Is it my responsibility to be out and proud about my ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 11:39 pm

When I was asking people on yahoo answers how to pass as an NT most people told me to embrace my ASD. One person claimed to accept people with ASD. In my experience those people treat me like I'm younger or another species. I hate those people as much as I hate obvious bullies. One person told me that if I hide my ASD I won't be able to create more awareness, understanding and appreciation. I'd rather have friends that treat me like an equal than become an autism activist. I just wish they would answer my question.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:38 am

No. It isn't.

corastorm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2012, 12:46 am

I think when/if you decide to "come out" as ASD is totally and completely up to you and you shouldn't be made to feel pressured. Yes, those who embrace an identity and make it a topic of conversation do a lot to raise acceptance and awareness, but it is a personal choice and not a responsibility. Do what feels right for you in your own journey now and know that you can always make different choices when and if you see fit.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2012, 2:46 am

Yeah, I've gotten this stuff from the Pagan community as well. It's possible to be half-in and half-out. Being ASD today is like being gay in the '50s. It can cause issues if you are out in certain ways. Just like if someone was out about being an undocumented immigrant.

I'm out about autism and ADHD to certain people at work because I've gotten very close to them. But I'm not out to distant relatives, and I don't come out unless someone at an office or other venue says something. I'm not out about bipolar at work. I'm not out about being a Pagan and witch at work, but I am super-out about these things among my friends and in social situations. To the point where I have multiple Facebook and other social media accounts.

This is your call to make. They don't live in your experience, your world. To say that you should or should not do something is presumptuous and highly patronizing.

It is an NT's responsibility to learn about and understand our experience. Not for us to be a living ambassador at all times for our group. That is a form of privilege that must be recognized among the privileged.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:09 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
When I was asking people on yahoo answers how to pass as an NT most people told me to embrace my ASD. One person claimed to accept people with ASD. In my experience those people treat me like I'm younger or another species. I hate those people as much as I hate obvious bullies. One person told me that if I hide my ASD I won't be able to create more awareness, understanding and appreciation. I'd rather have friends that treat me like an equal than become an autism activist. I just wish they would answer my question.

You must live on your own terms. That is how you become an autism self advocate. You don't have to define yourself based on your autism and you shouldn't feel pressured to come out to people. However, you shouldn't feel pressured to hide it either. If you want to talk about your condition to people, great. If you don't want to, that's also great.

These people aren't worth your time.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:21 pm

Responsibility might not be the right word, but I feel that everyone on the spectrum should at least try to embrace the positive aspects of their ASC/ASD.

Although it's better to be open and unashamed of telling others about your Autism, it can be better, in some circumstances to keep quiet about it.

For example, if you felt that a prospective employer could possibly discriminate against you because of it. I wouldn't be proud of covering it up in any situation, but sometimes, unfortunately it's just better.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:32 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
Is it my responsibility to be out and proud about my ASD?

No.

It is your responsibility to develop yourself and become admirable for your intellect and ethical behavior.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:26 pm

Considering the way things are looking these days it is probably a very, very bad idea to be "out and proud". That would be an unreasonable thing to demand.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:33 pm

For Aspies in these current situations, "Stand Up and Be Counted" may be quickly followed with "Ready-Aim-Fire".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 1:24 am

DevilKisses wrote:

It's not your responsibility. However, if you still want to talk to people, test the waters and see what their reaction is before getting into too deep about yourself. Some people are too stupid to understand much less care.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2012, 5:12 pm

Nope. Enough people will see it as a request for special treatment that you should not be obliged to do it.