Yes 30%  30%  [ 15 ]
No 52%  52%  [ 26 ]
Don't Know 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 50

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 12:59 am

Alex is American, of course there are lots. Doesn't matter as much though. Makes you wish some sites aimed larger, but I suspect Alex lacks funding as is.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 7:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I'm an Australian and have been told by some posters to not post my comments on American issues on a few occasions.

Yes, I've been told the same, usually when I comment upon their insane lack of responsible regulation of their firearms, the attitude expressed being along the lines of, "Why are YOU commenting about this, it only affects us anyway, and besides, your Government effectively disarmed you when they banned high-powered bazookas and anti-aircraft missiles, and so now YOU ARE COMPLETELY DEFENCELESS against the Illuminati New World Order, and you are no longer a free country, blah, blah, blah, insert additional batshit crazy gibberish here".

What they do not seem to realise is that we are not compelling them to do anything, just offering helpful advice on how to go about reducing, if not eliminating, their national tradition of having a school shooting every week. Since the Port Arthur massacre (1996), we have not had a single mass shooting in the entire country. Gun control WORKS! Try it sometime. You will thank us for it.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 7:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I think both the US and Australia (throw in Canada and NZ) have not had time to develop long traditions or stable culture.

What they all have in common is beer and sport (and of course the Americans like guns)

Just beer and sport? That's a depressing thought. At least we do not have the guns, for which we can eternally thank Johnny Howard (it was the only decision of his that I ever agreed with when he banned the damned things).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 4:05 pm

Lintar wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I'm an Australian and have been told by some posters to not post my comments on American issues on a few occasions.

Yes, I've been told the same, usually when I comment upon their insane lack of responsible regulation of their firearms, the attitude expressed being along the lines of, "Why are YOU commenting about this, it only affects us anyway, and besides, your Government effectively disarmed you when they banned high-powered bazookas and anti-aircraft missiles, and so now YOU ARE COMPLETELY DEFENCELESS against the Illuminati New World Order, and you are no longer a free country, blah, blah, blah, insert additional batshit crazy gibberish here".

What they do not seem to realise is that we are not compelling them to do anything, just offering helpful advice on how to go about reducing, if not eliminating, their national tradition of having a school shooting every week. Since the Port Arthur massacre (1996), we have not had a single mass shooting in the entire country. Gun control WORKS! Try it sometime. You will thank us for it.

I think Americans are unaware how globalised and Americanised other English speaking countries are. What happens in America impacts on Australia -particularly the stock market.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 4:09 pm

Lintar wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I think both the US and Australia (throw in Canada and NZ) have not had time to develop long traditions or stable culture.

What they all have in common is beer and sport (and of course the Americans like guns)

Just beer and sport? That's a depressing thought. At least we do not have the guns, for which we can eternally thank Johnny Howard (it was the only decision of his that I ever agreed with when he banned the damned things).

Yeah I was being somewhat facetious but effectively that's what it boils down to...
Beer/sport culture in Australia - watching AFL in the winter rugged up while downing "a tinnie" and watching the cricket in summer while "having a barbie and a cold one"
Going to the local pokies and watching the horse racing while having a beer
Watching formula 1 or supercars while having a beer

For rich people - playing golf and having a stiff drink at the end of 9 holes

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Empathy wrote:
Cyberdad, i actually recall, you mentioning a few dry spells ago, you left the U.K to enter the hot sticky climate with some empty bush fires, you now like to think of as home.

I do have a sense of place here though (to borrow the title from George Seddon's famous book) - a connection with the land that is the Australian landscape but I feel a closer connection with English culture and people as I don't think Australia has a culture, we are a nation of immigrants after all...

Add to that, all the Firelogs and Robinson Crusoe to the Australian outback, I'd be happy to come and watch all that meat roasting on your Barbie.. as long as cannibalism is out.. and Kangaroo Hunting. I've never seen a Wallaby even , up close. Then, we can all hear how our Great Ancestors created the New World Colonies and liberated itself from the Ghosts of Alcatraz, making our way through the Great Amazonian Forest and hunting down our natural species, as tribal glory.