Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 2:47 am

can we be civil before this thread gets locked

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2014, 6:58 am

Spectrum of light is the best analogy I've heard so far. AS isn't like 2 different types of fruit among rock melons.

vermontsavant wrote:
can we be civil before this thread gets locked

Perhaps it should, it seems pointless. People will just believe whatever they want, despite facts.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 3:56 pm

"People are entitled to their own set of opinions, but not their own set of facts"... Maybe that legend should be at the top of every thread lol

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 5:33 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
No, that would defeat the purpose of having an autism spectrum...the whole point is most people do not have autism, and do not have the struggles autism comes with...I hate these 'aren't we all autistic' articles and what not but I guess I will look at it.

Totally agree, I can't stand when people say that phrase, all they're doing by taking that stance is minimalizing our struggles, and using themselves as an example of how we 'can do better if we try'. It's a stance that is taken by egotists and ignorant fools who couldn't understand the spectrum if it slapped them in the face. To top it off, it's offensive when people say that, because it makes us sound like a bunch of complainers who are lazy and want what they like to call a 'free ride' through life (which is yet another ignorant view, but that's another discussion).

From what I've seen, most often that isn't the intent, rather the intent is to be comforting by saying "you aren't different."

I'm with others on this, we all know that we actually are different, and people telling us that we aren't is just another phrase that minimalizes our struggles. Whether that's the intent or not, that is the result.
The fact will always remain, we are different, it's generally obvious to others and sometimes even us, and if we weren't different, there wouldn't be any reason to have groups like this in the first place. Afterall, there aren't any support groups for having a normal brain, is there? And why is that? Simple; because it's normal, there's nothing hindering about it.

Basically what B19 said. Remember, just because NTs fail to empathize doesn't mean they are out to get us or whatnot. We don't need to demonize them.

Funny, I don't remember demonizing anyone, nor did I claim they were 'out to get us', I've simply outlined that they're wrong in their assumptions, and that those assumptions are off-putting.

"It's a stance that is taken by egotists and ignorant fools who couldn't understand the spectrum if it slapped them in the face."

If you call that 'demonizing' them, then you obviously can't tell the difference between 'demonizing' someone, and calling them out and exposing their ignorance.
Fact: There is a spectrum, because people display a number of attributes that fall outside the specified normality, not just one attribute, but multiple. People that say that everyone is on the spectrum based on one or two traits that doesn't even qualify them for diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum, is obviously ignorant of not only why the spectrum exists in the first place, but also ignorant of the obvious difference between us and everyone else, and they are fooling themselves if they think a few similarities qualify them to be on that spectrum. People on the spectrum have real neurological differences that cause probably 90% (or more) of the problems that we have, and they are so far beyond just the tiny bit that people off of the spectrum deal with that it's not even funny.
The Autism Spectrum is not a fan club, it's a diagnosis, and it's a tool to allow people to understand to what degree that someone has Autism. Do people exhibit a symptom here and there? Sure, but does that qualify them for a diagnosis (and in extension, to be put on the spectrum) of an Autistic Spectrum Disorder? Absolutely not. So again, people who believe that a tiny similarity automatically puts someone on the spectrum is obviously ignorant of real fact and they are fooling themselves into continuing to believe such nonsense.

"If you call that 'demonizing' them, then you obviously can't tell the difference between 'demonizing' someone, and calling them out and exposing their ignorance." You aren't calling anyone out except yourself for your own lack of understanding. 1

I think you fail to understand what the concept of a spectrum is2. The reason autism is classified as a spectrum is not to separate from NT, that exists with any diagnosis, but to acknowledge that it smoothly blends into the general population and there is no hard line between on spectrum and off spectrum. It's like the green light spectrum, when does it stop being green and start being blue? Most visible light has some green light in it, even it's not on the green spectrum persay. Arbitrary it can be argued to be on spectrum as well because it's just an extension of the same continuum, there is no dividing line.3

1. I understand this topic very well, you're not understanding what I'm saying, by any stretch of the imagination.

2. I understand what a spectrum is quite well, it seems to be you who doesn't understand what a spectrum is; The Autistic Spectrum is a spectrum that was designed to allow diagnosticians to diagnose the degree of autism spectrum disorders in a patient, nothing more, nothing less.

3. Yes, there is a dividing line; Autistic Spectrum Disorders. If someone doesn't qualify for a diagnosis under the Autistic Spectrum, then they are not on the spectrum of those disorders, it's that simple, how can you not understand that?

Let's say for a moment that you were correct (not saying you are, just making a valid point). Would you then also classify everyone as the following, because of these similarities?
Schizophrenic : Because we hear our own voice in our head.
Physical Abuser : Because everyone gets angry.
OCD : Because they prefer a clean house over a messy one.

The list could go on and on and on and never actually reach any real resolution, but then we'd be back to "everyone is the same" and if that were really true, there would be no diagnosis, and in extension, no basis for comparing either side to the other, and since that wouldn't exist, we wouldn't be on this site because we'd already have all the support we'd need from the rest of society. But that's not the case.
So, I say again, there's a huge difference between being on the spectrum and not being on the spectrum, it doesn't matter how fine that line may get in the more milder forms, it still ends somewhere. If it didn't, there would be no diagnosis. The fact that there is a diagnosis proves that I'm right.
No matter how badly you want to believe that everyone is somewhat like us and that we can be accepted on that basis, it's just not so. That's reality.

Quote:
It's like the green light spectrum, when does it stop being green and start being blue? Most visible light has some green light in it, even it's not on the green spectrum persay.

You do realize how ridiculous you sound here, right? If you really want to use light as an example, fine, I'll even use your green-blue example:
Light has three primary colors, all of which are their own color, none of which are placed into each other without some other color to connect the dots. Green, in it's absolute form, is fully green, there is no other color within it, as is blue. Yes, there is a spectrum between the two, but there is still the absolute values, they're either green, or blue. There is a dividing line between them. So not only is your analogy flawed, it also proves my point.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 5:43 pm

Hmmmm. Literally, a spectrum is a scale between two points.

This can be argued either way, depending on where you see those two points as being.

However to answer the OP's question, again, having thought about this a lot more: Is everyone on the AUTISTIC spectrum? The answer to my mind is a very obvious NO.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm

Jaden wrote:
You do realize how ridiculous you sound here, right? If you really want to use light as an example, fine, I'll even use your green-blue example:
Light has three primary colors, all of which are their own color, none of which are placed into each other without some other color to connect the dots. Green, in it's absolute form, is fully green, there is no other color within it, as is blue. Yes, there is a spectrum between the two, but there is still the absolute values, they're either green, or blue. There is a dividing line between them. So not only is your analogy flawed, it also proves my point.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 8:28 pm

Ganondox wrote:

Obviously you are still different, it's not different as in not fundamentally different, just more autistic than the rest. It should be noted that this isn't just done as an attempt to comfort autistic people, but also to get understanding from neurotypicals. Aside from a few articles like this, I pretty much only see the "everyone is a little autistic" rhetoric from the neurodiversity camp (albeit more the NTs in the camp than the actual autistics), so their intent wouldn't be to minimize our struggles, though their efforts sometimes get interpreted that way.

Basically what B19 said. Remember, just because NTs fail to empathize doesn't mean they are out to get us or whatnot. We don't need to demonize them.

Well yeah, it comes off as ignorant and rather dismissive when neurotypicals want to say 'we're a little autistic to' that is not how it works...I know in some cases they are just trying to sympathize or act like they understand but its not very effective. But either way do not feel I have suggested they are all out to get us or trying to demonize.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 9:04 pm

Moromillas wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

An NT exhibiting a couple traits that people with aspergers also exibit does not put them on the same spectrum....I mean we are still humans after all. Besides if we're all 'on the same spectrum' then what is the point of terms like neurotypical or autism? And yes saying everyone is on the autism spectrum indicates everyone has those differences/difficulties related to autism which is ridiculous.

Yes it does, and it indicates NT is part of that spectrum. There's no getting around this, you can't ignore that the traits are sometimes apparent (in NTs), and you can't say they're an AS person as they're clearly an NT.

You appear to be misunderstanding what a spectrum is. It's not as simple as there are Autistic people, then there are Aspergians, then there are NTs, it's too simple. To put it in such simplistic terms, you have to make some rather large generalisations.

No it doesn't. The comparison you've made, is like saying Autistic people have the exact same differences/etc as Aspergians. No, being on the same spectrum doesn't mean they're the same, even within just Asperger's, no Aspergian would be the same as the next.

It implies they are on the spectrum of being human, a couple traits does not put one on the autism spectrum...neurotypicals aren't a little autistic no matter how you slice it. The autism spectrum exists outside the neurotypical spectrum...that is why there is a differentiation.

I know perfectly well what a spectrum is...also I aspergians is not really an official term of any kind, autism is a spectrum so called 'aspergians' are on the autistic spectrum along with people with aspergers, people without autism are not on the autism spectrum that simple. Also people on the spectrum don't have all the same issues every individual has a collection of the autism symptoms/traits it varies depending on the individual and their severity.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

Ganondox wrote:

I think you fail to understand what the concept of a spectrum is. The reason autism is classified as a spectrum is not to separate from NT, that exists with any diagnosis, but to acknowledge that it smoothly blends into the general population and there is no hard line between on spectrum and off spectrum. It's like the green light spectrum, when does it stop being green and start being blue? Most visible light has some green light in it, even it's not on the green spectrum persay. Arbitrary it can be argued to be on spectrum as well because it's just an extension of the same continuum, there is no dividing line.

If one lacks enough of the required traits and symptoms for a diagnoses then they are not on the spectrum. Also the whole problem is autism does not smootly blend into the general population, hence why autistic people are not considered to be neurotypical and neurotypical people are not considered to be on the autism spectrum. Maybe some of these NTs should get over themselves ans quit trying to claim they are on the spectrum.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2014, 9:44 pm

I've sometimes wondered about this.

It seems to me that's the definition of "spectrum" - it would include extremes at both ends of a scale - very autistic, to almost not at all autistic.

According to one definition, spectrum: "used to classify something, or suggest that it can be classified, in terms of its position on a scale between two extreme or opposite points."

Still I would think the neurological or psychiatric definition would still have more to do with whether someone's place on the spectrum caused them significant issues. I do think one can be high functioning and still experience significant limitations.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 11:00 pm

Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:

If a picture is the best rebuttal you have, then this conversation is over before it even began.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2014, 7:47 am

Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:

If a picture is the best rebuttal you have, then this conversation is over before it even began.

It was over when you displayed either, your severe lack of understanding, or your willful ignorance.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2014, 8:29 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

An NT exhibiting a couple traits that people with aspergers also exibit does not put them on the same spectrum....I mean we are still humans after all. Besides if we're all 'on the same spectrum' then what is the point of terms like neurotypical or autism? And yes saying everyone is on the autism spectrum indicates everyone has those differences/difficulties related to autism which is ridiculous.

Yes it does, and it indicates NT is part of that spectrum. There's no getting around this, you can't ignore that the traits are sometimes apparent (in NTs), and you can't say they're an AS person as they're clearly an NT.

You appear to be misunderstanding what a spectrum is. It's not as simple as there are Autistic people, then there are Aspergians, then there are NTs, it's too simple. To put it in such simplistic terms, you have to make some rather large generalisations.

No it doesn't. The comparison you've made, is like saying Autistic people have the exact same differences/etc as Aspergians. No, being on the same spectrum doesn't mean they're the same, even within just Asperger's, no Aspergian would be the same as the next.

It implies they are on the spectrum of being human, a couple traits does not put one on the autism spectrum...neurotypicals aren't a little autistic no matter how you slice it. The autism spectrum exists outside the neurotypical spectrum...that is why there is a differentiation.

I know perfectly well what a spectrum is...also I aspergians is not really an official term of any kind, autism is a spectrum so called 'aspergians' are on the autistic spectrum along with people with aspergers, people without autism are not on the autism spectrum that simple. Also people on the spectrum don't have all the same issues every individual has a collection of the autism symptoms/traits it varies depending on the individual and their severity.

No it doesn't, and you appear to be mincing the words autism spectrum and autistic. Er, yes they are, there are some that do sometimes show AS traits, and they're clearly NTs. That's a fact, no matter how you slice it.

AS people or Aspergian is the correct way to address most people. "People with Asperger's" is not, and shows a lack of understanding, as people can misconstrue that as an NT person carrying around a disease or sickness.

No, that's just too simple.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 9:41 am

you know if you guys don't start being civil one of these new draconian mods are going to lock this post and ban you guys

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 10:39 am

Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:

It was over when you displayed either, your severe lack of understanding, or your willful ignorance.

You're one to talk, you (and others here) have yet to actually post any factual information regarding the autistic spectrum, and have willfully ignored real facts that have been stated by not only me, but other people here as well, who frankly, know more about the spectrum than you do.
If you want to talk about a 'lack of understanding' and 'willful ignorance', look in the mirror and do some damn research, because literally any research on the topic, provided by the medical field and experts would show you that you're wrong. But, given who I'm talking to, I don't expect any one of you to do that. God forbid you should actually learn something instead of insulting people who live every day seeing the difference.

This is beyond idiotic, I'm leaving. Arguing with you people is like trying to get a caveman to suddenly have a logical conversation.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 10:47 am

vermontsavant wrote:
you know if you guys don't start being civil one of these new draconian mods are going to lock this post and ban you guys

Civility went out the window when insults started flying around, and at this point, I don't care what the mods do, half the mods on this site have been going after me since the beginning when I actually stood up for myself here anyway, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened yet again because nobody on this site likes what I have to say. Frankly speaking, I'm done with this topic anyway, and for the reason that people here cannot have a conversation without spewing out of their ass every other post.