Poll ended at 13 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm
It does not represent Asperger Syndrome accurately. 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
It does represent Asperger Syndrome accurately. 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm

I know this has been adressed before but I wanted to get an official poll regarding your opinion on the novel The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:00 pm

It doesn't seem like an accurate portrayal to me. It seems more as though he's MFA to HFA or that he has more of the traits of classic autism. He seems to have too many issues to have AS. That's just one opinion, though.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:10 pm

Oh my god no. No. This book made me very angry, because my English teacher at the time said it was an accurate portrayal. I embarrassed myself by yelling, "OH HELL NO," when I she said that. "I have autism and it is not freaking like that."

What irritated me the most was the writing. Every sentence was structured the same way. Every. Damn. Sentence. >:I

I do not think in beige prose. I don't think anyone thinks in beige prose.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Jun 2012, 9:19 pm

abstract wrote:
I know this has been adressed before but I wanted to get an official poll regarding your opinion on the novel The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime.
Then why have you restricted the poll to two questions only, neither of which reflect my opinion of the book?
For a start - was it the purpose of the book to present an accurate representation of anything at all? I rather thought it was just a story. You know: a work of fiction.

There were several parts of it I identified with very closely, some not so closely, and others I didn't identify with at all.
In fact it was just like that old - and accurate - saying: "If you've met one Aspie, then you've... met one Aspie" and I don't understand why people seem to be regarding the story as an all-encompassing and accurate-for-everyone portrait of AS.

CallMeAllie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2012, 1:39 am

I read this years ago and didn't like it very much. But I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's at the time, so I didn't connect it with anything to do with me. I just thought it wasn't very well written.

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2012, 5:31 am

Cornflake wrote:
abstract wrote:
Then why have you restricted the poll to two questions only, neither of which reflect my opinion of the book?
For a start - was it the purpose of the book to present an accurate representation of anything at all? I rather thought it was just a story. You know: a work of fiction.

There were several parts of it I identified with very closely, some not so closely, and others I didn't identify with at all.
In fact it was just like that old - and accurate - saying: "If you've met one Aspie, then you've... met one Aspie" and I don't understand why people seem to be regarding the story as an all-encompassing and accurate-for-everyone portrait of AS.

Feel free to elaborate your opinion bellow. There are only so many opinions that you can conceive to put into a poll. I was looking for a general opinion in the poll but feel free to ellaborate your opinion bellow.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

09 Jun 2012, 9:16 am

I already have elaborated my opinions - above. :wink:

There seems as little point in my nit-picking through a work of fiction to highlight those areas that didn't ring true for AS for me as there would be to nit-pick through someone else's AS manifestations not ringing true for me.
Of course there will be differences.

I understand how it's not really practical to provide tick-boxes as a means of gathering opinions on a book - but at the moment the answers on the poll will only work when the question is "Does [the book] represent an accurate portrayal of AS?" - which aside from being a question that can have no worthwhile answer (it's a spectrum so the significant points of someone's AS will always be a variable), it's not actually the question you're asking.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2012, 1:47 am

When I read this book there were a few things I could relate to but generally I found most of it unrelateble.
I read this book before I knew anything about aspergers and looking back on the book now, I can see that it really taught me nothing about aspergers. All the reviews I've read on the book say how insightful this book is and how it really lets you into the mind of an aspie, which is really misleading. Christopher is on the lower end of the AS spectrum or the higher end of the Autism spectrum so he doesn't portray many of the problems faced by higher functioning AS people (which there are a lot more of in society).