The Awful Inhumanity of Using Bleach Enemas to Treat Auties

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

godoftruemercy
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2012, 11:40 pm

I'll just leave this here for your viewing horror.

http://io9.com/5916354/the-awful-inhuma ... c-children

I think we've found our generation's lobotomy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:46 pm

godoftruemercy wrote:
I'll just leave this here for your viewing horror.

http://io9.com/5916354/the-awful-inhuma ... c-children

I think we've found our generation's lobotomy.

I think there are two other threads on this, and normally I would say three threads on the same topic is redundant...but the more people who hear about this the better. I mean it terrible, and how is it even legal anywhere? I mean if feeding kids bleach isn't obvious child abuse I don't know what is.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 12:07 am

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 12:19 am

Seriously, just wtf.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 4:38 am

Holy crap, this is bizarre on a couple of levels. 8O
One, because its batshit-crazy-people-bizarre, and two because as it happens I put bleach in my auties bath about once a week to keep his seborrhoeic dermatitis at bay (two small capfuls does an awesome job). Not only that but he drinks some of it as he cruises around doing a basking shark impression. So I'm sort of accidentally following their 'protocol'.

Therefore shouldn't my boy be talking by now?! :roll:

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jun 2012, 5:21 am

The original articles talk about MMS enimas (and there seem to be this stuff in tablet form also) which is based on sodium chlorite.

Maybe I have missed something, but it seemed to me that only the media and kneejerk-parents were labelling the stuff as 'bleach' or chlorine. The active ingredient (NaClO2) that is supposedly in MMS, is ideed very alkaline but when acidified it forms the gas chlorine dioxide (ClO2) which smells the same as chlorine.

They claim that there have been some successes with this treatment ; ok very small numbers, and not a proper scientific trial, so I am not going to take much notice of that.

But let's just say that MMS stuff (which I am pretty sure has been confused with household bleach) , just say, happens to be later proven to help some cases of autism, in properly controlled scientific trials?

Unlikely that would happen. But on the other hand, why do you guys 'know' that it won't work?

It seems very cruel indeed, but then would this suddenly not be cruel anymore if it suddenly gained some scientific evidence of success?

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 5:45 am

Chris71 wrote:
The original articles talk about MMS enimas (and there seem to be this stuff in tablet form also) which is based on sodium chlorite.

Maybe I have missed something, but it seemed to me that only the media and kneejerk-parents were labelling the stuff as 'bleach' or chlorine. The active ingredient (NaClO2) that is supposedly in MMS, is ideed very alkaline but when acidified it forms the gas chlorine dioxide (ClO2) which smells the same as chlorine.

They claim that there have been some successes with this treatment ; ok very small numbers, and not a proper scientific trial, so I am not going to take much notice of that.

But let's just say that MMS stuff (which I am pretty sure has been confused with household bleach) , just say, happens to be later proven to help some cases of autism, in properly controlled scientific trials?

Unlikely that would happen. But on the other hand, why do you guys 'know' that it won't work?

It seems very cruel indeed, but then would this suddenly not be cruel anymore if it suddenly gained some scientific evidence of success?

Ok, imagine that instead of what they are doing here, the Protocol involved holding little bells up and tinkling them over the childs head while singing Christmas carols. Thats OK..unlikely to work/a bit whack/pointless but no-one hurt.

The not OK thing is forcing kids to have enemas with chemicals, something that is unproven. Unpleasant at best, dangerous at worst.
And yeah my mind is open to random discoveries, and the odd crazy person being right, but science should always be able to back it up, if not to understand the mechanism then at least repeatable evidence based results. The scientific method is the basis of everything worthwhile we do IMO. I think about this when I am flying in an aeroplane; the wings do not hold the plane up due to wishful thinking and hearsay.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 7:53 am

this treatment sounds like a real pain in the ass.
what are they hoping to accomplish with this,how is bleaching somones digestive track going to cure a neurological disorder.And how is this legal.if anyone can connect a specific name of a kid who experienced this find out where they live and call child protective services.or if we can get the name of the administer of this treatment also call child protective services.do we know the state this happened in,we could call the A.G office

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 5:49 am

Do I have to really be disturbed by this news like
you do? Because frankly, those mindless
bastards just committed a huge sacrilege,
really, at their own medical practice. If they
want to kill children with autism, why do the kids have
to endure the pain of having bleach in their rectums? To
exterminate bacteria causing autism? Even low-functioning
autistics are not stupid enough to not understand that an enema
with chlorine bleach, no matter what the concentration
this is, can perforate the colon, and won't even cure autism a bit! That is such a
dumbass procedure, to be honest. I really laughed my heart out at this
method of "treating" autism. Sure I've heard GFCF this, or ABA
that, or whatever, but bleach enemas? Oh goodness, it
is so degenerate of those so-called "practitioners," and they are
ridiculous at best.

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jun 2012, 3:23 pm

It's even worse than chelation.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 1:41 pm

Chris71 wrote:

Even the speaker at the conference it was mentioned who says she supports this treatment claimed it was basically industrial grade bleach...its the article someone linked in another thread about this. Its terrible to feed kids toxic chemicals regardless of reason and even if it is not exactly bleach.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm

i dont get all this wouldnt bleach ruin the intestinal tract and cause internal hemoraging.bleach isnt too disimiler to potasium chloride the chemical used in lethal injections

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:45 am

nostromo wrote:
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/15546675 :(

They better not be lenient on her, otherwise it will encourage others to do that same with their children "in desperation" with little fear of ramifications.

But seriously bleach is the most stupidest and dangerous 'cure' quackery I have ever heard of. You know if Autism Speaks wanted to do us any favours, they should at least publicly condemn this "treatment" to the strongest degree before another murder is committed (yes it's murder if they die, because you're willing subjecting an individual to a life-threatening/lethal level of chemical exposure without any medical expertise and aware of the risk of death).

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Jun 2012, 8:22 am

Nexus wrote:
You know if Autism Speaks wanted to do us any favours, they should at least publicly condemn this "treatment" to the strongest degree before another murder is committed
Why? Why not any other Autism-related organisation? And why Autism Speaks and not the bleach manufacturers, who ultimately made it all possible?
Should Autism Speaks be castigated for not popping up at every opportunity to condemn any mistreatment?
It seems to me that too many people are far too willing to lay blame for everything and anything on Autism Speaks.

And no; that's not posted in support of Autism Speaks.
It's posted in support of rationality.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 8:59 am

Cornflake wrote:
Nexus wrote:
You know if Autism Speaks wanted to do us any favours, they should at least publicly condemn this "treatment" to the strongest degree before another murder is committed
Why? Why not any other Autism-related organisation? And why Autism Speaks and not the bleach manufacturers, who ultimately made it all possible?
Should Autism Speaks be castigated for not popping up at every opportunity to condemn any mistreatment?
It seems to me that too many people are far too willing to lay blame for everything and anything on Autism Speaks.

And no; that's not posted in support of Autism Speaks.
It's posted in support of rationality.

It's an obligation if you represent yourself as the supposed voice of Autism, and considering the severity of this situation you think it would be wise to make a release to condemn this treatment for the safety and well being of Autistics in general. By not doing so they're failing in their duty to represent and protect the Autistic community, and are in fact being neglectful by failing to inform the public in debunking such ridiculous claims of treatment.

Any other charitable organisation would do the same to ensure the safety of those who they represent. So if someone out there invents a life-threatening treatment that only serves a deteriment and it's already caused a fatality, you would immediately address the public to inform them on the dangers of it and how ineffective it is.

What is not rational about that? I'm afraid it's you who is being irrational by suggesting they should not care and not comment on this.