aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 3:13 pm

Interesting scientific publication on Autism and neurodiversity :
The Cerebral Subject and the Challenge of Neurodiversity

Quote:
Abstract
The neurodiversity movement has so far been dominated by autistic people who believe their
condition is not a disease to be treated and, if possible, cured, but rather a human specificity (like
sex or race) that must be equally respected. Autistic self-advocates largely oppose groups of parents
of autistic children and professionals searching for a cure for autism. This article discusses the positions
of the pro-cure and anti-cure groups. It also addresses the emergence of autistic cultures and
various issues concerning autistic identities. It shows how identity issues are frequently linked to
a ‘neurological self-awareness’ and a rejection of psychological interpretations. It argues that
the preference for cerebral explanations cannot be reduced to an aversion to psychoanalysis
or psychological culture. Instead, such preference must be understood within the context of the diffusion
of neuroscientific claims beyond the laboratory and their penetration in different domains of
life in contemporary biomedicalized societies. Within this framework, neuroscientific theories, practices,
technologies and therapies are influencing the ways we think about ourselves and relate to
others, favoring forms of neurological or cerebral subjectivation. The article shows how neuroscientific
claims are taken up in the formation of identities, as well as social and community networks.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 10:51 am

Three pages in (and I'm going to be reading for days, possibly with a large dictionary close to hand), I have one major argument.

I cannot, of course, speak for the self-advocacy movement, of which I am not even sure I am a part. I can speak for myself.

I do not hope to construe autism as a positive attribute, nor do I hope to encourage anyone else to do so. Frankly IMO anyone who says that it would be sunshine and roses if it weren't for the stigma and the determination to "fix" is deluding themselves. There are things I would dislike about autism in a value-neutral (or value-reversed) environment, just as there are things I dislike about my fine, straight, dry hair (no matter how many people tell me how shiny it is or how beautiful it's going to look shot through with those pure-white strands I've started getting) and things I dislike about my daughter's coarse, wavy, oily hair (no matter how often I appreciate how full it is or how much it resembles my mother's and MIL's).

My greatest hope is to discourage autism from being automatically construed as a negative attribute.

If I could realize my highest hope for autism culture, it would be for autism to be seen as AN ATTRIBUTE, nothing more and nothing less. Like "blond hair" or "hazel eyes" or "left-handedness" or "polydactylism." Or for that matter, "knack for/hopeless at drawing" or "gifted dancer/two left feet" or "a way with machines/mechanically incompetent" or "drawn to writing/not so great with the printed word" or "good at math/not so much" or "green thumb/brown thumb."

Do I believe that will ever happen?? Not really, because autism affects the way we interact with other people and therefore their pathologies and self-image are tied up in it too. At the end of the day, it will always discomfit the majority, leaving them wondering why they did not get the expected result and if they did something wrong.

And that will always leave quite a lot of people who are unable to see it in any way other than "something wrong with us."

"Oh, child, those poor Mrunas..." +5 if you can name the literary reference, +15 if you can put it in context.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 11:33 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
I do not hope to construe autism as a positive attribute, nor do I hope to encourage anyone else to do so. Frankly IMO anyone who says that it would be sunshine and roses if it weren't for the stigma and the determination to "fix" is deluding themselves. There are things I would dislike about autism in a value-neutral (or value-reversed) environment, just as there are things I dislike about my fine, straight, dry hair (no matter how many people tell me how shiny it is or how beautiful it's going to look shot through with those pure-white strands I've started getting) and things I dislike about my daughter's coarse, wavy, oily hair (no matter how often I appreciate how full it is or how much it resembles my mother's and MIL's).

My greatest hope is to discourage autism from being automatically construed as a negative attribute.

My position is that Autism comes with both great weaknesses and great strengths and as such has a generally neutral impact in an environment that doesn't advantage "neurotypical" thinking over "Autistic" thinking.

BuyerBeware wrote:
Do I believe that will ever happen?? Not really, because autism affects the way we interact with other people and therefore their pathologies and self-image are tied up in it too. At the end of the day, it will always discomfit the majority, leaving them wondering why they did not get the expected result and if they did something wrong.

In the past, homosexuals probable couldn't believe homosexuality would ever be considered as a normal variation within human sexual behavior instead of a mental disorder.

Culture changes. Perception changes. If homosexuals were able to change the way society perceives them, why can't we?!

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:21 pm

We can keep trying.

Maybe I'm cynical, maybe I'm wrong.

If, however, you believe that the majority of the culture now accepts homosexuals (in a way they didn't before-- the way that changes when it stops being "those queers" and starts being "that nice boy, James McCoy, who always played so well with my Billy" or stops being "Dykes on Bikes" and starts being "Heather Flickman, from down the street, who spent most of her summers in our back yard"), perhaps you ought to turn off the TV news, log off the Internet, and go get a cuppa at your local diner.

Those who accept gays as valid really accept gays as valid. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Those who don't, well-- 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O Homophobia is a lot more virulent, where it exists, than I ever remember it being when I was a young woman.

Back then it was background noise. Queers, Communists, those weird people from the Church of Christ, Arabs-- y'know. It was kind of disgusting, how casual it was, but it was CASUAL. They started being OK with Commies when the Berlin Wall crashed, OK with the CoC when I started dating a boy from there, OK with Arabs when this Iranian guy moved in down the street, OK with queers when my peers started coming out of the closet.

And it wasn't any great seismic shift. I remember the day my cousin started dating a black guy. My great-grandpa picked a couple of notes on his dobro, laid it down, picked up the Bible, thumbed through it, said that "You know, Jesus Our Savior mighta been a black man," and that was the end of it. He was Family (at least until they split ten years later). This from a man who had, at one time, been in the Klan, and who had been opining about "n****rs" over dinner an hour before.

Now-- I don't know, man. The anti-gay rhetoric frightens ME-- and I'm pretty damn hetero.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:59 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Those who accept gays as valid really accept gays as valid. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Those who don't, well-- 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O Homophobia is a lot more virulent, where it exists, than I ever remember it being when I was a young woman.

Do you live in a religious area?

Where I live (a mostly Atheistic part of Western-Europe), homophobia is practically non-existent.

BuyerBeware wrote:
The anti-gay rhetoric frightens ME-- and I'm pretty damn hetero.

It's my opinion that the vast majority of us are born bi-sexual, with a strong preference for the opposite gender.

It is also my opinion that that preference can be altered into either direction by one's environment during one's lifetime.
All of the lesbians I know personally used to consider themselves heterosexual until disappointing experiences with men during puberty, which made them curious about experimenting with women.

And yes, I know quite a few lesbians. I seem to attract "damaged women" because my Autism makes me less threatening to such women than "neurotypical" men.

This, and other experiences I've had throughout my life, makes me quite skeptical of both those who claim they are born as 100% homosexual and those who claim they are born as 100% heterosexual. IMO both are in denial.