific areas which you didn't mention. Just check out the whole list of forums to see what may apply to your needs and interests. :D

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 8:20 pm

I think there are a lot of Autistic moms on the forums here who also sometimes post in the Parenting section (since their kids are Autistic, too), so maybe you can look for some. Try looking for the Parenting section, and then going to people's profiles and seeing if they have Autism or if they're just Neurotypical.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 1:19 pm

Well, I'm pretty pissed-off and cynical at this point, so I don't know if I'll have anything good to say...

...but "Aspie" and "mom" are definitely two words that describe me. I'll be happy to talk to you about it.

I think you don't hear a lot about it because most AS parents out there are keeping a low profile.

The majority of us are still old enough that you had to show some pretty serious symptoms to get a diagnosis in adolescence...

...and most of us are savvy enough to avoid getting a diagnosis, with all the stereotyped judgmental s**t that goes along with it, in adulthood.

Then there's me, the resident idiot, who thinks about accurate data first, how that can solve problems second, and how judgmentality and social standards are going to play into the situation, like, twenty-fifth.

Typical stupid Aspie mistake.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:20 pm

Because neurotypical people can't help but appropriate. "Autism parents" and their ilk are hugely frustrating when you're trying to find good, relevant information because their voices dominate our spaces. I've had some decent luck on the tumblr "actuallyautistic" tag, there is at least one autistic mother of autistic children who posts there.
the "autism" and "aspergers" tags are full of awful though.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

MusicMama
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

I haven't been officially dx, but there's no doubt in anyone's mind (of the people who know) that I have AS and I'm a mom. Feel free to message me if you'd like. I also wish that there was more support for moms who have AS/autism... maybe someone (not me...) should start such a place or a thread or something? I'd gladly join it!! ! Or this thread could be such a place if you wanted it to be...

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 4:27 am

questor wrote:
Unfortunately, the Parent's Discussion forum seems to be geared towards the NT parents of kids on the spectrum. :(
I've not found this to be so. A high percentage of the parents on there either have autism/ADHD/some other diagnosis or they suspect they are somewhere on the spectrum (like me). However, some threads can become one sided and arguments can occur. A recent thread comes to mind where the OP only seemed to be accepting of advice from other confirmed NTs, which I found personally offensive. But on the whole, I'd say you find lots of people like the OP there and it's a very good resource.