Autism Speaks #MSSNG campaign. Google involved - Thoughts?

Page 6 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 10:45 pm

Whether caused by Autism or ignorance, social blunders are social blunders and people are always going to get looked at funny & excluded for screwing up in these ways. Like it or not, that's reality.. and why it's up to the ASD person to adapt as best as possible, IMO.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 11:07 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Whether caused by Autism or ignorance, social blunders are social blunders and people are always going to get looked at funny & excluded for screwing up in these ways. Like it or not, that's reality.. and why it's up to the ASD person to adapt as best as possible, IMO.

But would it be viewed as a blunder if the reason for the behaviour is common knowledge?

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 11:08 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Or people could learn that not everyone is the same in a social situation. f**k the noise of adapting to others, people should accept us for us. I'm not bending over goddamn backwards to please neurotypicals.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:28 am

goldfish21 wrote:

Social blunders are always a matter of judgment that start with doing the unexpected for the proscribed situation. If we give an explanation it will be accepted by some and not others. If most accept the explanation find and dandy, if most don't it remains a social blunder. If we say no way they will accept it, and do not try and explain, it will remain a blunder. If it remains a blunder those that can't change/adopt will remain unproductive despite having skills that could have been useful, if not for the judgment call that might have been changed, but was not because of a belief that changing the majority judgment was a hopeless cause.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 12:53 pm

No matter how much wishful thinking one has about change an acceptance, there are always going to be things that others consider annoying, or rude, or off putting, or strange/weird etc and so on. That's just the way it always has been, is, and always will be. The best bet for anyone on the spectrum is to improve themselves and their social skills/abilities etc in order to best adapt to the world around them, because the world isn't going to change for them no matter how loud you shout about "autistic rights" or whatever.

and a bit different, but along the same lines of thinking:

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:35 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
No matter how much wishful thinking one has about change an acceptance, there are always going to be things that others consider annoying, or rude, or off putting, or strange/weird etc and so on. That's just the way it always has been, is, and always will be. The best bet for anyone on the spectrum is to improve themselves and their social skills/abilities etc in order to best adapt to the world around them, because the world isn't going to change for them no matter how loud you shout about "autistic rights" or whatever.

Sorry, but I'm not going to improve myself to look better to neurotypicals. They should be the ones accepting how we are. And I'm not going to bother improving my social skills either. I've tried long enough, so if people don't like it, they can take it or leave it. Also, some people CANNOT improve their skills, have you ever thought that? Put yourself into someone else' shoes on the spectrum that isn't as high functioning as you are.

Are you saying you're against autistic rights? If so then, your posts make sense to me now.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:38 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Sorry, but I'm not going to improve myself to look better to neurotypicals. They should be the ones accepting how we are. And I'm not going to bother improving my social skills either. I've tried long enough, so if people don't like it, they can take it or leave it. Also, some people CANNOT improve their skills, have you ever thought that? Put yourself into someone else' shoes on the spectrum that isn't as high functioning as you are.

Are you saying you're against autistic rights? If so then, your posts make sense to me now.

Improve yourself for yourself, not others. Others simply aren't going to accept "unacceptable" behaviour. It just is what it is. That's a pretty negative attitude to not want to bother trying, whatever it is one doesn't want to try - IMO one should always try. If you choose not to try, then you choose to accept things as they are for you, including how others react to & treat you. "Whether you think you can or you can't you're right." - Henry Ford.

I've never said anything about being against "Autistic rights," however, since I don't know what your definition of them is I can't say I'm for them either.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:45 pm

What is negative is telling a whole group of people that their natural way of interacting is wrong and needs modification.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:45 pm

I'm not #mssing. I'm right here. Autism Speaks doesn't know when to quit.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:54 pm

androbot01 wrote:
What is negative is telling a whole group of people that their natural way of interacting is wrong and needs modification.

If you're getting the reactions from others that you want and expect out of life, then the way you interact with others is just fine and doesn't require modification. But since you're here saying that you want others to accept the different ways you act, I'm more inclined to think that your behaviour is outside the socially acceptable norm and could use some improvement in order to make you a happier person that others like to be around.

Whether you want to label it "wrong," or "different," or whatever is up to you. Chances are it's not ideal for you as the results you're getting aren't ideal and thus there must be a better way that you can strive towards achieving for yourself.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

and a bit different, but along the same lines of thinking:

All this quoted for truth AND EVERYthing else you are saying in this thread, in mind as well.

If I did not believe I could change myself, and listened instead to the doctor who said I could not possibly recover from 19 documented medical disorders, INCLUDING AUTISM, I would still be sitting behind this computer in my underwear as a shut-in separated from the rest of the world.

Instead, this is my life now.:

http://katiemiafrederick.com/2014/12/09/gods-muse-of-dance/

And Oh my GOD, the rest of the world OF HUMANITY IS fun, when I finally find the TRUE POWER IN ME FOR CHANGE. :)

AND OH MY GOD! THE LINK ABOVE IS IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE OF THAT, AT LEAST FOR ME.

WE need more folks who think like you GOLDFISH here, SO MORE folks might get inspired to LIVE A SIMPLY AMAZING LIFE LIKE 'we' do now.

If I can beat medical science, I don't see why MOST anyone can't get out there, and at least try to connect to other folks.

Try it, ya might like it, IS WHAT I FIND AS ABSOLUTE TRUTH NOW, at least for me, for sure. :)

Oh and I am 54, and Oh, almost all of my friends in the link above are in their 20's, so, so much for peer appropriate relationships still, but OH WELL, it is all one BIG potentially happy HUMAN FAMILY TO ME, NOW! :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 2:16 pm

I'm not interested in how people react to modified me. It is not satisfying even if the reaction is positive. It is satisfying when people respond positively to who I actually am, which some have.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 2:36 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

If you're getting the reactions from others that you want and expect out of life, then the way you interact with others is just fine and doesn't require modification. But since you're here saying that you want others to accept the different ways you act, I'm more inclined to think that your behaviour is outside the socially acceptable norm and could use some improvement in order to make you a happier person that others like to be around.

Whether you want to label it "wrong," or "different," or whatever is up to you. Chances are it's not ideal for you as the results you're getting aren't ideal and thus there must be a better way that you can strive towards achieving for yourself.

One, you don't know her, so why judge her? Two, do you think people here really care about the social norm? This is a forum where we can interact with each other and not having to be judged by neurotypicals, lest by other people on the spectrum.

Changing your behavior does not always equal a happier life, just like money doesn't make you happy. You can be the richest person in the world yet be depressed as all hell.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 5:10 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Changing your behavior does not always equal a happier life

Exactly ... and thanks :D
goldfish and aghogday, why will neither of you address the issue of the costs of conformation? I know there are rewards to be gained from pushing oneself, especially socially. But there has to be a balance. The psyche cant handle constant artificial behaviour without snapping.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 6:36 pm

Assuming those people in the memes really said those things, I'm positive an herbal enema isn't what they had in mind.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 8:33 pm

androbot01 wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
Changing your behavior does not always equal a happier life

Exactly ... and thanks :D
goldfish and aghogday, why will neither of you address the issue of the costs of conformation? I know there are rewards to be gained from pushing oneself, especially socially. But there has to be a balance. The psyche cant handle constant artificial behaviour without snapping.

Actually, I have in detail, and researched the issue in detail as well, as linked here, and shared that information across the globe.

http://katiemiaaghogday.blogspot.com/2013/04/burnout-on-autism-spectrum.html

Trust me, I have extensive experience on both sides of this coin. :)

But thanks for asking, as otherwise how would you know. :)

I document almost everything in life, for 'good' reason. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick