If there were a legit cure for autism, would you take it?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

If there were a cure for autism, would you take it?
Yes (please comment why) 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
No 90%  90%  [ 55 ]
Total votes : 61

Sandwichpowers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2015, 9:18 pm

I'm in a debate with a supporter of the infamous Autism Speaks. Personally, no, if there were a cure, I wouldn't, because it makes up so much of who I am, bad and good alike. I also hate thinking about it as if it were a disease that needs to be cured. I wanted to know what you guys think.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 9:44 pm

Most likely, because it's caused so much depression, despair, loneliness, and suicidal urges in my life. Yeah, I have a few talents because of it, but they aren't worth all the drawbacks.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 5:11 am

Never. It's who I am. You don't ever hear normal people wanting a cure for normality or for a personality trait (as an example), so why would I want a cure because my neurology is different? The idea of a cure only benefits those who think we need to be fixed because of their idiotic perception and thoughts about us supposedly being "broken".

Jamieohs
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2016, 8:19 am

Hell no I wouldn't, its part of me, it all defines who I am, if I didn't have it I'd be just like every other person out there

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

01 Jan 2016, 9:24 am

Not a chance, and I flat out oppose the development of one, because you can be sure the authorities would not make it "voluntary" by any definition of voluntary that I understand.

My life has been and continues to be difficult, but not because I'm an Aspie, but because of how neurotypical society responds to Aspies. Taking a "cure" for something that isn't a disease is morally abhorrent, and giving in to bullying.

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 5:25 pm

Not even if they made it mandatory. Not even if it was the law to take it. Not even if I was sentenced to prison if I didn't take it. Not even if they would give me the death penalty if I didn't take it. Not even if they threatened to kill me on the spot if I didn't take it.

Everyone has a choice. They shouldn't take that kind of freedom away. I have a feeling they will someday.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 5:28 pm

There is no poll option for "It Depends".

Does the "cure" involve execution, sterilization, lobotomy, shock therapy, or drugs with severe side effects?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 5:44 pm

I would. It is an impediment to the things I would like to do with my life, and I don't think anything of value would be lost. That said, this:

Fnord wrote:
There is no poll option for "It Depends".

Does the "cure" involve execution, sterilization, lobotomy, shock therapy, or drugs with severe side effects?

... is a reasonable concern. I don't get that implication from the OP, but it's something to consider.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:04 pm

Even if the cure made me an uber neurotypical the change would probably be too much at my age.

Most importantly as an older Autistic I have a responsibility to my younger autistic relatives and the next generation of autistics. The last thing I want to do is send a message that autism is so bad or the fight for Autism acceptence is so hopeless that I need to give up.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:11 pm

There is a really great sci-fi book out there on this very topic--that a "cure" for autism is found in the near future and the autistic protagonist decides, because of pressure from his workplace, to try it. It's a really interesting "what-if" kind of story, well written and thought provoking. I thought the protagonist was well represented and very relatable, considering (as far as I know) the author is not autistic herself. It's called "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:23 pm

^ the author likely isn't, but her son is.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:25 pm

In truth, these threads tend to make me kind of bitter and depressed. Not because of the question; because of the answers people give. They just make me feel sad for others, and as for me? I feel very much alone.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:51 pm

There isn't a choice saying "I don't know"? Because that's what I'd pick. Really, I'd want to cure certain parts of it, such as my inability to read minds or my trouble with understanding body language, as well as my utter lack of executive function, but I'd want to keep my ability to memorize tons of random facts and focus intensely on my special interests.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:53 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
There isn't a choice saying "I don't know"? Because that's what I'd pick. Really, I'd want to cure certain parts of it, such as my inability to read minds or my trouble with understanding body language, as well as my utter lack of executive function, but I'd want to keep my ability to memorize tons of random facts and focus intensely on my special interests.

That sounds to me like a "soft" yes. I mean, we're talking hypothetically already so why not pick and choose? But really that seems like a good reason for the "it depends" option that's already been mentioned.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 7:07 pm

AJisHere wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

That sounds to me like a "soft" yes. I mean, we're talking hypothetically already so why not pick and choose? But really that seems like a good reason for the "it depends" option that's already been mentioned.

But the only choices are yes or no; all or nothing.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 7:11 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
But the only choices are yes or no; all or nothing.

Well, you don't have to take the poll if you don't feel like the choices reflect your idea. No worries, right?