Page 13 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Those advocating need to stop pretending there is an ND community.

You disagree that there is an ND community? I think there is, although not all Autistics can self-advocate as part of an "Autism Community" and Autistic Community =/= ND community.

Wrongplanet, for example, is a remote Autistic community, but I don't think all of us identify as ND, though some do. But there is a ND movement that encompasses ASD and ADHD individuals, albeit a very incoherent and amorphous movement atm.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 9:49 pm

[quote="Fnord"]So ... if you don't believe in Neurodiversity, then how do you account for the obvious diversity in human neuropathy?[/quo

durn it politely spoken am beginning to really hate in agreeing with you.!

where ever you go ,there you are

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 11:09 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Wrongplanet, for example, is a remote Autistic community, but I don't think all of us identify as ND, though some do. .

Those of us who post here daily (I am one of them) have come to know others who are regulars on this forum. I am not sure (as you say) I would classify the regulars here as either friends or part of an ND community.

My post was more aimed at real-life...I have tried many times to organise local groups of parents/people with autism here in Melbourne but have failed. Simply having a child with autism is (from my experience) not enough to form a community. My daughter has met more than hundred girls with autism now since she was 3-4 and I don't have the phone number, email address of any parent I have met. My daughter has tried to be friends with different girls but nobody clicks. She currently has a few NT boys in her class who play with her at school who she considers friends and they come to her birthday party.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 8:13 am

Ah, I see. Part of the issue I believe is that we are frequently as different from each other as we are from NTs. We're defined by being "other", but two "Autistic" people may not necessarily have much in common (other than life experiences of social and occupational struggle, probably).

Then when it comes to organizing for social change, well, you have vast differences in needs, goals, and opinions amongst us, so that's really difficult too. Sometimes I feel that "ASD" is too broad a label.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 4:04 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Ah, I see. Part of the issue I believe is that we are frequently as different from each other as we are from NTs. We're defined by being "other", but two "Autistic" people may not necessarily have much in common (other than life experiences of social and occupational struggle, probably).

Then when it comes to organizing for social change, well, you have vast differences in needs, goals, and opinions amongst us, so that's really difficult too. Sometimes I feel that "ASD" is too broad a label.

Precisely! each person on the spectrum is an army of one :)