Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

WhitneyM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2013, 11:36 am

Chymistry wrote:
Goals

Tell the Truth about Autism ( not talk about it like Autism Speaks and Autism One)
Get services for those who need it
How- Donations, walks, fundraising at as many places as possible (think relay for life), Website.

Organization

Centralized with Chapters
Democratic organization
Meetings 2 times a month, support groups can meet more often

Membership

Members recruitment - anyone willing to pay a small fee and help fund raise
Members serve others by raising money and raising Awareness for Equality
Members with ASD's are served by services that they need (psychiatric, psychological, socialization groups, medication, ABA, and support groups.) This one I care about the most
No membership or leadership restrictions

Financing

Donations, walk events, canister raising all over where possible, online, website
Administrative costs Only 22% like MDA. I will be looking at the structure of MDA so the majority of money raised goes to services for us on the AS.

Activities
(the order will change as time goes on so keep that in mind)

1 Recruitment
2 Socializing
3 Fundraising
4 Services given to those who need it

The first 3 must happen so the 4th goal can start to be met. when more money is raised and a reliable amount is coming in the 4th goal will move to 1

This is just the beginning and I can't do this alone. I sincerely thank all of you for your help and any suggestions you may have. Also no one gets awesome cars, first class airline travel, and all that crap because the money needs to go to the people who need the help and for equality for us.

I think the 4th goal should be advocating adequate training and job placement for ASD in mainstream society.

Sidenote: I would be happy with job that pays liveable income that promotes the infrastructure that can benefit all not just ASD. If it means socialized medicine more government controls pharmaceuticals companies and enforcing a more stringent labor laws simply the United States has to re-earn the rights implement things that affected by ASD instead of marginalizing us.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 12:02 pm

While there is interest... I have to point out that the reason we don't have our OWN foundation is the same reason that an autistic city state would fail. While there is a lot of interest... there is little in the way of staffing with the training, ability or interest in doing the down and dirty.

I wish you well... but foundations are a big part of the problem

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 12:37 pm

In the United States, as a general rule, pretty much any adult resident can start an organization, some jurisdictions require more paperwork and fees than others. To start something along the lines of what is envisioned in this thread is for another discussion all together, and should take place with qualified professionals.

Once the organization and administrative matter has been resolved, the subject then turns to some of the issues that Fnord pointed out above, particularly fundraising. Contrary to the picture generated by some organizations and the media, most non-profits (in the broadest sense of the term) run on fairly limited revenues, and either have a limited number of donors, or spend a large amount of time fundraising. For some organizations, the fundraising is part of the outreach and recruitment effort.

I don't say the above to be negative, only to point out what would need to be resolved at the concept stage, before any documents are drafted.

I think part of Feralucce's comment is accurate in regards to non-profit organizations, in that staffing with the right mix of qualifications, availability, and interest would be difficult. It is not impossible, both ASAN and GRASP have shown it to be possible.

Chymistry
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2013, 12:46 pm

I see the problem goes much deeper as WhitneyM, Feralucce, and AgentPalpatine pointed out. It would take whole revolution to fix a lot of the societal problems that we on the spectrum face along with NTs. I just was hoping there was something more we all could do about it instead of being forced to sit back, do nothing, and let bullshitters like Autism One/Speaks promote us as a diseased populace that can't speak or have nothing to say that "must be cured of the horrible affliction".

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 1:56 pm

Problem is... Like it or not... Autism is a disease... If you would like, I can link you, or repost the article I wrote on this subject.

Chymistry
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2013, 1:57 pm

I would like that

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 2:03 pm

The Link is HERE

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 4:09 pm

Chymistry, might I suggest a smaller-scale approach? A smaller organization that focuses on one subject area (social interaction, services, community outreach, etc.) in a particular geographical area (City, metro area, etc.) would have the advantage of being able to be managed on a comparatively small administrative budget, and would be able to develop a local donor base and/or local media/stakeholder contacts.

WhitneyM

28 Jul 2013, 5:50 pm

Feralucce wrote:
The Link is HERE

Are you saying Autism is a disease? The Article said it is not. The Article stated it is a syndrome which is not disease. I saying this for clarification.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 6:01 pm

Umm.... if you are referring to the article that I linked to... that I wrote...

It states clearly "Autism is a disease"... in those words... I know...I cut and pasted them just now...

WhitneyM

28 Jul 2013, 9:03 pm

Thank you for clarification.

I find most lifeforms are a disease because they all fit in that broad definition there of. Humans beings are multi-cellular form of cancer since the numbers never stop growing to point of global destruction nor they are sustainable.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 9:23 pm

That is only if an anthropomorphous view of the planet is accurate... but I do not think that the planet, itself is alive... HOWEVER... let us assume that it is... Humans are not a disease... we are a parasite.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm

Chymistry wrote:
Goals

Tell the Truth about Autism ( not talk about it like Autism Speaks and Autism One)
Get services for those who need it
How- Donations, walks, fundraising at as many places as possible (think relay for life), Website.

Organization

Centralized with Chapters
Democratic organization
Meetings 2 times a month, support groups can meet more often

Membership

Members recruitment - anyone willing to pay a small fee and help fund raise
Members serve others by raising money and raising Awareness for Equality
Members with ASD's are served by services that they need (psychiatric, psychological, socialization groups, medication, ABA, and support groups.) This one I care about the most
No membership or leadership restrictions

Financing

Donations, walk events, canister raising all over where possible, online, website
Administrative costs Only 22% like MDA. I will be looking at the structure of MDA so the majority of money raised goes to services for us on the AS.

Activities
(the order will change as time goes on so keep that in mind)

1 Recruitment
2 Socializing
3 Fundraising
4 Services given to those who need it

The first 3 must happen so the 4th goal can start to be met. when more money is raised and a reliable amount is coming in the 4th goal will move to 1

This is just the beginning and I can't do this alone. I sincerely thank all of you for your help and any suggestions you may have. Also no one gets awesome cars, first class airline travel, and all that crap because the money needs to go to the people who need the help and for equality for us.

Excellent work!

Now comes the hard part: Selling this to people who would rather air their personal problems and focus on conflicts between members.

Chymistry
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2013, 9:35 pm

thanks Fnord

WhitneyM

29 Jul 2013, 7:18 am

Feralucce wrote:
That is only if an anthropomorphous view of the planet is accurate... but I do not think that the planet, itself is alive... HOWEVER... let us assume that it is... Humans are not a disease... we are a parasite.

Agreed.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 12:25 pm

WhitneyM wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

Agreed.

Now that we have agreed on that... Parasites serve a function in nature... and autism is a disease of that parasitic population.